Why do we say “rose again”

Hi everyone! I looked up this question in the archives. There’s so much to read, but I saw it hasn’t been asked/answered in a while so I thought I’d bring it up again. I’m also pretty sure the question wasn’t answered as I found it here: https://wels.net/light-for-our-path-rose-again/:

" A SAVIOR WHO DIED AND ROSE

Like many words in our language, the word again can have different meanings. It can mean “once more” or “another time.” We can rule out those definitions for again in the creeds because Scripture speaks of Jesus dying only once and rising to life only once (Romans 6:9).

Again can also mean “in addition.” Our use of the word again in the creeds has that definition in mind. After confessing that Jesus died and was buried, we declare that, in addition, Jesus rose from the dead. In other words, his death was not the end of his life. In addition to laying down his life for our sins, Jesus took up his life again just as he said (John 10:18)."

Let me know what you think.
And I hope I’m in the right category :upside_down_face:

How about: He stood once, died, rose again (from the dead).

A dead person cannot arise ever (as in getting up by him/herself).
So Jesus having died against all known human experience “rose again” from the dead.

Peace!

1 Like

The line of the Credo in Latin is:

et resurrexit tertia die, secundum Scripturas,

which translates as “and rose the third day, according to the Scriptures”.

There’s no “again” in the Latin translation afaik.

I always figured it was the English usage that added the “again”, just as a native English speaker might say,

Jack fell down, and then got up again,

when Jack has only fallen down once. It’s a colloquialism. It indicates that Jack was standing up before he fell down, so when he got up, he was “up again”.

In the same way, Jesus was alive before he died, and then he “rose again from the dead” meaning that he became alive again.

6 Likes

The “re-” in “resurrection” means “again.” Our English word “resurrection” comes from the Latin verb resurgere, which means to rise or be raised (surgere) again (re-). In Latin, resurgere doesn’t refer only to a dead person being brought back to life. It can also refer to many other things, such as the crops growing again in the springtime, or a city being rebuilt after an earthquake.

5 Likes

Ah, thanks, I missed that!

Maybe that’s why English has that “Again”, or similar wording would be “get back up” signifying the person had been standing up before, because we don’t have a similar verb for “re-rise”.

2 Likes

‘Again’ has a number of meanings. In this case it appears to means what the Complete Oxford Dictionary calls ‘Into a former condition, state, or situation; once more’.

Once of the modern examples it gives is of our common usage with computer outages: ‘it went down but we brought it back again’.

Exactly the same as ‘rose again’.

1 Like

“Rose again” is a figure of speech in English. Don’t try to make it walk on all fours.

D

2 Likes

:musical_note::notes:

"I get knocked down

Then I get up again

They’re never gonna keep me down "

Running on loop now in my head after reading your question, haha.

Basically the sense that song means is the one I assume we mean here. When we fall down and get up again, we’re not referring to whatever number of times we previously fell and rose in the past; we just mean we’ve returned “again” to the standing state we were in before.

Jesus was alive. He died. He rose to life “again”.

I always took it to mean he became alive once more, with the “again” part referring to Christ being alive rather than him ceasing to be dead.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.