Why does Christ speak in parables?

Whenever I read the Bible I notice that Christ always talks in parables. Was this a cultural thing back then? I'd find it a lot easier to both pay attention and get the message if His words were more straightforward. It's the Douay-Rheims by the way.

[quote="aball1035, post:1, topic:319654"]
Whenever I read the Bible I notice that Christ always talks in parables. Was this a cultural thing back then? I'd find it a lot easier to both pay attention and get the message if His words were more straightforward. It's the Douay-Rheims by the way.

[/quote]

Your answer can be found right in scripture:
[BIBLEDRB]Matthew 13:10-15[/BIBLEDRB]

So, basically, it is because it makes things easier for people to understand, such as how explaining things allegorically helps people to understand certain concepts today.

[quote="aball1035, post:1, topic:319654"]

[/quote]

Parables today would be translated into stories. The reason Jesus had chosen stories is this is how the people could relate to His messages. A good story can always do this. Mark Twain once said to someone that we are not made of atoms but we are made of stories. This is how the human condition learns best. When there is something that can relate to your own experience it can be easily received and understood. God used parables simply for us today to do the same. Whenever Pastors and teachers use stories to point to a truth in the Gospel we can always relate to it better.

Man learns life better reading and seeing stories. God may have given the angels incredible truths right off the bat but to man it will be different. Man would need stories as a means to understand truth. And the best time is when you are young and a child to learn through this type of catechism.

People back then couldn't read, or write. Stories are easy to remember. They could go home, and remember several stories. They could think about them, and learn from them over time, with the help of the Holy Spirt. They could discuss them, and share insights. Some times the simple people understood them, and the scholars didn't. The Holy Spirit is the great equalizer. :)

=aball1035;10518313]Whenever I read the Bible I notice that Christ always talks in parables. Was this a cultural thing back then? I’d find it a lot easier to both pay attention and get the message if His words were more straightforward. It’s the Douay-Rheims by the way.

Mt. 13:10-15
" And his disciples came and said to him: Why speakest thou to them in parables?

Who answered and said to them: Because to you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven: but to them it is not given. For he that hath, to him shall be given, and he shall abound: but he that hath not, from him shall be taken away that also which he hath**. Therefore do I speak to them in parables: because seeing they see not, and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand. And the prophecy of Isaias is fulfilled in them, who saith: By hearing you shall hear, and shall not understand: and seeing you shall see, and shall not perceive. [15] For the heart of this people is grown gross, and with their ears they have been dull of hearing, and their eyes they have shut: lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.

This has the same meaning and revelance then and now.

Then to the Pharisees and scribes who in effect denined Christ as God

Now in and through every competing religion with in a literal sense is an attack on God’s soveriginity.

God imposes; as is His Right, a lack of Faith and with it the singular truths Christ taught.

True Faith is necessary to gain its fruits: Wisdom, Knowlwdge, Understanding and FEAR OF THE LORD.

Because God is “One” so to MUST God’s “Faith be One”

Eph. 4: 1-7
"Careful to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. One body and one Spirit; as you are called in one hope of your calling. One Lord, one faith, one baptism. One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in us all.But to every one of us is given grace, according to the measure of the giving of Christ

Psalms 127:1
"Unless the Lord builds the house, those who build it labor in vain. Unless the Lord watches over the city, the watchman stays awake in vain."

Romans 13: 1-4 “Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore he who resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment."

God Bless,
pat/PJM

My opinion is that the parables and other Bible narratives are more compact in their layers and shades of content than the same info would be if it were delivered straightforwardly.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.