WHY do you suppose that Catholics find it necessary

Dear friend in Christ,

WHY do you suppose that Catholics find it necessary to Confess their sin to a Catholic Priest?

Let’s discuss it.

God Bless you,

Patrick

The argument generally seems to derive from interpretations of John 20:22-23

And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost: Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

This verse is to say the least open to different interpretations.

Jesus had authority to forgive sins. “The Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins” (Matthew 9:6)

In John 20:21-23, it says, “Receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.” This authority was given to the apostles, and from there it was given to certain others in charge and passed down to the priests. Not just anyone can forgive sins, and priests carry on this tradition passed on by Christ, himself.

Funny I just found this today…

americaneedsfatima.org/Our-Lord-Jesus-Christ/confession-the-sacrament-of-divine-mercy.html#6

I agree with all the biblical evidence of why we must confess our sins to Jesus through a priest. For me I find it helpful to speak my sins, to say out loud what I have done that is sinful and to beg for forgiveness.

As a convert, Reconciliation did not come easy to me. For years I had been taught my sins were between God & I, and telling them to another was not necessary. But I also realized, in my continuing journey that speaking of my sins helps me to know what they are as well as helps me to avoid the temptation to do it again.

By speaking our sins we are given tremendous graces to shape up our lives. I had a really big sin that I had never confessed. I just kept throwing it in there with the line “for this and all my other sins”. It was a very old sin, something that had happened long before I converted, but a sin that had to be confessed. I knew it was wrong but I didn’t have the courage to actually say it. It was a huge weight on me, getting bigger & bigger. One day I decided this is it, I will confess this sin (as I had told myself many times). I went early to spend some time in prayer. I started a praying a rosary and about midway through it I heard a message to go now. The priest had just come in and no one was in line yet. I went in, sat face to face, (which I rarely do) and just told him. After hearing the words of absolution I knew I was forgiven. I knew that Mary told me to just go in and confess it and she was there to give me the strength to say the words. It was very freeing and healing. It was also very strengthening.

I try to go to reconciliation every 4-6 weeks. I get to tell Jesus my sins and I get to hear the words of absolution. It is a wonderful sacrament, one that should be used often.

Catholics find it necessary to confess their sins to a Catholic priest because they want to be reconciled to God and His Church after committing personal sins and because confession is the normative means by which God made such reconciliation possible. :thumbsup:

I am guessing you have never done it. Perhaps you are not Catholic? It can be a wonderful experience and certainly a grace filled moment. It is also therapeutic to verbalized your issues to another person. How much mor so when the person is the vicar of Christ. The Holy Spirit is present. It is a great sacrament and great gift.

Because Christ made it a sacrament and commanded it, as faithfully taught and handed down by His Holy Church.

It is however only necessary to confess sins when in the state of grave (mortal) sin. Canon 989

For the purpose of counseling. The priest can talk about sin [with the confessing person] and help them avoid sin in the future. I wish I had had a counselor or a mentor when I converted to Islam. I had to learn everything from scratch. That’s not to say that I agree with the Sacrament of Reconciliation, but I can understand why it appeals to many people.

OK?

HOW and WHY? Precisely please:)

GBY

Excellent and THANKS:thumbsup:

It was the Holy Spirit that led you to the article:)

GBY

THANKS Randy, you NAILED IT!

Continued Blessings

Patrick

amen!

Gby

THANKS and GBY

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.