Why do we not celebrate the same holy days in the U.S.?

I’m sorry you have to go through that. I know medical personnel are considered very essential, but at the same time you shouldn’t be made to work when you are ill. I hope you can find a better position where the management does not force sick people in to work.

1 Like

We just accept it comes with the territory. It is a love hate relationship as far as nursing goes. But, thank you.

1 Like

The Swiss Guard is the last example of what was once numerous Swiss Guards you should bear in mind.

Holy days come in three ranks. In descending order of seniority they are solemnity, feast and memorial. With respect to solemnities the Church has prescribed ten of them as solemnities of precept, i.e. like Sundays they must be kept as holy days of obligation. The ten are Our Lord’s Nativity (25th December), the Lord’s Epiphany (6th January), Ascension of the Lord (Thursday in Sixth Week of Easter), Corpus Christi (Thursday after Trinity Sunday), Mary Mother of God (1st January), Assumption of BVM (15th August), Immaculate Conception of BVM (8th December), St Joseph (19th March), Ss Peter & Paul (29th June) and All Saints (1st November). The Church allows episcopal (bishops’) conferences to remove the precepts from these days so that they are not holy days of obligation. The Holy See requests that each conference retain Our Lord’s Nativity and one of the three in honour of Our Lady. It also prescribes that regarding Epiphany, Ascension and Corpus Christi they are to be transferred permanently to Sundays in countries where the precept has been removed. The holy day still exists and is observed at Mass and Office but there is no obligation on us to go to Mass is the precept has been removed.

In England and Wales we have kept the Lord’s Nativity, Epiphany, Ascension; Our Lady’s Assumption; Ss Peter & Paul and All Saints. Corpus Christi here is now always on the Sunday after Trinity Sunday. For us, Mary Mother of God, Immaculate Conception and St Joseph are not holy days of obligation.

Episcopal conferences can also bring in other rules around these holy days. In England and Wales if the Epiphany, Assumption, Ss Peter & Paul or All Saints fall on a Monday or Saturday they’re to be transferred to the Sunday so there isn’t two holy days of obligation in a row.

I hope this answers your question.

1 Like

Oh hadn’t realised that these Holy Days are not observed in America. They are in my country/parish. Having said that some are not statutory holidays like Christmas and Easter. I normally get time off work .

The priest blesses and chalk my home during Epiphany.

:scream:

It’s the 21st century and some cantons in Switzerland of all places still ban Catholic processions?!?

1 Like

Do you have vacation days? That’s what I always use to take Holy Days of Obligation and Fast Days of Obligation off.

2 Likes

Epiphany is transferred to the Sunday after the Christmas Octave and Corpus Christi to the following Sunday.

That’s what I do with my vacation days - which reminds me: I have to make up my list for next year! Thank you - You’re a God-send!

Sorry didn’t make myself clear. I attend TLM, so in the Southern Hemisphere Epiphany this year if I remember rightly was on the Monday.

Remind me to find you some footage of the wonderful world of the north or Ireland and people burning effigies of the Pope which occurs every single year. Not to mention particular politicians there who walk around grumbling away about Papists about ‘Scarlet Women’. But just for giggles here’s a rather famous bit of footage:-

The bloke who throws a load of paperwork at one point of the chest of Ian Paisley as he heckles the Pope and gestures for him to get out probably sums up what many people think of such poor manners.

My Scots Presbyterian in-laws expressed to me how much they couldn’t stand Ian Paisley.

He’s an odd figure indeed. He was actually instrumental at one point in preventing a whole island of people in the north who were mostly Catholic losing their livelihood and he’s not easy to sum up. I had the er, joy of meeting him briefly once only but he was a very old man by that point and regardless of his politics I wouldn’t wind up a man in his mid 80’s. He was at an event which involved members of various political parties. Even Irish republicans found him complex to sum up and regardless of his own personal highly bigoted outlook regarding Catholicism he understood conditions ‘on the ground’ in a way British politicians never did or could in most cases.

Well, I have prayed for his soul because we’re supposed to love our enemies, so I hope God forgave him his bigotry.

I often wondered how much of his blather was just done to get attention.

Oh no he really did believe it, I worked with someone who joined his Church and Ian really did believe what he said. The British never truly understood him, I recall him telling Blair at one point he would walk out on him because of certain issues where he felt Blair was mucking both sides about during peace talks. Blair thought this was brinskmanship of bluffing of the kind you get in politics, till Ian walked out the door. His son carries on the same tradition but is a pale imitation and his father never attracted scandal about personal honesty or fiddling with cash whereas his son has. It says something to the complexities of the north that when he died Martin McGuiness was obviously deeply saddened at his funeral despite the fact they were bitter political rivals and he also had a tradition of spending Christmases at the home of John Hume of the SDLP and Hume was a remarkably devout Catholic.

Off topic mind you - we won’t be doing any holy days of obligation for a bit in the UK here as we are of course in lockdown two and most Churches have notes on the doors. Ours has a note given you a phone number for the parish and notes the Church is open for private prayer for two hours a day provided it doesn’t become over full but it is preferable if people spend 20 or 30 minutes max in prayer if entering. That’s possible with that Church because it is very large inside. It wouldn’t be possible with many others. Some of the local Churches have er, been ignoring the lockdown which led to arrests in the Baptist Church nearby of the pastor. They actually released him after giving him a warning and the smallest fine possible (200 pound) but warned him next time it would be treated more seriously.

Is this enforced or is it one of those old laws that technically never got repealed but that nobody pays attention to?

Yeah. :woman_facepalming:

It is enforced. One single village in the whole canton is authorized to hold processions because it’s always been mainly Catholic, even throughout Reformation.

I think the authorities have no interest in repelling it because it’s a good pretext to ban expressions of religious belief from public space.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.