Why do you think

that so many people spend so much time bashing the Catholic Church and trying to disprove it? This has been bugging me for a long time. I was brought up anti-Catholic to the point where I used to get upset with people for being Catholic and didn’t even know why. I just knew it was bad. It seems most non-Catholics have this reaction. I guess I could kind of see the mainline churches having anti-Catholic attitudes but mostly it’s the “out” there churches that hate Catholics the most ie. Fundamentalists, Mormons, JW’s etc. There are message boards all over the internet that just bash and bash and bash Catholicism. Why do they care if someone is Catholic or not? It really is bizarre when you think about it.

By going by my own experience I’m wondering if people hate it because deep down they are really, really afraid it might be true and that scares them to death.

By going by my own experience I’m wondering if people hate it because deep down they are really, really afraid it might be true and that scares them to death.

Yes, I have come to this conclusion, too. But, it’s not the whole reason, of course. And their fears are given power by the enemy of Christianity itself, who likes nothing better than to see Christians bashing other Christians and living in hate and fear. Sad, isn’t it?

Also, don’t forget about the effects of culture. America celebrates diversity to the point of mocking conformity. If you ask me, the point of diversity is to become exposed to different ideas and ways of life, but to then proceed to accept the ones that seem the best. Most people can’t understand the concept of objective reality because we get this relativism ideal thrown at us all day. People fear the RC Church because they want the freedom to do what they believe to be right (i.e. what is most convenient for them). It makes me laugh when I hear a Protestant comment on how the Pope tells Catholics what they have to believe. Doesn’t the Bible do the same for them!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.