Why does Anglican-rite liturgy attract so many Catholics?

***Why are there many Catholics who prefer to attend an Anglican-rite Mass? Is there any special reason?..Just curious :slight_smile: What are the differences between an ‘ordinary’ Catholic Mass and Anglican rite Mass? ***

perhaps because its closer to the TLM but in english

in a short while, all Catholics would be free to attend Anglican Use Masses at Traditional Anglican Churches (TAC). the TAC in the US, Canada and Australia have applied for full communion with the Bishop of Rome, and when that is approved they will be as Catholic as the Pope

I wish I knew. After all, this is the Mass of King Henry VIII, isn’t it?

I don’t think your question is accurate. I think there are a comparatively minuscule number of Catholics who prefer the Anglican-use liturgy.

Agreed! I have not heard of that many people drawn to the Anglican-Use Rite. The Extraordinary Form however is another story.

Amost. Remember that the Anglican ministers must first be validly ordained as priests–and this won’t happen until after the Ordinariate(s) is formally established. They will be Catholic, but there will be some delay between becoming Catholic and being ordained–especially given that the married Anglican ministers will have to apply to Rome before being ordained priests. No doubt this will happen quickly, but it won’t be immediate.

No, not Henry. Henry did very little in changing the Mass itself. That came later under Edward and Elizabeth. The current Anglican services are even newer (but I don’t know the dates offhand).

I haven’t attended a traditional Anglican (Church of England - High Church) Mass for thirty something years but I remember it to be a very beautiful service with a lot of symbolism and even veneration of the Book. And lets face it, the Anglicans do have it over us as far as the hymns are concerned.

Is the current one the one which Pope Leo XIII invalidated retroactively? Seems as if there was a Cranmer Mass in there somewhere too.

For the last 20 or so years, I have held a professional position in the choir of an Episcopal church. Week after week, I’ve heard the elegant language of the Book of Common Prayer and admired it. The minute a TAC parish in my city becomes an Anglican Use parish, I’ll be there for Mass. I cannot wait for this beautiful liturgy to find completion in the Catholic Church. Cannot wait!! :smiley:

Betsy

Two different but related issues. Pope Leo declared Anglican orders from the time of Edward onward to be “absolutely null and utterly void” which also means that there is no Eucharist, but he did not directly address the issue of the texts or rite used when Anglicans remember the Lord’s Supper–at least not in any length. He did somewhat, but that wasn’t the specific subject of his decree. Since no priest necessarily means no Mass, there has never been a need to address the issue of whether or not Anglican ritual could be valid. At the present time, though, the Anglican text needs only minor modifications to be a valid Mass–so the ritual itself can be valid.

interesting situation. i wonder if you’ll be allowed to formally join the Anglican parish being a former Episcopalian, or would the fact that you have been a Catholic for quite some time disqualify you from moving to their parish?

I question whether there are all that many Catholics drawn to the Extraordinary Form, let lone the Anglican liturgy.

I think a significant number of Catholics who frequent the Liturgy and Sacraments forum are. But I don’t think those of us who frequent this forum (regardless of our preferred form of the Mass) are very representative of Catholics who regularly attend Mass.

good point

fact is a lot of Catholics out there aren’t even aware that there is an EF

off the top of my head, so maybe off a year or so.

Book Common Prayer

1549- Edward
1552-Cranmer
1559 England
1662 England (official)
1789 (?) US
1928 Mainly US
1962 Canada and India (?)
1979 The TEC version, also used by some in ACNA and AMiA
2000 Common Worship…seen used by evangelical Enlgish and AMiA parishes
2003 Reformed Episcopal Church

I do believe there are others used in other countries. These are the one main ones used in English Speaking countries, except India.

Add in Missals and Sarum. King Henry keep the Catholic Mass until he died. Refused to allow the CoE to change it. Edward was a small boy, the regent and advisors changed the book.

The AU Parishes use a different form as approved by Rome. Anglicans coming into communion with the Church will be switching to it. though I know AU parishes and some incoming Anglicans want it updated.

Fr. Mark

Not quite. In addition to what Fr. David said, the decision will be made on a diocese-by-diocese and parish-by-parish basis. They will literally have to fight it out among themselves. Some will come over and others will not. When enough of a majority in a given body votes affirmatively, it will happen, but certainly the votes will not turn out that way in every case.
acahomeorg0.web701.discountasp.net/documents/2010-03-16_HOB-FAQ_acac_1.pdf

anglicanusenews.blogspot.com/

I’ve never been Episcopalian - just worked for them, and still do. From my reading of the rules, I don’t think I’ll be able to join a parish, but I will be able to attend Mass at one whenever I wish.

Betsy

Considering there are under 10 parishes in the States that even offer it, I would agree. The AU Mass is very beautiful, though…mostly, in my opinion, because of the truly superior music.

actually the TAC in the US, Canada and Australia have applied for full communion. it is the Bishops of the said territories that have applied for full communion so they’re taking all their parishes with them. TAC is not part of the mainstream Anglican Communion, so none of those mainstream Anglican parishes are switching over. and i highly doubt it because most of those in the Anglican Communion have become liberal (women and gay priests, etc) that it would take a lot of them to accept all Catholic teachings. the TAC Bishops however has stated they accept everything in the CCC and are ready for full communion

the only issue will be the reordination of the priests, and the bishops who are married will no longer qualify to be bishops and would have to become priests, but given authority over the Anglican parishes and diocese as if they were Bishops in some matters (administrative but perhaps not doctrinal)

oh, my apologies, i understood your statement differently

i was chatting with another person here at CAF who was a former Anglican and i posed the same question to him. yes, the rule is that Anglicans cannot accept new members from the Latin Rite. i’m just curious if a Latin Rite Catholic who was formerly an Anglican, if he can switch back when TAC achieves full communion. maybe i missed it in the document

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.