Why do you love Jesus Christ?

This question applies to all Christians, regardless if you are Catholic, Protestant, Orthodox, Anglican, etc. It’s a very basic question that we as Christians should be able to look deep down into our souls and provide an answer.

If anyone has no love for the Lord, let him be accursed. Our Lord, come! - 1 Cor 16:22

Life.

Jesus is my/our perfect comforting parent. in His great wisdom he saw to give us Mary.

i yearn to know. we are all drawn to what is smart and fair and as i questioned and questioned Him, the manner in which He kept opening doors for me was truly mind blowing… AND He has a sense of humor! without Christ our hearts can never be fully at peace.

best of all He loves and guides me even when i’m a stubborn brat.

Hi!

This question reminds me of Shakespeare: ‘How do I love thee, let me count the ways…’

If I had to put into a simple sentence, then I would probably have to say, because He loves me. (And the endless everything that has come and continues to come from that love for us!)

blessings

How much do we love Jesus Christ as Christians? Why would He give us Mary when we already have Jesus Christ? Do Catholic Chrisitans have a tendency to love Mary more than Jesus Christ? Please help me understand your views as a fellow Christian.

he died…for me

I love Jesus Christ because He died for me! What did His death accomplish for you?

Jesus is God’s incarnate the second person of the Trinity. I love God because He loves me first. He creates me and when I fall, brings salvation to me. My love for Him is out of gratefulness but I know I can never love Him enough like how He loves me. He loves me that He gives his life so that I may live. In order that I love him like He loves me or that I return His love, I need Him to help me. How ironic, even to love him I need His help for me to do that.

I strive to love Jesus in every possible way. My focus is truly on him. I will love what he loves and teaches and wants me to. I will love everything about Him, His teachings, His commandments, His church, His people and servants and when He was alive, His immediate family.

My love for Him demands that I cannot separate what He Himself loves. My love for him will encompass all that He loves and all that He stands for.

Again, why I love Him? Because He loves me first even before I was born. I love him in return out of a heart of thankfulness. And for me to love Him correctly, I need His grace to help me to do that.

God bless you.

Certainly not, no more than other sorts of Christians have a tendency to love their biological mothers more than Christ. In fact, that’s a good analogy. Catholics are thankful to Christ for Mary in a way that all Christians (Catholics included) might be thankful to Him for a good, loving, and kind biological mother, without that being seen as a sign that they love their mothers more than Christ.

Why would He give us Mary when we already have Jesus Christ?

One can see it as yet another sign of His great love for us that He wanted to share the woman that nurtured and reared Him with all of His followers, not because He is not enough, but because as His mother there can be no doubt that He loved Her in the way that it is proper for a son to love a mother…and since He loves us, He also shares with us the things He loves, including His mother. Love shares.

Coming up with a “why” is difficult, since it entails a conditional love based on reasons the absence of which would lead to us not loving Him. I should think that loving Jesus (of all persons) should be entirely unconditional, at least ideally. Thus the question is not as basic as it seems at first glance.

Should we only love Jesus because He died for us? Then had His disciples no reason to love Him before He died, before they understood what He would do?

Should we only love Jesus because that is the way to salvation? Is this love or self-interest?

Should we only love Jesus because of His miracles? It would be easy to stop loving Him, then, in our modern world in which it is too often easy to mistake miracles for coincidences easily explained by science.

Should we love Jesus because of what He does for us? Such an attitude led to His crucifixion when He didn’t seem (in the eyes of Jewish thought at the time) to be delivering what a Messiah was “supposed” to. Thus such a motive makes for very fickle “love” indeed.

An unconditional love for Jesus, after all, cannot be primarily based on what He has or hasn’t done, or what He will or will not do, and such a love must be independent of whether or not He ever worked the first miracle or saved the first soul–imagine, if you will, a world where we had not fallen or, even more foreign to what we can conceive, a world where we had existed from eternity and were thus uncreated. Should we love Jesus, Son of God and God the Son, any less if such a world were our reality? If so, does that not imply that His worthiness of being loved is subjective, only relative to what we need from Him and what He is thus able to fulfill?

No, I suspect that there is some deep, consistent reason for loving Jesus. Perhaps it is this: He is the very embodiment of Love and all that is Lovable, quite independent of His actions or our need for Him. If He is what I have just said, which I suspect no Christian will dispute, then loving Him is the most natural, obvious, and right response imaginable, no matter what He has or hasn’t done. Due to the circumstances of our fallen world, we are sometimes blinded to His full nature, which is probably why we do not always love Him as perfectly as we should (else why would we ever sin against Him?), but that nature, the very reality of Who He is, is the only reason needed to love Him. It is completely independent of anything He does…it is about Who He is.

Praise be to God, even thinking about that gives me an amazing feeling inside, as though I have a small taste of Heaven, however incredibly small compared to the real deal, just by dwelling on how lovable He is! At moments like this, I wonder: How could I not love Him?! Every time I commit a mortal sin, I perplex myself with precisely that same mystery…how indeed.

Blessings in Christ,
KindredSoul

What’s not to love about Christ!? He is the perfection of God and Man combined in absolute and total love. He not only died for our sins but was willing to suffer humiliation, rejection, a life of poverty, as well as testify to the truth no matter what the cost. Jesus is a moral crusader, a forgiving saviour, a guide, a friend, a brother, and the only gateway to the Father. He is the summit of hope and life itself. He is kind, caring, and truly understands the life we suffer through. He is the point of life, why we’re here…

Why love Jesus?
Words can’t seem to explain
But for me, as I read the gospels…
all I can see that His teachings really cut deep into people’s heart
they really judge u of who u truly are, but at the same time giving u solace
For all other teachings and other laws make people try to find holes to escape
But not the teaching of Christ
It will forever hold the truth
In any given time
In any given place

**There doesn’t have to be a reason.

Also, let us not accuse or curse those who do not “love” Him. It may be that the seed of love that Christ planted in them when He gave His life for us has not yet borne fruit. And who are we to say what love is exactly – to judge another?

Love can be a secret. Love begets love. When we love Christ we are emulating Him and His love for us. When we love others as He has loved us we also are loving Him.**

Matthew 25:
31: When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
32: And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
33: And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
34: Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37: Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38: When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39: Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40: And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
41: Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
42: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
43: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
44: Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
45: Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
46: And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Christ will know who loves Him and reward them at the chosen time. Until then, let us not try to usurp His judgment; but rather, let us follow His commands and leadership:

Matthew 5:
43: Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
44: But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
45: That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
46: For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?
47: And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?
48: Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Luke 6:
27: But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,
28: Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.
29: And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also.
30: Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again.
31: And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.
32: For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them.
33: And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same.
34: And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again.
35: But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.
36: Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.

Wow, praise the Lord, for such love for God. One day I hope perhaps to achieve this but for now my motivation for loving Him is out of my gratitude for saving me after He created me. I cannot take that back for the deeds had been done and so I am stuck to love Him. Sometimes that love of mine for my Lord can be fickle and controlled by my emotion and what happen to me in my daily life which sometimes involve other loves that compete with this love.

I truly for now need the Lord to strengthen my love for Him even if it is out of my gratitude for him for loving me. I need His help in my love for Him so that I can love like His, for His love is perfect and my love imperfect.

God bless. :slight_smile:

i think kindredsoul answered well regarding Mary. it’s not like loving your children, spouse or parents deeply is detracting from the love of God. ask Mary to pray for you.

asking why we love Christ is like asking why we love love. i just read this on shoewindow3000’s signature and i dig it.

If one of My creatures had been enough to atone for the sins of men, I would have hesitated. Why? Because I would have betrayed My love by making a beloved creature suffer, rather than suffering Myself, in My Son.

• Father Speaks to His Children

"Oh how I love Jesus, Because he first loved me"
In fact enough to endure the cross and die for me and take on my shame and pain. He loved me so much that he gave his life so that I might have eternal life. He is my closest friend, true and unconditional.
As far as Mary, I love her and honor her the same as Christ did. Woman, behold your son, Son behold your mother.

Because He loves me and will lead me to eternal life.

“We love him because he first loved us and gave himself for us.”

Hi Reuben!

Unfortunately, the fullest love for the Lord that I described is only mine to cherish sometimes, and at its absolute fullest it is rare to come by…as I said, if I had that all the time, I don’t believe I would ever even sin, certainly not mortally, and yet I probably commit mortal sin more often than any Catholic I know. Add to this the times that I have deliberately entertained even the most blasphemous of doubts, just because I wanted to live life my way or not feel any guilt over certain vices I have, and you will see that, though I have a grasp of what it means to love the Lord unconditionally and most purely, I am far from embracing that love perfectly. However, at my very best moments, few and far between though they are, God does bless me with glimpses of what it truly means to love Him, and when He does, the unconditional motive in my previous post is my “reason”. And indeed, I praise Him for it, because I suspect that a fallen human only attains that sort of love as a gift from God, however briefly it lasts in its best state.

I should say this as well: Sometimes it is our gratitude and the things He has done for us that, while not being reliable motives for unconditional love, do lead us to discover His identity which is that motive; His every action on our behalf may lead us to find that He is the embodiment of Love, worth loving even if there were no actions for which to be grateful. So it is fully appropriate to say that His actions and our gratitude can lead us, indirectly, to love Him unconditionally, insofar as they lead us to realize Who and What He is, and thus love Him.

I am merely a sinner hoping to someday always have perfect and unconditional love for our glorious, beautiful, and lovable Lord. So we stand together in needing to grow in love for Him. May we pray together to attain that. :slight_smile:

Blessings in Christ,
KindredSoul

The love of God demonstrated in Christ unites Christians, regardless of our Christian communities and denominations. We rejoice together as Christians in the love of God found in Christ. :slight_smile:

For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die— but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God. For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life. More than that, we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation. - Rom 5

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.