Why do we mourn the victims of abortion?

If we believe that pre-born children go to Heaven when they are murdered, then why do we feel so bad for them? What is bad about skipping this life? Isn’t the only real damage done to the murderer’s soul?

Who believes that pre-born children go to heaven when they are murdered? That is not teaching of the Church.

We are taught to trust the mercy of God.

Oh, I guess I misunderstood. Can you elaborate on what that means?

Everybody has their purpose for existence. There’s an absence where they never got the chance to do what they were created to do.

We don’t see those people necessarily being in heaven. They could be in hell for all we know, thats why the church says to trust the mercy of God.
In the past the exsistence of limbo was also propossed

It means we do not know definitely if they go to Heaven based on the sources and knowledge available to us, but we trust in God’s mercy that He would find a way for the souls of aborted babies to get there.

As for why we feel sorry for them, it’s not just them being denied life, it’s also that abortions are painful. They burn, or pull the baby apart in the womb. Late term ones get even gorier.

There is also the sadness we feel for a baby that was not loved or wanted by its mother.

You seem to be suggesting that humans have power over God, and can disrupt his plan.

Thank you, I understand now.

Right.Some of those babies could have impacted the world so much for the better too…priests,popes,politicians,doctors
and every day good people having a ripple affect amongst all those who may have known them.Souls created in Gods image
and to love and serve Him

This is more of mourning for the world’s loss, which I already understood.

I guess some of those lost could have saved souls,so …more than just the worlds loss

Every child is in the state of original sin inherited from our first parents Adam and Eve. In other words, a child is conceived and born separated from God spiritually.

Jesus restores this by applying the merits of His grace earned on the cross through baptism. Unless a man be born again through water and the spirit cannot enter the kingdom of heaven (John 3:1-6).

Baptism is the only KNOWN means of obtaining the grace to enter heaven. Children killed in abortion have not committed any personal sin, but they are still objectively without supernatural grace to enter heaven as it was lost for all mankind through Adam and Eve. A crude way of expressing it is that they are not part of God’s family, they are only part of Adam’s family.

However, God is a just judge, therefore we Hope for their salvation even though we do not know the means of Christ merits that may be applied to them. Therefore, we trust in the mercy of God who wills all to be saved. This could also be applied to other instances besides children killed in the womb.

My thoughts are ,that if the post abortive mother and father are able to receive God’s mercy and forgiveness if they come to God with sorrow and regret,why then would God deny the truly innocent baby and opportunity for eternal life with Him as well?:pray:

I guess we can only be saved by each other. Most don’t choose Baptism for themselves, it is chosen for them. That’s why we need to keep praying for everyone that has been aborted, and trust in God’s mercy the way it has been explained here.

That just might be the best answer I have ever heard when this question is posed. Thumbs up Jeanne!!

I tell people that if it weren’t for abortion there is a good chance we might have the cures for all major diseases and the answers for world problems but the person who may have been the one to develop those cures and those answers has probably been aborted. Over 3000 babies a DAY are murdered by abortion. How Totally unacceptable and wrong.

God isn’t surprised by our decisions. But he allows us to make them. How he handles the details-- and manages the aftermath-- is totally up to him.

That’s why Mary’s yes was important. She could have said no, because she’s not a robot. But she chose yes.
We’re not robots, either. But a lot of times, we choose no instead of yes.

Perhaps I see someone who is sad/depressed/whatever. I can ignore them, or I can give them a smile and a compliment. It’s my choice. If I ignore them, nothing may happen. Or terrible things might happen, because I was supposed to brighten their day, and because I failed to brighten their day, they went on to do something terrible, because they thought no one cared about them/no one would notice if they were gone/it would be better off if they were dead/whatever.

Suppose God knows that I’m supposed to say something nice to a random stranger, and I don’t. Perhaps God can send a backup stranger to do the same thing I should have done. Or perhaps he doesn’t.

Now, suppose I was supposed to be somewhere to run into a random stranger, but I died in a car accident because of a drunk driver. Or perhaps I was aborted before I was born. Or I was murdered by a jealous boyfriend. Or whatever. There’s a vacuum where I could have influenced things— but I wasn’t around to do it. It’s not a surprise to God that my life ended sooner than it should have. And maybe there’s a backup plan, and maybe there isn’t. The person responsible for my death is not only responsible for my death, but for all the good I should have done that I failed to do.

Can you imagine being responsible for a whole lifetime’s worth of good works that never took place? What if that person was to be a priest? Or a Pope? Or a cancer doctor? Or a teacher? Or someone who is treasured by society in some way? What if they were supposed to be a mother? You’ve just wiped out an entire line of human beings who should have existed, but never had the chance.

My great-grandmother, for example, took a walk in the snow from Town A to Town B with her infant, because she didn’t have transportation. Her infant caught pneumonia. The infant was in great danger of dying, but its life was saved. If that infant had died, she never would have gone on to have four children, and those four children would never have gone on to have thirteen or fourteen grandchildren (including one seminarian), and those grandchildren would never have gone on to have three or four great-grandchildren. I wouldn’t have existed; I wouldn’t have married my husband, let alone had my children. My husband wouldn’t have gone into his career, or moved to this town. His career includes numerous cases where he watches over the legal rights of children and incapacitated adults, and he takes it much more seriously than many people in the same line of work. And a bunch of vulnerable children would have a good chance of lacking a diligent advocate— if one foolish decision almost 100 years ago had resulted in the death of a single small infant.

Our actions have ripples, for the good and for the bad. That’s why we get two judgments: our particular judgment, where we get judged immediately after death, and our general judgment, which happens at the end of time. And that’s why it happens at the end of time, because some people’s influences continue to ripple throughout time, for the good and through the bad, and it’s not until you get to the end of time that the effects of those actions are completed.

1261 As regards children who have died without Baptism, the Church can only entrust them to the mercy of God, as she does in her funeral rites for them. Indeed, the great mercy of God who desires that all men should be saved, and Jesus’ tenderness toward children which caused him to say: “Let the children come to me, do not hinder them,” allow us to hope that there is a way of salvation for children who have died without Baptism. All the more urgent is the Church’s call not to prevent little children coming to Christ through the gift of holy Baptism.

http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/para/1261.htm

If you believe that a soul who has just been to confession and is in a state of grace goes to heaven, why do we feel bad for them when they are brutally murdered in a most cruel way upon leaving the Church?

God Bless

Thank you for reading.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.