I don’t understand why if we go to confession and our sins are forgiven, do we have to spend time in Purgatory??
Catechism (emphasis added):
**1496 **The spiritual effects of the sacrament of Penance are:
- reconciliation with God by which the penitent recovers grace;
- reconciliation with the Church;
- remission of the eternal punishment incurred by mortal sins;
- remission, at least in part, of temporal punishments resulting from sin;
- peace and serenity of conscience, and spiritual consolation;
- an increase of spiritual strength for the Christian battle.
Confession remits the eternal punishment due to sin, but it does not entirely remit the temporal punishment due to sin. If temporal punishment has not been remitted due to good works or indulgences then Purgatory cleanses us.