Why do we pray to convert people who in all likelihood will never convert?

For example, I see people talking about praying for obama. Why? He’s an evil man and will probably never change his pro choice views. Unfortunately we are stuck with him and his lot of Democratic pro choicers. But why should we pray for them? They won’t convert. I’ve never heard of any pro choicer in Washington who has changed their mind. I mean sure it could happen but it hasn’t The only way we can stop pro choicers is to kick’em out of office.

Well, there are different reasons. One is human compassion, not wanting to see someone continue on an evil path or risk damnation.

Another is the example set by Christ, who prayed for those who hated Him. Though there was little chance of His tormentors and opponents ever changing their ways, He still wanted them to.

And another, I suppose, would be the off-chance of divine intervention in the matter; of God entering their lives in such a way as to cause a radical change in their perception of the world.

I understand what you’re saying, but some of the greatest saints have at one time been some of the greatest sinners. We all are deceived by the same enemy, and so we all need to pray for one another. We should want each and every person on earth to go to Heaven. Jesus died for Obama too, and so therefore we should pray for him.

Matthew 5:44
But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,**

My Marian Missal (1962) contains a prayer for the government.

Christ told us to pray for those who persecute us.

And even if something is impossible to man, nothing is impossible to God.

By the way, perhaps you may want to know that Norma Leah McCorvey, better known by the legal pseudonym “Jane Roe” (remember “Roe vs. Wade” in 1973?) was baptized on August 8, 1995, and in 1998 she completed RCIA and became a member of the Catholic Church. She is now active in pro-life causes. Below a few of her statements:

Most every American alive today has heard of Roe vs. Wade and knows what that means. But few people know that I was Jane Roe in the case 35 years ago that legalized abortion on demand. I was persuaded by feminist attorneys to lie; to say that I was raped, and needed an abortion. It was all a lie. Since then, over 50 million babies have been murdered. I will take this burden to my grave.

I was sitting in O.R.'s offices when I noticed a fetal development poster. The progression was so obvious, the eyes were so sweet. It hurt my heart. I kept seeing the picture of that tiny, 10-week-old embryo, and I said to myself, that’s a baby! I felt crushed under the truth of this realization. I had to face up to the awful reality. Abortion wasn’t about ‘products of conception’. It wasn’t about ‘missed periods’. It was about children being killed in their mother’s wombs. All those years I was wrong. Signing that affidavit, I was wrong. Working in an abortion clinic, I was wrong. Abortion — at any point — was wrong. It was so clear. Painfully clear.

Today as a born again Christian and faithful Catholic, I am working to reverse Roe and I am urgently asking for your help right now. You read about me in history books, but now I am dedicated to spreading the truth about preserving the dignity of all human life from natural conception to natural death. I am dedicated to spending the rest of my life undoing the law that bears my name.

You can see a video of her, here.

Trust in God, please! Trust in God.

"Pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death".

Just because we don’t see them answered, doesn’t mean they are not answered. How many souls were saved at the hour of their death by Our Mother?

I pray fairly often for James White, Richard Dawkins, and the like. I do wonder why I bother when I don’t really expect them to have a change of heart. But it’s still worth trying.

Every Sunday, we pray for the queen (strange, eh?–well I’m Canadian :D), those holding political office, and the military. I still find it jarring, after eight months of regularly attending Eastern Orthodox Divine Liturgy.

I have prayed for people who I thought would never change…and they did.

There are also stories out there about people who were very pro-abortion who had a change of heart. Also stories of anti-Catholic atheists who had a change of heart.

In fact, one of my daughter’s friends is in the last category. Now he attends daily Mass and will be received into the Church next Easter Vigil.

People will surprise you. Obama may yet understand the error of his ways.

More than that, prayer can help soften hearts. So, for example, when you pray for your enemies, praying can help us to care for them. I think God would want that, even if the person you are praying for never changes. It can change you…make you more compassionate and caring, and even grateful.

Yes, it’s really quite clear.

Not only is Christ’s instruction clear, but His example is very compelling. That example being that Christ prayed to the Father to forgive the men who were pounding nails into His hands and feet, as they were doing it. That’s the example set for praying for your enemy!

I pray that they may know the peace of Jesus.

God Bless
Ruth

Anymore i’m convinced action is better than prayer. I think too often people say pray about it, but what they really do is just sit on their butts allowing evil to come to their doorstep. Look at it this way. What if during World War Two, we prayed that Hitler would be stopped and the U.S. stayed out of war. We’d probably be speaking German now if we’d even be alive. I just feel prayer can work, but actions work for sure.

We are called to be faithful rather than successful. Jesus was faithful, but not always successful. (John 6:66)

It took Saint Monica years of prayer for her son Saint Augustine of Hippo to change. But in the end he became a saint like his mother.

Just never give up because oneday just oneday even at the moment of death they could change. Even tghoe we wont see it does mean it never happens

Plus, in acting against Hitler, the Allies would have been fulfilling the wish of all the devout Christians who were praying for some party to stop him.

We pray for those who appear hopeless because we are not God. We do not know what is in someone’s heart or brain or moral upbringing. We extend mercy to the worst person because God made them too. We have no idea what keeps someone in the dark and why some people get out into the light. We have no idea if we will stay in the light. It is all God’s grace.

With God all things are possible. Remember that when we pray for Leftist government officials, we are not praying for their continuance in power, but rather for their conversion.

:thumbsup:

Pro-abortion folks change their minds quite a lot actually.

Dr. Bernard Nathanson, founder of NARAL and an avowed atheist (raised Jewish) died a Catholic pro-life advocate.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Nathanson

Norma McCorvey, who was the infamous “Roe” of Roe v. Wade, and living in a lesbian relationship, was recieved into the Catholic Church by Fr. Frank Pavone, director of Priests for Life. She is active in the pro-life movement.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norma_McCorvey

Sandra Cano, the “Doe” of Doe v. Bolton, the campanion case to Roe v. Wade, is now an active pro-life speaker and has sued to have the cases overturned.

wonderfullymadeministry.com/

endroe.org/doebio.aspx

If the very people responsible for our abortion laws can have a conversion, certainly politicians who are subject to the winds of popular opinion can too. Indeed all things are possible with God.

Who’s to say? Maybe God has tied his conversion to YOUR prayer. In any case, even if Obama or anyone doesn’t convert, your prayers are never wasted. You may never even see the effect of it in your lifetime. He may be reconciled with his very last breath and no one would ever know. Or God may have already reprobated him and your prayers are being applied to another soul.

Only in heaven would we know for sure how our prayers have been answered.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.