Why do we have to be right?

Ever since I was little I was raised in the understanding that Catolicism is the one and only true faith. As I grew older and my parents allowed me to learn about other faiths and beliefs I realized that maybe everyone is right. Maybe for the catholics the catholic faith is right and maybe for the Jewish people the jewish faith is right. If we all remember Jesus was Jewish and built the Catholic faith up from the ground. And if God didn’t want us to have different faiths then why did he save the jewish and make them his"chose" people? No one has been able to answer this question for me for the last four years. I am 16 and i really started to look into my faith and find the “answers” to lifes many problems and questions but sadly did not find what i was looking for. That is when i began looking for other religions. My parents were not totally for it but finally respected my decision and gave the go ahead signal. It wasn’t easy and they only receded once i asked them if they believed in prejudice and stereotypes. they replied no. So then i asked if they believed in love. they replied yes. so then after this i asked why they believed every other religion was the wrong religion and why didn’t they love me enough to let me try my wings out and begin to identify myself or assert my own identity. They then realized that they were doing the very opposite of what they just answered. Currently i have a friend who is Wiccan. And to all catholics i am very well aware that you see this religion as satanic worship or witchcraft. Well im here to tell you that this is only partially true. It is not a satanic worship; just an alternative religion that is misunderstood and pushed aside like it is nothing. Anyway i know that this is a long message but i would like everyone to look in their souls and ask WHAT WOULD JESUS DO? because i bet he may not fully agree but he would treat them no less then he did the lepers or sinners that died next to him on their crosses.!!!

Catholicism doesn’t teach that we should treat people of other religions uncharitably. Quite the opposite. We should be charitable and loving to all people of all faiths or of no faith.

To answer teh question of “why do we have to be right?”… We don’t. We are only following the word that God himself came down to earth to give us through his Son Jesus Christ. Christianity is Judaism fulfilled. The first Christians were JEWS. Jesus is the Messiah — the one who is prophecied in the Scriptures (the Jewish Scriptures) who would come to save the Jews and he DID! Those Jews who realized this became followers of Christ… They were called “Christians” as a derogatory term, but later embraced the term and accepted it.

Christianity is not a new religion as such. It is the fulfillment of the prophecies in Judaism! Those who are Jews now are not the same as the Jews if Jesus time. That form of Judaism died with the destruction of the Temple in 70 A.D. We, the followers of Christ, are the followers of God. Others who believe in other things may simply not know the truth or choose their own beliefs and that is fine. We still love them. Jews are our brothers. However, I cannot say that I accept Wicca as a religion of God. It is a cult. However, with Christian love, I accept those people and hope that they will one day see the truth of Christ.

God Bless,

Michael

Please go to the site on my sig:eek: Yes love your friend and be prepared to help your friend.

I can tell you what Jesus would NOT want you to do and that is think that all religions lead to God. They don’t. If they did, then Jesus was either a total crazy nut who died for nothing or a liar and a fake. He himself said that “No one comes to the Father but through Me.” John 14:6. He also said, “He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.” 1John 5:12 “He who is not with Me is against Me.” Luke 11:23.

So what do you think? That he was lying? That there is a way to God through the Wicca religion or any other religion besides Christianity? Jesus said no.

How could all religions be right when they all teach something different? The Jewish faith teaches that the Messiah hasn’t come yet. Do you believe Jesus was the Messiah? Either he was or he wasn’t - we can’t both be right.

I’m sorry that you’ve tried to find the answers to life in your Catholic faith and were unsuccessful. That would be very frustrating but I beg you to look again. There are great Catholic Apologetic (books that explain why we’re right) available on this website and also in Catholic Bookstores. Does your Parish have a youth ministry type person? Maybe they could point you in the right direction?

I’m going to pray for you that you figure it out. At 16 you have your whole life in front of you and you’re going to need a strong faith to get you through.

God Bless,
CM

[quote=phatrunt29]Ever since I was little I was raised in the understanding that Catolicism is the one and only true faith. As I grew older and my parents allowed me to learn about other faiths and beliefs I realized that maybe everyone is right. Maybe for the catholics the catholic faith is right and maybe for the Jewish people the jewish faith is right. If we all remember Jesus was Jewish and built the Catholic faith up from the ground. And if God didn’t want us to have different faiths then why did he save the jewish and make them his"chose" people? No one has been able to answer this question for me for the last four years. I am 16 and i really started to look into my faith and find the “answers” to lifes many problems and questions but sadly did not find what i was looking for. That is when i began looking for other religions. My parents were not totally for it but finally respected my decision and gave the go ahead signal. It wasn’t easy and they only receded once i asked them if they believed in prejudice and stereotypes. they replied no. So then i asked if they believed in love. they replied yes. so then after this i asked why they believed every other religion was the wrong religion and why didn’t they love me enough to let me try my wings out and begin to identify myself or assert my own identity. They then realized that they were doing the very opposite of what they just answered. Currently i have a friend who is Wiccan. And to all catholics i am very well aware that you see this religion as satanic worship or witchcraft. Well im here to tell you that this is only partially true. It is not a satanic worship; just an alternative religion that is misunderstood and pushed aside like it is nothing. Anyway i know that this is a long message but i would like everyone to look in their souls and ask WHAT WOULD JESUS DO? because i bet he may not fully agree but he would treat them no less then he did the lepers or sinners that died next to him on their crosses.!!!
[/quote]

Phat,
I spent many years looking at all sorts of religions. Some make a little sense, some make a lot of sense, but only one can be 100% God’s truth. It’s not prejudice to look at religion that is false and declare it false. That doesn’t mean that we treat the adherents to that religion uncharitably, but truth is truth. The Catholic Church is either true or it isn’t. Most religions can’t be true if every other religion is true because almost every religion claims that it is the only truth! I think people nowadays want to find a religion that suits them instead of trying to find the truth and simply accept it no matter what. I call that making God in your own image. When my kids get to be your age I hope they do question their beliefs and go looking for the truth. I’m confident that evidence will lead them right back to the Catholic Church. However, I will absolutely discourage my children from trying religions on like outfits to see which one “fits” them. I think it is our responsibility to do the very best we can to prayerfully seek the truth, and accept that truth whatever it brings. This is how you find peace of mind.

**Jesus’ commandment isn’t “You shall be right,” but “You shall love one another.” Of course, it’s not necessarily wrong to be right on an issue. The problem begins when we face an inner compulsion always to be the ones who are right. If we’re too taken up with this question, then we’re continually absorbed with our self-image, and such people were precisely the ones who killed Jesus. This is an eternal pattern: the moral high-ground, that is, the same compulsion to be right and powerful that killed Jesus! Here we have to make a very delicate distinction: naturally we should be obedient to God, but we’re not supposed to maintain our positive self-image at any price (and sometimes that looks very much like obedience).

Jesus said that the prostitutes, the tax-collectors, and the sinners would enter the Reign of God rather than those who sit before him in the synagogue. When Jesus healed sick people, he always said: “Your faith has made you whole.” He never said, “Your correct doctrine, your orthodoxy, your dogmatism have healed you.”

**Richard Rohr [Franciscan priest], Simplicity: The Freedom of Letting Go. Revised and updated edition, 2003, p.78.

[quote=phatrunt29]. t i would like everyone to look in their souls and ask WHAT WOULD JESUS DO? because i bet he may not fully agree but he would treat them no less then he did the lepers or sinners that died next to him on their crosses.!!!
[/quote]

since you appeal to Jesus, I suggest you read Mark’s Gospel today. It is the shortest and you can do it at one sitting, or at least in two. See what Jesus has to say about those who do not heed his word, who have heard and accepted his word but later reject him, who teach untruth to others, especially children, and who reject him as God, Lord and Savior.

Just curious. So why are you intrigued with Wiccan?

Is it charitable not to share the truth with others? Charity demands we bring as many to the fullness of truth as we can.

[quote=phatrunt29] Anyway i know that this is a long message but i would like everyone to look in their souls and ask WHAT WOULD JESUS DO? because i bet he may not fully agree but he would treat them no less then he did the lepers or sinners that died next to him on their crosses.!!!
[/quote]

What Jesus did was to cure and forgive those who believed in him. He didn’t allow both of the sinners on the cross into heaven, just one of them; the repentant one.

Jesus created a church on earth, just one. What would Jesus want YOU to do? I doubt he’d want you dabbling in cults.

Love the sinners, hate the sins; pray for them instead.

Are you exploring other religions to find one that is the most true, or one that makes you the most happy? You need to be honest with yourself about what it is you are looking for, and why you are looking for that thing, and if the “what” and the “why” are the right “what” and the right “why”.

I think to answer these questions you need to decide why the universe exists and why you exist in it.

Im glad to see all of you replying but i still think you might miss the overall message. God wants us to love everyone but yet tells us that so many people’s actions and beliefs are wrong. So how do we love what we arn’t allow to love? If you are gay then you can’t love another man or woman for all their worth like you can when you are in a heterosexual relationship! And how do you all now there is one correct religion? Maybe Jesus was a paranoid schizophrenic who was constantly around other feeble minded people who were lost and willing to believe anything? maybe everyone is right!!! Maybe whatever your beliefs are right. Even though Jesus said he is the path to God i never said he wasn’t! I just said that maybe if you believe in reincarnation thats what happens, if you believe in Jesus and God you go to Heaven, and if you believe in divine knowledge through constant coming back to Earth until you know all well then that is what will happen. I want solitary proof that Catholicism is the one and only true way to the end! Whatever that may be. And don’t come back to me quoting the bible about Thomas the doubter and that he had to see to believe because that is my least favorite scripture!!!

[quote=phatrunt29]Im glad to see all of you replying but i still think you might miss the overall message. God wants us to love everyone but yet tells us that so many people’s actions and beliefs are wrong. So how do we love what we arn’t allow to love?
[/quote]

If you are gay then you can’t love another man or woman for all their worth like you can when you are in a heterosexual relationship!
Homosexual can’t love one another like heterosexuals because homosexuals can’t bring life in to the world.

[quote=phatrunt29]And how do you all now there is one correct religion? Maybe Jesus was a paranoid schizophrenic who was constantly around other feeble minded people who were lost and willing to believe anything? maybe everyone is right!!! Maybe whatever your beliefs are right.
[/quote]

Do you want to believe that to reaffirm to yourself that you actions are acceptable? Christianity is not the easy path.

[quote=phatrunt29]Even though Jesus said he is the path to God i never said he wasn’t! I just said that maybe if you believe in reincarnation thats what happens, if you believe in Jesus and God you go to Heaven, and if you believe in divine knowledge through constant coming back to Earth until you know all well then that is what will happen.
[/quote]

Yours is a very easy path.

[quote=phatrunt29]I want solitary proof that Catholicism is the one and only true way to the end! Whatever that may be. And don’t come back to me quoting the bible about Thomas the doubter and that he had to see to believe because that is my least favorite scripture!!!
[/quote]

Jesus teaches perfect morality. He knows it a hard path and you will stumble but you can get back on the correct path through reconciliation. Jesus teaches perfection. God is perfection. There’s your proof.

[quote=phatrunt29]because i bet he may not fully agree but he would treat them no less then he did the lepers or sinners that died next to him on their crosses.!!!
[/quote]

He would give them the TRUTH with love and try to convert them to “the way, the TRUTH, and the life!”. Jesus Himself gave the keys of the kingdom to Peter and said “whatsoever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven, whatsoever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven.” The Catholic Church is the Church which Jesus Christ founded as the means to get to Him, and through Him, salvation and everlasting life.

May the love of God, the peace of Jesus Christ and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you always.

[quote=Ahimsa]**Jesus said that the prostitutes, the tax-collectors, and the sinners would enter the Reign of God rather than those who sit before him in the synagogue. **
[/quote]

He hung with them to bring them to repentance. He Himself said those who are already healthy have not need of care. Because He loved them He wanted to heal them of these spiritual ills.

God Bless.

“Dominus Iesus” is a great document that talks about the role of other faiths and the Church’s relationship with them. It was actually written by our new pope back when he was prefect for the CDF. This seems to be a pertinent part. I recommend reading the whole document. It’s a great read.

vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20000806_dominus-iesus_en.html

[font=Times New Roman]Those who obey the promptings of the Spirit of truth are already on the way of salvation. But the Church, to whom this truth has been entrusted, must go out to meet their desire, so as to bring them the truth. Because she believes in God’s universal plan of salvation, the Church must be missionary”.96 Inter[font=Times New Roman]-[/font]religious dialogue, therefore, as part of her evangelizing mission, is just one of the actions of the Church in her mission ad gentes.97 Equality, which is a presupposition of inter-religious dialogue, refers to the equal personal dignity of the parties in dialogue, not to doctrinal content, nor even less to the position of Jesus Christ — who is God himself made man — in relation to the founders of the other religions. Indeed, the Church, guided by charity and respect for freedom,98 must be primarily committed to proclaiming to all people the truth definitively revealed by the Lord, and to announcing the necessity of conversion to Jesus Christ and of adherence to the Church through Baptism and the other sacraments, in order to participate fully in communion with God, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

[/font]

Hi Phat.

The easiest answer to your question why do we have to be right is this: We have to be right because that is where our dignity as humans stand: where rightousness is. I’m talking about freedom and human dignity. Read about what the late Pope John Paul II said about being free and to do what is right. It’s on my signature on this forum.

Now being right as far as Religion is concerned, is just a part, a small part, of that big umbrella to which being right in all aspects belong. When we are not doing what is right and what we ought to do, we are like slaves of our own guilts. Let me explain further.

Why do we have to be right? It’s that small voice within ourselves that tell us we ought to be right in all aspects. The voice is what we call conscience - the basis of human morality that tells each individual what is right and what is wrong. Suppose you steal your classmate’s pencil. It is that small voice that tells you, you are wrong in stealing your classmate’s pencil because it doesn’t belong to you. It’s that small voice within you that tells you to return it back and say sorry and not to do it again. Why do we feel guilty whenever we do something that is not right? It’s because of that small voice we call conscience. Trust me that if you believe in God regardless of what your Religion is, that small voice within yourself is God’s voice. After all, your body is his temple.

Now going back to the particular: the Catholic Church in which you ask for a solitary proof. Well, a solitary proof is like asking for a quick shortcut. I can give you historical facts, scripture references, show you the majestic beauty of the church, it’s heirarchy through the centuries and stuff like that, but I am sure that would mean nothing to you. The church is a community of believers. You want a proof? I say, experience it yourself and you will get the proof you ask.

Did you ever ask yourself why you feel this way? Did you ever ask yourself why you want to know why we have to be right? Did you ever ask yourself why bother all these people with your question why we have to be right? If you didn’t, then I tell you…It’s that small voice within yourself that is telling you to seek out for the truth and what is right. We all go through that. A lot of them find their way to the truth, a lot of them also find themselves lost.
It’s like a journey. They call it spiritual journey. Well, I will include you in my prayers as you go through this journey. God bless.

PAX

[quote=phatrunt29]Im glad to see all of you replying but i still think you might miss the overall message. God wants us to love everyone but yet tells us that so many people’s actions and beliefs are wrong. So how do we love what we arn’t allow to love? If you are gay then you can’t love another man or woman for all their worth like you can when you are in a heterosexual relationship! And how do you all now there is one correct religion? Maybe Jesus was a paranoid schizophrenic who was constantly around other feeble minded people who were lost and willing to believe anything? maybe everyone is right!!! Maybe whatever your beliefs are right. Even though Jesus said he is the path to God i never said he wasn’t! I just said that maybe if you believe in reincarnation thats what happens, if you believe in Jesus and God you go to Heaven, and if you believe in divine knowledge through constant coming back to Earth until you know all well then that is what will happen. I want solitary proof that Catholicism is the one and only true way to the end! Whatever that may be. And don’t come back to me quoting the bible about Thomas the doubter and that he had to see to believe because that is my least favorite scripture!!!
[/quote]

Dear Phatrunt29,

You have a lot of questions here. Let me see if I can address some of them.

(1) Maybe everybody is right, and whatever you believe is what will happen.

When I was 19 years old I caught pneumonia and my left lung collapsed. I was a devout Christian then and was all set for God to heal me of my illness. After all, Jesus had healed all those people in the Bible, hadn’t He? I had the unshakeable, move-mountains-into-the-sea type of faith. And heal me God did: He put me in the hospital for four days with a tube sticking out of my chest.

This is my personal example of why it is good to be right: you make fewer mistakes that way. God never promised me that He would heal me miraculously, the way Jesus healed people in the Bible. That was a mistake on my part, and it was a false doctrine of the Christian community that I was part of at the time. Being wrong just about killed me.

Marxism is an example of being wrong on a larger scale. Marxism teaches that people are made evil by bad surroundings, and that if you put people into the right environment they will be good. This contradicts the Catholic teaching of original sin. The Soviets embraced Marxism and tried their very best to make people good by putting them into the correct environment. They failed, at the cost of untold suffering on the part of hundreds of millions of people. Simply put, being wrong causes problems.

The Catholic Church makes several statements about human nature and about the universe. If these statements are wrong, we do not have to pay attention to them; if they are correct, we ignore them at our peril. I found this out with my lung; the Communist Russians found it out at much greater cost. It really didn’t matter how strongly we believed what we believed in; we were wrong, and things did not work the way we thought they would.

If I may answer your question about “why do we have to be right,” the Catholic Church doesn’t have to be right matters of faith and doctrine; she simply is right. Where other religions agree with Catholic teachings, they are also right. Where they contradict Catholic teachings, they are wrong; if I say that two plus two equals five and you say two plus two equals four, we cannot both be right. Again, this does not mean that I do not love people who follow other religions; it means simply that they are making mistakes.

(2) God wants us to love everyone but yet tells us that so many people’s actions and beliefs are wrong.

Well, yes, that is exactly the state of the world. If someone is driving his car towards the edge of a cliff, you would want to warn him about it, wouldn’t you? Not telling him that he is making a mistake so that you don’t hurt his feelings would be a very false mercy.

(3) How are we supposed to love when we are not allowed to love?

There is a vast confusion in modern American society between love and sex. The two are very different things. Married people frequently express their love to each other in a sexual manner, but there are plenty of other ways to express love as well. The Church’s prohibitions against sexual activity are a lot broader than simply homosexuality; there are three billion members of the opposite sex to whom we are not supposed express our love in a sexual manner either.

(4) Maybe Jesus was a paranoid schizophrenic who was constantly around other feeble minded people.

Well, before I believe that I will need some evidence to back it up. As some counter-evidence, I submit to you the parables He told and the debates He had with the religious authorities. Those are not the work of a paranoid schizophrenic or of the feeble-minded. And there is also the minor matter of the Resurrection; most people who die stay dead.

Really, I wish the so-called skeptics would exercise a little skepticism towards these hair-brained theories that get thrown around. Most of the supposed arguments against Catholicism don’t stand up to even five minutes of rational attention.

(5) I want solitary proof that Catholicism is the one and only true way to the end!

When you ask for “solitary proof that Catholicism is the one and only true way” you ask for too much. Proof does not exist outside the mathematical world; even in science nothing is absolutely proven completely. Let me challenge you: prove to me that you exist. The only evidence that I have for your existence is a few postings on a website.

• Liberian

[quote=phatrunt29]Im glad to see all of you replying but i still think you might miss the overall message. God wants us to love everyone but yet tells us that so many people’s actions and beliefs are wrong. So how do we love what we arn’t allow to love? If you are gay then you can’t love another man or woman for all their worth like you can when you are in a heterosexual relationship! And how do you all now there is one correct religion? Maybe Jesus was a paranoid schizophrenic who was constantly around other feeble minded people who were lost and willing to believe anything? maybe everyone is right!!! Maybe whatever your beliefs are right. Even though Jesus said he is the path to God i never said he wasn’t! I just said that maybe if you believe in reincarnation thats what happens, if you believe in Jesus and God you go to Heaven, and if you believe in divine knowledge through constant coming back to Earth until you know all well then that is what will happen. I want solitary proof that Catholicism is the one and only true way to the end! Whatever that may be. And don’t come back to me quoting the bible about Thomas the doubter and that he had to see to believe because that is my least favorite scripture!!!
[/quote]

I’m not trying to indulge in psychoanalysis here but two things you wrote stand out from the rest. In the beginning you wrote about love. In Greek there are three words for love, unfortunately, in English, we have only one.
Love is not limited to an emotion, it is also a decision, a choice. Christ said, “Love one another as I have loved you.” Any of the Passion narratives speak volumes about how Christ has loved us. At the end of your post you ask for “solitary proof.” What would you consider to be “solitary proof?”

Here is the biggest reason why we Catholics have to be right: I posted about this site on another thread. You can see here the extent of Protestantism’s error in sola scriptura, to the point that we now get a Protestant pastor claiming himself to be the Son of God–the very height of blasphemy. All this from his reading of the Bible only.[/font]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.