Why does God allow overwhelming temptations?

I’m expecting answers involving how it’s a test of faith, but I’m just wondering. Many battle with homosexuality, for example, which can be completely controlling and stray us from God. People struggle excessively with their sins, are unable to think properly, submit to the sin and lose faith. Why does God allow this?

I think many temptations come from the culture we have created with our own free will. God will not interfere with the gift he has given man.

In our culture, homosexuality, promiscuous fornication, divorce, irresponsible use of drugs/alcohol and pro-death activities are all readily available and promoted in film, television, and advertizing. So the temptation is set before us at every turn due to man’s willing it. Not God’s.

Of course, that does not help when you are faced with a temptation. In that case, we must turn to God to build up our will for the good and choose God’s image of man, rather than the beast within us. Or using Fr Robert Spitzer’s language: Set our happiness goals on Levels 3 & 4, rather than Levels 1 & 2: spitzercenter.org/html/archive/our-approach/the-four-levels-defined.php

Some of these things present in our culture can destroy our faith pretty much permanently, and at this point many don’t bother trying to get back into the faith. Plus, TV/films/etc didn’t exist years and years ago. Homosexuality among other things were likely rare occurrences, at least uncloseted.

I haven’t looked too much into homosexuality yet so I don’t know if it falls under free will, but does God really refrain from removing tendencies such as homosexuality to protect our free will?

If anything, you have to admit it forces you to make tough choices .

It is one or the other, you can’t do both.

One cannot serve both God and mammon.

Yes, these temptations can definitely cause us to think, and ultimately improve…but what about those who fall to these temptations? Those who become distorted by them, lose faith, and lose any interest of regaining faith?

The catechism says God calls all men to himself. At some point, something will lead to a moment of conversion or a decision against.

He wants you to love Him so desperately that you will have nothing and no one upon whom to rely - except Him, Who created you out of unfathomable and infinite love. You have received your being, your very existence from Him as a gratuitous gift of love. Rather than being preoccupied with carnal thoughts, He desires strongly that you seek intimate union with Him in the spiritual realm. There is no greater satisfaction. While yet on earth, beg the Holy Spirit to help you discern God’s will, His presence and love in all things and at all times. Be absolutely occupied with Love Itself. Fidelity will be its own reward.

Please stop blaming God for what men do … If I buy a large tin of chocolates, that is my choice, my decision, my responsibilty , as is how I consume them …

Thank You , Lord, for chocolates… :wink:

When we pray ‘lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil’, if we really mean it, God grants it.
Believe me. We can trust in every one of God’s promises.

He desires we act upon our faith.

Christ merited an infinite treasure of graces from His suffering and death on the Cross.
Our Lady is the Mediatrix of those graces.

We must ask for them.

They don’t come automatic.
After asking for grace over and over and over, we cannot understand why we get no grace.

It’s because we fail to realize we must cooperate with that grace.

It’s always been available since our first petition.
Grace will not ‘kick in’, so to speak, until we begin to do our part.
That is the key.

Food for thought: people are not born struggling with sin. For example, an unmarried couple will not be very strongly tempted to sin if they never get too intimate in other ways (like French kissing).

People struggle with sin, because they allow sin to take a hold of them. Not necessarily on purpose (for example, teenage boys might not fully understand the potential issues), but at the end of the day, each decision to sin makes the next one harder to resist.

In the modern world - People don’t avoid places of temptation - they revel in those places - they choose to be there. Darkness (evil) draws people just as the light (God) draws people. People choose it.

There is no temptation beyond the strength of the tempted to resist. Otherwise it would not be sin, but compulsion.

I am seeing a pattern in your threads. PM me if you like.

This ^ is right. If someone is consistently struggling with overwhelming temptations, they are doing something wrong. Unfortunately, in the U.S. our culture is so warped that most people don’t know what they are doing. Lord have mercy.

Today’s Saint was greatly tempted by the sin of the flesh. You have everything to gain by appealing to him for his intercession.

franciscanmedia.org/saint-columban/?utm_campaign=Saint+of+the+Day&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=38237976&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8cQ4zAsK8a6nVQEWDYnLuP4eJqb1LNXeXCjXKWqVD9lENs26BSktzwcEYEUOn5D5DECtu1EEcSGMLAvLWBVe0yzB4zlg&_hsmi=38237976

Let’s not forget that there are sins that also bring others down with us, and that this pattern of sinning can affect people over long times. What I mean is that our power to sin is so great that we can commit sins that effect not only us, but others and people in the future.

So you could be completely innocent and yet be overcome by sin that was caused from someone else or someone in the past. The effects of sin can be inherited.

Original sin did not just affect Adam and Eve and caused there to be sin in all of nature itself.

Our notion that sin is like a foul during a game, that someone keeps score and that the penalty is fair and only effects us is wrong. Our power to sin is our power to destroy nature itself in the process.

Innocent people die from the sins of others all the time. It is out of respect for this power o sin that we don’t play games with it.

Our Fallen Nature inclines us to sin. And, thanks to 40 years of propaganda by the media, the Body of Christ in the West was gradually poisoned. First, a little bad, then a little more, then a little more… as the decades passed. The Devil knows you. For some, it’s drugs or alcohol or sex or some other immoral desire.

ncregister.com/daily-news/how-to-fight-the-devil

Galatians 5:17

Parallel Verses
New International Version
For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want.

New Living Translation
The sinful nature wants to do evil, which is just the opposite of what the Spirit wants. And the Spirit gives us desires that are the opposite of what the sinful nature desires. These two forces are constantly fighting each other, so you are not free to carry out your good intentions.

English Standard Version
For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do.

Ed

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.