Why do you think people refuse to believe in the living God?

Many I know say loads of reasons for not believing in the after life.

Then some believe in the after life but not religion ?

I never take offense all I say to them is be respectful. Nothing worse than those who become very disrespectful of those with Faith.

1 Like

No convincing evidence. Some people are convinced. Others aren’t.

Some people have faith, others don’t.

1 Like

If you are from England you must be well used to people not respecting your faith

1 Like

Why is that ?

Just one thought is that we live in a hedonistic society where constant pleasure rules the day. Take away people’s pleasures of free sex at will, constant good times, and lots of money spent, they don’t need God. It’s too hard to worship him. They don’t want to give up constant pleasure. Or if they do worship him,it’s under their own belief system where pleasure is still maximized.

10 Likes

Well I live there and most people are either dismissive of my faith or out right rude. Most of them think it’s a joke and that we all need to grow up etc

1 Like

Honestly and truthfully I think many KNOW that belief in God will make them change the way they are living and they don’t want to change the way they are living.

10 Likes

People hid from God in the garden of Eden and they are still doing so. It touches a raw nerve in people and rather than change their lives they lash out at others. Gets boring when they refer to their tired sayings such as ‘sky daddy’ ‘flying spaghetti monster’.

8 Likes

Don’t know, I’m not them. I know some of their arguments, (like the problem of evil, which I find non-convincing, strange how they never bring up the problem of good, you wouldn’t know what evil is, if you didn’t know good). But, why do some religious groups not believe Jesus is God? Why do some religious groups believe he is only a prophet of God? Why do some believe he’s one of many gods? I believe in God, even though I find it hard sometimes, I don’t doubt he exists. Watch some of Bishop Barron’s videos on the topic of atheism. Read the comments. It seems to be that the God they don’t believe in, I don’t believe in either. (There seems to be quite a bit of ignorance regarding the Abrahamic God)

4 Likes

I didn’t know that God frowned upon pleasure. Are you thinking of the Puritans?

2 Likes

He doesn’t but I think little flower is referring more to hedonism and people doing whatever they want that ‘feels good’ no matter what

5 Likes

If one is an atheist then it is only possible to disbelieve in someone else’s version of God. There is no ‘atheist version’.

2 Likes

I don’t know anyone like that. Sounds a bit risky to me.

2 Likes

You know dozens and dozens. We all do. We all just have different ways that we look at it. For example - typical 20 yo British man. Drinks to excess most weekends , possibly drugs now and then. Lots of one night stands . ‘Just being a lad’ according to the society we live in . Loving his life. Doesn’t realise he’s harming his soul.

4 Likes

So meanwhile he’s wasting his money, damaging his body, using girls /boys for sex, whatever he’s into. Most people in his own peer group would encourage him and if he because a Christian at best would tease him.

2 Likes

You understand Halo. Of course legitimate pleasure is a good thing and is needed, otherwise we would snap.

1 Like

They do not believe in a “soul”.

1 Like

No, seriously. I really don’t know anyone at all like that. I used to. When I was about 20. Back in the day when it was drinking to excess most weekends etc etc. Seems to be a phase some people go through. Loving life with no worries about tomorrow. As you said. Just being a lad.

You haven’t discovered anything new.

2 Likes

Not sure as to the need for scare quotes. But yes, you’re right there. Not many do these days. I put it down to the sixties when a lot of us realised that we could question the status quo. And intentionally or not passed that on to subsequent generations.

Blame the boomers, Thinker. All our fault.

This Barna study is important

https://www.barna.com/research/atheism-doubles-among-generation-z/

For me it is important to re-learn the way we answer the hard questions.

The “why does God allow suffering” needs a better answer than “oh, free will!”

That people see Christians as hypocrites means, to me, that I need to do a better job of living my faith 24/7. I need to grow in kindness and compassion and mercy.

Saw Dr Scott Hahn speak more than a decade ago, he told the audience that we needed to learn how to speak to the new atheists, and he was so very true.

Trent Horn is a great example, he communicates truths well.

I also often refer to the StrangeNotions.com website because it has been a classroom for this old lady to look at the questions through new lenses.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.