Why does doctrine matter?

I have had discussions with some people who claim that doctrine is really not that important.

What is the best response to this statement ?

Doctrine matters because truth matters. Jesus said “I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life.” I don’t think we should settle for less than the Truth.

[quote=PaulKorb]I have had discussions with some people who claim that doctrine is really not that important.

[/quote]

Ask them if it is important to believe that Jesus was the Son of God. That’s doctrine.

Ask them if it is important to believe that the Bible is the word God. That’s doctrine.

Ask them if it is important to believe in the trinity. That’s doctrine.

Ask them if it is important to believe that God exists. That’s doctrine.

Then ask them who decides what doctrine is crucial to the faith, and what doctrine can be ignored.

That should start you in the right direction.

Peace,
javelin

If you’re dating a woman, does it matter what you know about her?

Could you *really *love her if what you knew about her wasn’t true?

My :twocents: is that doctrine is the set of facts about God and the supernatural. Perhaps you’d agree that if we don’t agree on the facts about someone, we both can’t agree on what kind of person he is, or what he wants, or what makes him happy, or much of anything really.

So it boils down to different religions (of any kind) disagreeing about what the facts are about the nature (if you will) of the ***super***natural. In other words, the doctrine.

It makes doctrine really central, since all religions ask you to pattern your life in alignment with what it professes about the supernatural (that is, their doctrine). So with incorrect or incomplete doctrine you are either metaphorically walking in the wrong direction entirely or perhaps are close but not quite right on.

Within Christianity, we agree on SO much that the doctrines on which we disagree seem large relative to eachother. Only God knows how “close but no cigar” you can come and still be saved.

1 Timothy, chapter 1

3: As I urged you when I was going to Macedonia, remain at Ephesus that you may charge certain persons not to teach any different doctrine,

8: Now we know that the law is good, if any one uses it lawfully,

9: understanding this, that the law is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,

10: immoral persons, sodomites, kidnapers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine,

11: in accordance with the glorious gospel of the blessed God with which I have been entrusted.

1 Timothy, chapter 4

1: Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by giving heed to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons

6: If you put these instructions before the brethren, you will be a good minister of Christ Jesus, nourished on the words of the faith and of the good doctrine which you have followed.

2 John, chapter 1

9: Any one who goes ahead and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God; he who abides in the doctrine has both the Father and the Son.

10: If any one comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into the house or give him any greeting

Titus, chapter 1

9: he must hold firm to the sure word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound doctrine and also to confute those who contradict it.

10: For there are many insubordinate men, empty talkers and deceivers, especially the circumcision party;

11: they must be silenced, since they are upsetting whole families by teaching for base gain what they have no right to teach.

Titus, chapter 2

1: But as for you, teach what befits sound doctrine.

9: Bid slaves to be submissive to their masters and to give satisfaction in every respect; they are not to be refractory,

10: nor to pilfer, but to show entire and true fidelity, so that in everything they may adorn the doctrine of God our Savior.

Ephesians, chapter 4

14: so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the cunning of men, by their craftiness in deceitful wiles.

Hebrews, chapter 6

1: Therefore let us leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God,

Romans, chapter 16

17: I appeal to you, brethren, to take note of those who create dissensions and difficulties, in opposition to the doctrine which you have been taught; avoid them.

A little Divine intervention…I was going to put in bold every place “doctrine” was, but decided that would take too long, and it would be clear enough as it was…after posting it they were all bolded anyways. Spooky.

[quote=PaulKorb]I have had discussions with some people who claim that doctrine is really not that important.

[/quote]

Ask the person to give you some examples of unimportant doctrines. Most likely they will cite various traditions that have nothing to do with doctrine at all.

For example: We should go to Mass every Sunday. That’s not a doctrine - it’s a precept (rule of conduct). Celebate priests is not a doctrine. Praying the Rosary is not a doctrine.

closed #9

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.