Why do we pray the Fatima prayer during rosary?

Why do we pray the Fatima prayer during the rosary? I prefer to omit it and keep up the flow of each decade. I prefer the bare bones rosary. I already have enough problems with maintaining my focus on each mystery. Why do you pray the Fatima prayer?

atassina said** : “Why do we pray the Fatima prayer during the Rosary?”
Each person decides to recite the Fatima Prayer during a Rosary IF he (or she) wants to.
Therefore, you must want to say it … or, you wouldn’t say it.

But WAIT, there’s more** : “I prefer to omit it and keep up the flow of each decade. I prefer the bare bones Rosary.”**

Well, like I said, there is NO reason that you must recite the Fatima Prayer (even ONCE) during a Rosary.
So, why are you reciting it, if you don’t want to?

And finally** : “Why do you pray the Fatima prayer?”**

I Don’t.
I do most of my Rosary recitations at Daily Mass, with the Congregation.
We sure don’t say it.
And, I do some at home, without it too.
Once in a while, I will add it to my Rosary.

Thanks. I liked the content and format or your reply.

It was requested, as the name suggests, by Our Lady at Fatima. Though I highly recommend it, saying the prayer after each decade is by no means obligatory.

I grew up in the 1950’s and we did not pray the Fatima prayer–we just prayed the “bare bones” rosary both at home and in the Catholic school I went to. I do not know when it became widespread to use it. It certainly is not necessary to pray it. I usually say it because I usually say the Rosary with a group of people, or lead it as a Lay Leader of Prayer, and that is how the people are used to praying it.

The Rosary is a private devotion, not an official prayer of the Church, thus you may say it in any manner you like.

I pray it because Mary asked the boys to add it at Fatima.

The Rosary groups I attend all do it too (except they add many more too)

God Bless

Because Mary told us to. That should be reason enough right?

1 Like

Because it’s a beautiful prayer -

Oh my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the FIRES OF HELL, lead all souls to Heaven, ESPECIALLY those in need of thy mercy.

I do because Mary asked it. But it’s not obligatory, it’s a personal decision. If it doesn’t work for you, don’t worry about it. It’s wonderful that you pray the Rosary.

I do because Mary asked us to and what is said above. It’s beautiful.:slight_smile:

Definitely beautiful…actually one of my favorite parts of the rosary.

Mine too. :thumbsup:

1 Like

“Why do we pray the Fatima prayer during the rosary?”
Simply because our Blessed Mother asked us to, but we aren’t obligated to pray the Fatima prayer.

“Why do you pray the Fatima prayer?”
I personally have just always prayed the Fatima prayer because I have gone to a few steubenville retreats (when I was a teen, I’m now a young adult).

I personally like to pray the whole decade (the Our Father & Hail Mary’s), then the Glory Be, then the Fatima Prayer, then lastly the Prayer of St. Gertrude.

Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the masses said throughout the world today, for all the holy souls in purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal church, those in my own home and within my family. Amen.

St. Gertrude the Great was a Benedictine nun and mystic who lived in the 13th century. According to tradition, our Lord promised her that 1000 souls would be released from purgatory each time it is said devoutly.

Then when after I pray Hail Holy Queen, I pray Spiritual Adoption prayer (below), then finally the prayer to St. Mike (below spiritual adoption prayer)

“Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I love you very much. I beg you to spare the life of [baby’s name] the unborn baby that I have spiritually adopted who is in danger of abortion.” -Archbishop Fulton Sheen

Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle, be our protection against the malice and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all evil spirits who wander through the world for the ruin of souls. Amen.

Praying the Rosary so long as you have the basics and meditating on the Gospel mysteries is what it’s all about. :thumbsup:

I think you mean children. There was inly one boy Francisco.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.