Why do you belong to your church

""I am not Catholic because**
:

1. I also feel that Jesus is real in our midst and active in the lives of individuals.

I agree: “Where 2 or 3 are gathered their AM in their midst” Mt 18:20; BUT my friend, what we Catholics proclaim as GODS Truth is that it is REALLY GOD in person [Jesus] who IS in our Midst; not the ‘Spirit} of God, But GOD in Person. And there is no more compelling reason to be Informed and fully practicing Catholic

1. We practice our Christianity as a brotherhood not a beaurocracy

While the RCC does have a bureaucracy on a worldwide scale, and perhaps on the Diocesan levels; on a parish level it is usually no more than what one would find In an active protestant church community, with different men’s and ladies groups, and parish wide catechesis

1. I also sort of dig in my heels when I think about how the Catholic Church in centuries past tortured and killed many of my ancestors for not registering as Catholics. I know that the interwoven times of church and state complicate the understanding of what really took place. I also read here often what was a new concept for me and that is the statement that the Catholic Church never ever killed anyone for conceived heresy. ?

Can you understand at all why so many have a hard time seeing the CC in a positive light?

The only solution I see is acknowledgement and forgiveness.**

REPLY:
My dear friend in CHRIST, at last I am able to understand your vehemence towards Catholicism. Thank you for sharing.

My friend, the “CHURCH” cannot sin; ONLY the people within Her can [and sadly at times Do] … You claim to be “Christian”; BUT can anyone be a true follower of Christ and not LOVE.

Many years ago when I was still actively teaching one of my young students asked me: MR. M, IF YOU HAD TO DESCRIBE THE ENTIRE BIBLE IS A SINGLE WORD; WHAT WOULD THAT WORD BE: I REPLIED “LOVE.”

Matt.5 43-46: “You have heard that it was said, `You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same”

Matt.22: 37, 39 “And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. And a second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself”

Jn.13: 34-35 “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another"

The Lords’ Prayer: FORGIVE Us [ME] for our [MINE] trespasses as we forgive[ALL] others who have trespassed against us [ME[“… My friend GOD will only forgive us to the exact same degree that we forgive ALL others. Mt 6:12-15

Mt 18: 21 – 22,35 Then Peter came up and said to him, "Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times? Jesus said to him, "I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven” …”So also my heavenly Father will do to every one of you, if you do not forgive your brother from your heart."

My FRIEND< If, If you actually DID believe GOD [His way]. You’d be a Catholic.

If the RCC is not the One True GOD, Faith and Church; then pray tell us which ONE is and on what basis?

GBY, Patrick

As far as I’m aware, we still worship the same God who exists as three persons, one of whom being Jesus Christ. We still read the same Scripture, aside from some deuterocanonical books. Even those don’t make a monumental impact on anyone’s doctrine. I think our only significant doctrinal difference is over the forgiveness of sins; I believe there is only one mediator between God and man, and that is the Christ, Jesus. We pray the same Nicene Creed and Our Father. I’m not aware of any Catholic doctrine on morality that, in my limited view, goes beyond what the Bible itself teaches. I fast during Lent and participate in holy communion.

The one true God is the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. He is the God of the Bible and the God of Israel. I believe in the God of Christianity and of Catholicism.

Thanks,
Zenon

That dear friend is a very kind thought.

BUT the issues of Justification [yes I am aware of the joint declaration

The Primacy

The SEVEN Sacraments

Mortal and Venial sin

All come to my feeble mind

God Bless you
Patrick

My Dear FRIEND in Christ,

The realities of Life is that their are no [zip-Zero] coincidences or "luck [either good of bad]. Everything no matter how seemingly insignificant or Life changing, ALL are the result of Divine Providence.

When we make a good choice: GOD ID GLORIFIED and WE are sanctified

When we make the wrong choice God is STILL Glorified for having given us the opportunity to freely choose good over evil. BUT .we loose the graced opportunity to be sanctified

So dear friend, you were being guided by the Holy Spirit all along.

THANKS for sharing such a beautiful story account.

Blessings,
Patrick.

My friend, please READ Hebrews 6:4-8

Then read carefully and prayerfully: at one reading:

Mt 10:1-3

Mt 16:15-19

John 17:17-20 [No other church or faith can make the claim that THEY have God [Jesus[ as their Personal warrant of only being able to teach correctly onn Faith and or Morals]

Mt 28:18-20

Eph 2:20-22

Eph 4: 1-6

Heb 6: 4-8 WHICH aDDRESS DIRECTLY your CHOICE.

READ ALL OF THE ABOVE PAYING CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE SINGULAR TENSE WORDS USED BY THE HS GUIDED CATHOLIC AUTHORS, AND TAKE EACH PASSAGE LITERALLY

thIS SITE WILL MAKE YOUR TASK EASIER

https://quod.lib.umich.edu/r/rsv/

KNOW ALSO DEAR FRIEND THAT God in Person CANNOT be found at ANY of the thousands of Protestant churches.

God will demand a very high price for your abandonment for ANY reason.

YOU ARE WELL ADVISED TO PRAYERFULLY RETHINK YOUR POSITION

God Bless you,
Patrick

Most Protestant churches practice something roughly equivalent to each of the seven sacraments, save reconciliation. I know for certain my church does, as do those I’ve attended since leaving the RCC. As far as mortal and venial sins are concerned, I think it would be fair to say that most Protestants consider all sins mortal. Is being too careful a bad thing? You are correct in that I do not recognize any papal primacy, but that doctrine seems to be more of a meta-doctrine; it exists to ensure that the pope can create and maintain sound doctrine.

Thanks,
Zenon

Thank you, my brother. I will read these prayerfully and with an open heart.

God bless,
Zenon

Your the one that HAS TO answer to GOD,

Good luck with that

I really like St. Augustine’s answer to that question:

…quote…

[T]here are many other things which most justly keep me in [the] bosom [of the Catholic Church]. The consent of peoples and nations keeps me in the Church; so does her authority, inaugurated by miracles, nourished by hope, enlarged by love, established by age. The succession of priests keeps me, beginning from the very seat of the Apostle Peter, to whom the Lord, after His resurrection, gave it in charge to feed His sheep, down to the present episcopate. And so, lastly, does the name itself of Catholic, which, not without reason, amid so many heresies, the Church has thus retained; so that, though all heretics wish to be called Catholics, yet when a stranger asks where the Catholic Church meets, no heretic will venture to point to his own chapel or house. Such then in number and importance are the precious ties belonging to the Christian name which keep a believer in the Catholic Church, … no one shall move me from the faith which binds my mind with ties so many and so strong to the Christian religion… For my part, I should not believe the gospel except as moved by the authority of the Catholic Church.

…end quote…

Source: Against the Fundamental Epistle of Manichaeus, ch. 4-5

[quote=“PJM, post:41, topic:455632, full:true”]

""I am not Catholic because**
:

1. I also feel that Jesus is real in our midst and active in the lives of individuals.

I agree: “Where 2 or 3 are gathered their AM in their midst” Mt 18:20; BUT my friend, what we Catholics proclaim as GODS Truth is that it is REALLY GOD in person [Jesus] who IS in our Midst; not the ‘Spirit} of God, But GOD in Person. And there is no more compelling reason to be Informed and fully practicing Catholic

1. We practice our Christianity as a brotherhood not a beaurocracy

While the RCC does have a bureaucracy on a worldwide scale, and perhaps on the Diocesan levels; on a parish level it is usually no more than what one would find In an active protestant church community, with different men’s and ladies groups, and parish wide catechesis

1. I also sort of dig in my heels when I think about how the Catholic Church in centuries past tortured and killed many of my ancestors for not registering as Catholics. I know that the interwoven times of church and state complicate the understanding of what really took place. I also read here often what was a new concept for me and that is the statement that the Catholic Church n ever ever killed anyone for conceived heresy. ?

Can you understand at all why so many have a hard time seeing the CC in a positive light?

The only solution I see is acknowledgement and forgiveness.**

REPLY:
My dear friend in CHRIST, at last I am able to understand your vehemence towards Catholicism. Thank you for sharing.

My friend, the “CHURCH” cannot sin; ONLY the people within Her can [and sadly at times Do] … You claim to be “Christian”; BUT can anyone be a true follower of Christ and not LOVE.

Many years ago when I was still actively teaching one of my young students asked me: MR. M, IF YOU HAD TO DESCRIBE THE ENTIRE BIBLE IS A SINGLE WORD; WHAT WOULD THAT WORD BE: I REPLIED “LOVE.”

Honestly Patrick, you say I have vehemence toward the Catholic Church. I guess I need to reflect on that beause I would also say you do the same toward non-Catholics. Can you identify with that at all?

I am not sure if you are indicating that you feel I am not a Christian because you feel I do not have love or if I was misreading that. I agree that love is the all important thing. I pray to have more love.

I was disappointed you chopped up my post in your answer under #3. I would look forward to you answering my questions.

Thank you Patrick, I appreciate your kind words.

That’s not a very charitable thing to say to a fellow Christian. We all have to answer to God but thankfully we have Jesus who stands in for us - who died a sacrificial death once for all for ALL of us. He’s the propitiation for all of our sins. Your response to him with, “Good luck with that” says to me that Zenon has not the love of God or that he is treading on thin ice with his faith in God.

Thank you, my brother. I will read these prayerfully and with an open heart.
God bless,
Zenon

This post sounds like Zenon is a sincere Christian ready to listen and pray about what you are saying.

Blessings

Rita

My FRIEND, God’s Truth [which is what I shared] is not always what we want tp heard; rather it is what we NEED to hear. Amen

Continued Blessings,
Patrick

Still threatening I see. That is not of God, not of Jesus.

No formal church now in these last years on earth. As a dedicated Solitary with abbatial guidance and supervision. I am at peace. Jesus is my life.

Where two or three are gathered in my Name, There am I in the midst of them. Matthew 18:20

My DEAR Friend, it not me but GOD’S TRUTH that your’e taking issue with.

Where WE choose to spend our eternity is OUR freewill choice.

And from God who HAS to be perfectly fair and just; it in a promise, not a threat.

Prayvery mucj

GBY,

Patrick

YEP. IN SPIRIT BUT NOT IN PERSON AS HE IS IN THE RCC, AMEN!:smiley:

WHAT! Sharing GOD"S Truth is somehow uncharitable:open_mouth:

You truly are my FRIEND, and I am TRULY concerned about your life choices NOT being in accord with what God truly wants from you. and this is Biblical not simply MY opinion.

In choosing to leave the RCC for ANY reason, YOU choose to abandon GOD in the person Of Jesus Christ, who IS Truly, really and Substnaually present in our Tabernacles and in Catholic Holy communion.

Catholic Mass is NOT about us “liking it” BUT ALL about Godly Worship, in a manner that NO protestant church can do, why the emphasis is on making YOU feel good. BUT they cannot put you into the Divine Presence as we do.

Pray about it. And please take my advise as being from someone concerned about your eternity.

God Bless and Guide you,
Patrick

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.