Why do we need to ordain priests?

I hate to post twice but :

Only God can forgive sins, Scripture says so, and the Catholic Church teaches that Jesus gave this power to the twelve and through Apostolic succession, and only through apostolic succession, can I* know* that my sins are absolved by my Priest in the most Holy Sacrament of Reconciliation when he says those precious words “I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.” That’s when I know for sure I am truly forgiven of all my sins, Jesus said so. Thank you Lord for this most precious gift you gave us, the Priesthoood

Mark 2:10-11
10 But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority to forgive sins on earth”—11 he said to the paralytic, “I say to you, rise, pick up your mat, and go home.”

Luke 5:21
21 Then the scribes and Pharisees began to ask themselves, “Who is this who speaks blasphemies? Who but God alone can forgive sins?”

Matt 16:19[font=Arial][/font]
“I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven”[font=Arial][/font]

John 20:21- 23
21 Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” 22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the holy Spirit. 23 Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained.” [font=Arial][/font]

I think that your explanation your question also explains the answer. To be honest, I think you answer it yourself.

[quote=jpy15026]I hate to post twice but :

Only God can forgive sins, Scripture says so, and the Catholic Church teaches that Jesus gave this power to the twelve and through Apostolic succession, and only through apostolic succession…

Matt 16:19[font=Arial][/font]
"I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven"[font=Arial][/font]

John 20:21- 23
21 Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” 22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the holy Spirit. 23 Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained.” [font=Arial][/font]
[/quote]

Correct; only God can forgive sins and God passed that authority along as you noted… Also, remember that Jesus was speaking to His apostles when He said those things. And let’s not forget a couple other things Our Lord said to his apostles:

Luk 11:4* Forgive us our sins, for we forgive everyone who does us wrong. And do not bring us to hard testing.’ "*

Mat 18:33-35* You should have had mercy on your fellow servant, just as I had mercy on you.’ The king was very angry, and he sent the servant to jail to be punished until he should pay back the whole amount." And Jesus concluded, “That is how my Father in heaven will treat every one of you unless you forgive from heart.”*

Luk 17:3-4* So watch what you do! “If sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him. If he sins against you seven times in one day, and each time he comes to you saying, ‘I repent,’ you must forgive him.”*

[quote=ChiFaithful]I think that your explanation your question also explains the answer. To be honest, I think you answer it yourself.
[/quote]

Yep, and quite nicely too…

I should have titled it THIS is why we need to ordain Priests.

Jesus imparted to his apostles, their successors, and through them to all ordained priests, his own power to forgive sins,Persona Christe**,** to restore and reconcile the sinner with God and also the Church. This power to forgive sins is often referred to as the “power of the keys”, the power entrusted to the Church when Jesus told St. Peter, “I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven” (Matt 16:19). This power is manifested and operative in the sacrament of Penance.
In establishing his Church, Christ passed on to her the power to forgive sins,** Persona Christe**, Just as he forgave sins, so would those chosen by him to be his apostles have the extraordinary power,** Persona Christe**, to forgive sins… The priest who by ordination is configured to Christ absolves sinners, not in his own name and power, but in the name and person of Jesus

It is in the name of Christ, Persona Christe, that the priest pronounces the Savior’s mercy: “I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.”

If there’s still any confusion, just look to James, Chapter (5:14-15)
*** Is anyone among you sick? He should summon the presbyters*** of the church, and they should pray over him and anoint (him) with oil in the name of the Lord, and the prayer of faith will save the sick person, and the Lord will raise him up. If he has committed any sins, he will be forgiven.

'nuff said!

Notworthy

[quote=NotWorthy]If there’s still any confusion, just look to James, Chapter (5:14-15)
Is anyone among you sick? He should summon the presbyters of the church, and they should pray over him and anoint (him) with oil in the name of the Lord, and the prayer of faith will save the sick person, and the Lord will raise him up. If he has committed any sins, he will be forgiven.

'nuff said!

Notworthy
[/quote]

And the etymology of the word “presbyter” includes the late Latin meaning “priest”. Just in case somone decides to post; “the word priest is not in the bible”. :whistle:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.