Why do we pray to Mary?

It is a shame that I am 57 yrs old and I am still asking these questions; I have a relationship with Mary, I feel like I do. When I was 7, my family was in a tragedy,I prayed for something in my sorrow, (I woke up and heard the whole family crying and I figured out what was wrong by listening to their sobs; a family member was missing and presumed dead; I was alone in the room and there was a picture of Our Lady of Fatima and I knelt before her for a long while crying and praying that he was not really dead and to keep him safe) and it was granted after many years. I believe in her and I feel like all my prayers are about her;

Hail Mary, the rosary,the Angelus, Memorare;

My son turned moslem and I cry to her in my prayer and ask her as a mother too that she would help me cope with this.

My question is, if she is not a god, then how could she hear our prayers? In all honesty, I believe it was God who hears my prayers; but why do we pray to Mary?

Is it a sin to doubt Mary? I mean is it irreverent of me?

These links should give you the answers that you need. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by this, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

[LIST]
]**The Intercession of the Saints (Fathers)**
*]Praying to the Saints
*]Saint Worship?
*]Immaculate Conception and Assumption
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.