Why do you believe in Christianity over Islam, Hinduism

Why do you believe in Christianity over these religions?

Yeah, I’d like to know why Christianity is the “TRUE” belief

I’d like to know if the two of you share the same IP.

[font=Verdana]The ethical code taught by Christ and preserved by HIS church is perfect good. All other religions fall short of perfection.

[/font]

[quote=Dph]Why do you believe in Christianity over these religions?
[/quote]

I suspect a major reason is that, within Christianity, they find God’s Love most Visible.

I am not sure why God has chosen me to be Christian but I will be sure to ask him when I get there.

[quote=eptatorata]I’d like to know if the two of you share the same IP.
[/quote]

No. I have no idea who DPH is

[quote=Ahimsa]I suspect a major reason is that, within Christianity, they find God’s Love most Visible.
[/quote]

Have you read other’s views on their gods? They also teach love and being the TRUE religion. If Catholicism is the TRUE™ form of christianity why are there 30,000 other denominations of the christian faith? What makes Catholicism the “right” one? Seriously, Im asking a sincere question.

Partly because if I ask a hundred muslims or hindus about aspects of the religion, I will get a hundred different answers depending on the day and prevailing wisdom, none of them authoritative. If I ask one hundred Christians about Christianity, I will get a hundred different answers, but ONE of them is authoritative–the magisterium of the Catholic Church. That is, its claims have continuity (one reason why we call the waking world and not the dream world real), coherence, unity, and conform to Scriptural, testimonial, historical, reasonable, and common sense evidence.

Scott

P.S. I was raised by an Ann Ryandian atheist and was agnostic/atheist before converting first to Lutheran then Catholic.

[quote=Inkman]I am not sure why God has chosen me to be Christian but I will be sure to ask him when I get there.
[/quote]

Inkman. God has not chosen for you to be christian. Thats a decision you made yourself. And I’m betting you were born into a Christian family.

[quote=Inkman]I am not sure why God has chosen me to be Christian but I will be sure to ask him when I get there.
[/quote]

Inkman, Please don’t take this the wrong way but I believe that if you were born in the middle east you’d probably be muslim and believe that that is the TRUE religion. Im just trying to figure all of this out right now.

I believe in Christ, only begotten Son of God, Second Person of the Blessed Trinity, the Word of God made flesh, who became man, suffered, died and rose again to free us from sin and death, ascended into heaven to prepare a home for us, send the Holy Spirit to protect and guide the Church He founded. the name of the religious system that bases its belief and worship on this truth is Christianity, so I am a Christian. I am a Catholic Christian because the Catholic Church was founded by Christ and is the Mystical Body of Christ, mediating His sacramental presence on earth. No other Christian body can or does make that claim. All other religions are constructs of man, not divine Revelation, with the exception of Judaism, of course which received and preserved the old covenant of God’s revelation.

[quote=Maranatha][font=Verdana]The ethical code taught by Christ and preserved by HIS church is perfect good. All other religions fall short of perfection.

[/font]
[/quote]

I see you quote John Paul II, which confuses me sinc he so respected other religions and defended religious freedom. This attitude that other religions fall short of perfection has been why we had the hollocaust, the crusades, inquisition, all forms of terorism.

As Christians, we should be beyond this kind of thought. Christ was always welcoming those denied of their religious freeedon, their civil right etc. If this “Catholic” label would not allow me to love others as myself and to welcon them lovingly into the life and love proclaimed by Christ I would discard such a lable. It is time that we live up to the Holy Father’s example.

How can we ambrace out brothers and sisters from all over the world? The purpose that I clearly see in the bible is that we all become one with the Father (we as Christians, through Christ).
How can we achieve this? How can we all become one, or realize that we are one because the mind of Christ will be with us for ever. How do we realize this and how do we include our brothers in this divine conciousness?

May we all reside in the Father through Christ, always.

My answer is the Jews. The Jews have been around for millenia, and had been at the time of Christ. There is no logical reason for their survival as a people. Why did they escape Egypt with a unique culture when all others were assimilated? Ditto with Persia/Babylon. How did this tiny, tiny tribe stand up to the Roman Empire and survive as a people and culture, even after the complete destruction of the Temple and their scattering across the world? How have they kept the faith of their fathers unperverted for thousands of years, despite countless efforts to destroy it from within and without? The only logical conclusion I can come to is that they really are chosen by God for a certain purpose.

Now how does this lead me to the Church? Central in the belief of Jews is the Messiah. They wait faithfully in prayer for this coming King and Savior, and they believe that when he does come, the Gentiles will fall to their knees in worship of the God of Abraham. As I studied Judaism, and its expectations of what the world would be like after the Messiah, and the faith that would be brought to the Gentiles, I couldn’t help but be reminded of Jesus and the Church he founded. All of these Jewish expectations are echoed in the Church, and, like the Jews, the Church has stood against all odds, carrying even less innate obvious power than the Hebrew tribes at their outset. These dedicated Jewish followers of Jesus, who believed that He was the Messiah, made good on the Jewish expectation that the Word would be spread to the Gentiles, and despite rabid persecution they survived, and even thrived, in the most unlikely of places. How could such a hated and persecuted group survive in the heart of the Roman Empire, in Rome itself, not to mention countless other similar places. Their survival as a people and a faith is almost ironic, like a joke on all human expectations. The only other group in the world that has such a history is the Jews, the very group that this Church claims to grow from, carrying a New Covenant from the same God, and bringing news that the Messiah has come. No other groups or faiths come close this kind of survival and success story, definately not Hinduism or Islam.

When I look at the Jews, I see a palpable proof that God makes Covenants with humans, and holds to them despite all expectations. When I see Jesus, I see the Messiah that the Jewish people expect and honor preemptively. The fact that the Jews don’t accept Jesus as Messiah does nothing to diminish my faith, because their survival as a people is not predicated on them recognizing the Messiah, but rather on the Covenant struck between God and Abraham, and that Covenant is obviously still living in spite of every effort of humanity to destroy the Jewish people. Jesus, as the Messiah and God Incarnate, struck a new Covenant, this time with all humanity, and again his followers have survived and thrived despite every historical expectation. The Church is quite obviously the historical heir of this New Covenant, as can be attested to outside of Christian Scriptures, so its survival demonstrates to me that Jesus must have been who He said He was, namely the God of Abraham, the very same God who struck the only other Covenant with such lasting and obvious results.

ser: There’s no contradiction between saying that all our brothers and sisters must be respected when they earnestly yearn for God through their own faiths, and saying that their faiths are imperfect in their expressions of God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.