"Why do you believe in God?"

How do you answer a question like that?

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else. C.S. Lewis

How do you know anything is true? In short, because it makes sense. :thumbsup:

Also here are some others if you like -

Getting a Royal Flush in a game of Poker 15 times in a row is more probable than the fine tuning for life on Earth, now if I got 15 Royal Flushes in a row, I believe no rational person would be concluding luck and chance, they’d be looking for how I rigged the deck.

&

However you section physical reality, you take the physical universe how you see it, how ever you slice it down to its most minute form, the fact of the matter is you end up with a physical entity or quantity that does not have the reason for its existence in itself. Ultimately the physical universe reduced in any form, cannot explain its own origin, it has to expand its explanation outside of itself, which means the first explanation of a universe as we see it, has to have something that is non physical as a first cause. Ravi Zacharias

btw, I have a list of quotes on the existance of God that I have gathered over time because I have enjoyed reading them, if you’d like, just lemmie know and I’ll personal message them to you.

Thank you for reading
Josh

First of all, it’s stupid to not believe in God. Even the Bible says that, ‘The fool saith in his heart, there is no God’. Why is it stupid? Because without God life is a meaningless absurd joke.

If they can’t grasp that simple response then I don’t know if a follow up is going to help…

True, Atheism is bankrupt for answers, the Emperor of Atheism has no clothes. I read a great quote from Bishop Fulton J. Sheen in one of his books -

Life is unbearable only to those who are ignorant of why they are alive. - Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Thank you for reading
Josh

Oh so the bible says it’s stupid not to believe in God so then it must be a stupid thing;) now you got me!
Of course the bible wouldn’t say atheism is good or it loses it’s own value; just as the Koran wouldn’t say Jesus is the son of god!

lol, yea true, It’s probably not the best idea to use bible quotes on a non-believer.

Mind if I ask whether you believe in God or not?

Thank you for reading
Josh

If you can read the whole post, which is not very long, I followed it up with my personal reason, not a biblical one.

I believe in God because nothing cannot create something. The world exists so therefore it must have been created by something that has always existed, something eternal. That “something” is God.

I believe in God because all the prophecies in the Bible regarding Jesus’ birth, life, and death came to pass, even though they were ‘predicted’ thousands of years before he came.

Because I have looked at the evidence, and I have come to the conclusion that not believing in God doesn’t make any sense.

I have always known that God is. There has never been a doubt, ever. I cannot understand how a question like this can even be asked. As they say; it blows my mind.

My neighbor who obviously has a problem with my faith has said, " you cannot know, prove it." I finally told him I do not know why he questions God, why he cannot see, I guess my knowing must be a gift from God. That I feel sorry for him and will ask God to open his mind.
He has not brought it up again.

Well there are a number of possibilities.

First, I believe in God because I see no sound reason not to.
This might not sound like the best answer, but since I was born and raised Catholic, belief in God has always been the default position for me.
No one has provided compelling evidence for me to reject God.

Next, belief in God provides the greatest peace and hope.
Belief in God as described by Christian thought and embodied in Christ presents the highest good and greatest chance for happiness in this life as well as in the next.
Some other faiths describe God in similar terms - that is they are founded on Agape - and these I have great respect for.

Additionally - God has been palpably present in my life. He has guided me and even spoke to me once in a very clear, quiet voice. He has shown me numerous times the right way (whether I took it or not).
While some might chalk these up to other sources, I do not.

Simply put…Not believing in God provides no advantages that I can see.

Peace
James

No I don’t as my both username and religious category say so, but if some people find themselves in religion and they are good beings that’s great.

There are many that do not believe in “religion”, but they know that God is.

What do you mean?

I believe in God, because, I can. God bless those that don´t have that ability.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I like this answer and have resorted to something similar when asked this question. I also explain to people that I had a near death experience at the age of 4. Prior to that experience I had no knowledge of God nor any understanding as to how things came into being. My first 4 years of life are like my own “dark ages.” I could see, hear and recognize things but there existence had no reason to me.

I don’t.

I believe in God, because 2.000 years ago He sent his Son for our salvation. He was crucified, died and ressurected. As detailed in the Bible, testemonied by the apostles and their successors and confirmed through some Saints and others from our time.

I believe in God because my conscience (a small voice from within) tells me to.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.