Why do we say God the Father is the creator of Heaven and Earth

and how does this jive with Colossians 1:15-17.

I checked the Catechism and could not find it there. I also understand that we believe all 3 personages of God played a role, but why do we feel it was the Father, and Colassians imply the Son?

TIA

Hilary

Hilary, not all Catholics have memorized the Bible ;). I find it helps to provide the quote in question.

15 *** He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 16 ****** For in him were created all things in heaven and on earth, the visible and the invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers; all things were created through him and for him.****** 17 ****** He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.***

This verse also jives with John’s Gospel.

1 *** In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 ****** He was in the beginning with God.3 *** All things came to be through him, and without him nothing came to be. What came to be 4 ****** through him was life, and this life was the light of the human race;

I used this verse because I feel it provides the answer.Let’s look at the original quote in Genesis.

1 *** In the beginning, when God created the heavens and the earth, 2 *** the earth was a formless wasteland, and darkness covered the abyss, while a mighty wind swept over the waters.*** 3 ****** Then God said,*** “Let there be light,” and there was light.

God said “Let there be Light”. God created the world through the Word. And yes, actually all three were there at creation. Who do you think the “mighty wind” was? The Hebrew word for “wind” is “Ruah”, which means “wind, Spirit, breath”.I think the most accurate way of defining it is that ALL THREE PERSONS of the One God created all things. But that tends to confuse people with simple minds like me.

God the Father is Creator is much simpler for us to grasp.

Very nicely explained! :thumbsup:

In school we learned the Apostles’ Creed.

I believe in God the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth.

We also learned the catechism. The first question and answer were:

Q: Who made the world?
A: God made the world.

The emphasis is on all things being made **through **Jesus. It is dangerous to base one’s theology on prepositions.

By convention the Father is often considered the Creator, but God, who is Trinity, is the Creator.

Hilary,

I think you may find Question 45, Article 6 in the Summa Theologica of St. Thomas helpful. Let me quote some particularly relevant portions here:

*I answer that, …*God is the cause of things by His intellect and will, just as the craftsman is cause of the things made by his craft. Now the craftsman works through the word conceived in his intellect, and through the love of his will regarding some object. Hence also God the Father made the creature through His Word, which is His Son, and through His Love, which is the Holy Ghost.

Reply Obj. 2. As the divine nature, although common to the three Persons, still belongs to them in a kind of order, since the Son receives the divine nature from the Father, and the Holy Ghost from both, so also likewise the power of creation, whilst common to the three Persons, belongs to them in a kind of order. For the Son receives it from the Father, and the Holy Ghost from both. Hence to be the Creator is attributed to the Father as to Him Who does not have the power of creation from another. And of the Son it is said (John 1. 3), Through Him all things were made, since He has the same power, but from another; for this preposition “through” usually denotes a mediate cause, or a principle from a principle. But to the Holy Ghost, Who has the same power from both, is attributed that by His rule He governs and quickens what is created by the Father through the Son.

St. Thomas explains that the Persons all possess the power of creation, according to the nature of their procession.

I hope this is helpful,

Peter

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.