Why do you think God allowed Protestantism?

Name one or two reasons you think God allowed Protestantism.

I think one reason might be that Catholicism is so… difficult, that maybe God wanted there to be an “easier, softer” way that would lead people to Christ (and He knew that many would then be led to the RC Church)?? Just a thought.

Also, i think that Protestants generally focus on different things than Catholics do, different “aspects” of God, things that are nonetheless very important… like, well… i just think that sometimes they are more… friendly… & i feel they may trust in God’s mercy more than a lot of Catholics…

For the same reason that He allowed Gnosticism, Nestorianism, Arianism, and every other heresy - so that the Church would be moved to define its teachings even more clearly, and bring us even closer to a full understanding of Christ. :slight_smile:

After all, if there had never been any heresies, there never would have been any Councils, and there are so many things that would be more difficult for us to understand, and to find out, because the definitions for them would not exist.

But iron sharpens iron, and fierce opposition forces us to clarify our teachings, and beak them down into small concepts, simple enough for everyone to understand them. :thumbsup:

I have also noticed that competition improves the final product. A Catholic Church that is situated within walking distance of one or more Protestant churches tends to be a lot more orthodox in its teaching than one that has no such competition.

We all have free will. We are free to chose where we worship and what we worship and how we worship, and to change what we worship. When we have the truth revealed to us, we have to consent to adhere to that truth.

There is a difference between allowing and not stopping.

Catholicism is not difficult in my view. It’s rich and full and complex and thorough and grounded in Scripture and Sacred Tradition, but not difficult.

:eek: Every single non catholic christian I know in real life has made it their mission to tell me exactly what they think of me and the Catholic Church. Friendly is NOT a word that readily springs to mind.

At the core of every catholics life is an unquestionable trust in the Mercy and Goodness of God.

I am so, so sorry that that has been your experience. I would say uncatagorically that treating you and Catholics in general in this way is at best uncharitable. At worst it is, well, I won’t say.

Jon

I believe protestantism is a creature of its time. I believe that Europe had the misconseption that being born in a European Country or Christian territory made you a christian whether or not you lived like it. The Papacy was a real political entity. Bishops took advantage of the situation (not all but enough) and God wanted to lead the people back to his heart thus the council of Trent really made Catholics focus on what is important. Also people have just accepted tradition with out its other aspect of the magisterium scriptures themselves. Without protestants Catholic laity may never have been that interested in scriptures. Without the reformation there would never have been a Vatican I or II.

God created us to have free will.

Jean

I think God allowed the reformation precisely for why it occurred. Abuses of some practices got out of hand (selling of indulgences in particular, secular interference in Church matters, the Inquisition, and the greed and economics behind the crusades), and a split was a wake up call for the Church to get its act together.

Personnally I believe the Protestant “Revolt” and the Great Schism occurred for the same reasons why Isreal was divided and the diaspora also occurred in the Old Testament. During both times there was great corruption within the Body of Christ because of its close ties with secular authority. Power corrupts and that is exactly what happened to the Church as a whole during both periods.

But God has a wonderful way of bringing good from bad and I believe that it has happened and will continue to happen. The great news is that according to the prophets the Church or New Isreal will be one again sometime in the future and I believe you can see some of that with the instances of reunification of Christians throughout the world. As Jesus prayed: “Let them be one as You and I are One.”

That is the great calling of all of us. We must strive to be unified as a church again and one in our teaching. Again as Jesus prayed: {John 17:21} So may they all be one. Just as you, Father, are in me, and I am in you, so also may they be one in us: so that the world may believe that you have sent me.

So I say that it is imparitive for us to follow the wish of Jesus and follow his New Commandment: Love one another as I have Loved you.

distracted,

The sacraments are the easiest and softest way possible to Christ that there is. I would suggest that to eliminate them makes the true way to Christ not only difficult, but near impossible.

Why else would Jesus institute them?

The sacraments ARE mercy to the fullest. Name one aspect of God that is NOT contained in His sacraments, that Catholics need to know about?

I would suggest to you that One who is Catholic, trusts the MOST in God’s mercy and sacraments properly received, are the closest way to being friends with God & neighbor.

Before you can ask that question, you have to consider this: Why did God allow His only Son to be crucified? The cross holds so many answers. Free Will and Love are just a few.

To meditate on this answers so much!

Interesting points of view,
question: Why do you think God allowed Protestantism?
No one knows why God allowed Protestantism except God himself.
For me and my family, the Church that is founded by Jesus Christ Himself is the Church we worship. Where He is always ever present and is His Bridemaids. So whatever the reason is, there’s no way me and my family following any religion founded by a man.

As to

[LIST]
*]Point 2 - agree, I think :slight_smile:
*]Point 1 - interesting; not entirely convinced. FWIW, the same idea is held by some Protestants about Catholicism :o[/LIST]BTW - by Protestantism, I’m taking for granted (wrongly ?) that USA Protestantism alone is not intended; the form of the question suggests interest in how Protestantism took shape as an independent movement.

To bring good from it, somehow. To allow men to see just how wrong theology can be once it departs from His authority.

[quote=distracted]I think one reason might be that Catholicism is so… difficult, that maybe God wanted there to be an “easier, softer” way that would lead people to Christ (and He knew that many would then be led to the RC Church)??
[/quote]

Perhaps so.

[quote=distracted]Also, i think that Protestants generally focus on different things than Catholics do, different “aspects” of God, things that are nonetheless very important… like, well… i just think that sometimes they are more… friendly… & i feel they may trust in God’s mercy more than a lot of Catholics…
[/quote]

I see it differently than you do. I think I should just leave it at that.

Peace,
-Robert

good answer…

I never thought about the 1st one… :slight_smile:

i never meant that all of Catholicism is difficult but it is difficult being with the Souls in Purg at the Real Presence… because it is hard being in Purgatory… being purified… The more one has been in the wolrd and polluted by it, the more difficult…
and there are some other things but for the most part, i don’t find Ctholicism difficult either… it is way easier than not knowing the (absolute) Truth… :eek:

i coiuld do without Vat II:( :mad:

it wasn’t half as bad as many protestants would have one believe…

and maybe some very few were selling Indulgences but i don’t think that was a commong thing…

I know… that neither one of us was there… but it couldn’t have been worse than what is going on in the Church today…

Put another way
[LIST=1]
*]Catholic laity AND clergy fought to preserve the sciptures all along the corridors of history. The laity as you know, WAS/IS the army in any given time that defends the Church and all her property including the scriptures from those who would destroy or take both for their own uses…
*]Trent and Vat I were to answer the errors and attacks on the Church and her teaching
*]Vat II as the pope intended, was to bring fresh air into the Church. :)[/LIST]

OK, sorry i didn’t say waht was so difficult about Catholicism (for me):

well, being celibate for 100 years hasn’t been easy… :smiley:

loving those who don’t love me is not easy (but all Crhstians supposedly believe in that)…

being purged at the Blessed Sacrament is not always easy…

driving 50 miles to get to Mass because there isn’t any other Mass going on is not easy (don’t have to do tht very often)…

Confessing certain sins is definitely NOT easy… (which is why i sometimes drive 50 miles…) :smiley:

being persecuted because no one understands your faith is not easy (esp when you live in a mostly Protestant world)… :frowning:

depriving myself of certain things i want but that God may not want (and Church wouldn’t approve of, necessarily) is not easy…

I think that should suffice for now… (?)

i feel that Protestants actually focus TOO much on God’s mercy… so much so that they don’t feel thye need Purgation… they don’t think (sometimes) that they have to do much of anything to get straight into Heaven when they die… and that is NOT good…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.