Why does God exist?

I’ve been wondering recently:

Why does God exist? What is God’s purpose?

I’m almost certain I will not receive a direct precise answer, but I’m interesting in hearing your opinions anyway.

God bless you,

Emanuel

It seems to me that your questions might be shaped by your expectation of
God to conform to our human parameters of conditions. Do you think that such questions actually apply to the Allness of the Deity, are you trying to make God in your own image and likeness, or what else? I don’t know, but there might be more useful questions one might ask before asking about God.

One line of inquiry might be to know your own mind and how it works relative to its perceptions, beliefs, limited education and senses, and ask if you see how “your” mind works, or the mind works as a dynamic, Then when you understand more of such things you might not fall into traps that are the result of limits you have acquired simply by growing up the way you did, as we all do.

Generally speaking it is good to know that the brain acts like a computer and calculates only on the basis of what you put into it whether actively by study and practice, or just by being around such influences as parents, peers, TV, and your culture in general. Remember, those things are very arbitrary, and yet your mind will do everything in its power to convince you that what you have in your head is “reality” and anything that contradicts that is wrong, wrong, wrong. Well, the brain is built that way, regardless of what might be Universally true, so that any level of human can survive in the conditions it is born in. Beyond that, as we grow up, it is our jo0b, if we see it and accept it, to grow in knowledge and away from the lower levels of ego, if we even happen to be lucky enough to see that we are so trapped. But simple curiosity with a bit of courage can spring the trap. Good luck!

I dunno - :shrug:

Peace
James

I think you have that question turned around. It should more likely be, why do humans exist? God IS. We exist because of God. Seems simple to me.

Welcome to CAF. BTW, I have been to Zaragoza, Spain, and absolutely loved it. It’s where I got my first taste of cerveza con limon!

But, back to a reply: Only God knows His purpose. But, we can surmise from what he does that it has to do with production and life. Production meaning, creation, causing, changing, moving, stasis, parenting, eternality, to name a few. And, life meaning, the sustaining, continuance, endurance, etc., of His produce. Lest I forget, I must include His Son and the Holy Spirit.

God bless,
jd

Well, I am not joking. I am answering exctly as I think.
God exists becauses He exists.
As God said in the Old Testament: “I am Who I am”.

Yes you do! :wink:

God bless,
jd

:thumbsup:

I think you’re asking the wrong question… Why do WE exist?

Thank you for your advice.

Well, I’m also wondering about the purpose God had in mind in creating the world and us, but that’s for another thread and another time.

I’m glad you liked it!

I don’t think this answer the basic question of why He exists.

That, well, doesn’t really make sense. His existence can’t be the reason of His existence.

That, well, doesn’t really make sense. His existence can’t be the reason of His existence.

I think, in this case, you’re limiting God to the confines of your thinking. In our tangible world, which we can perceive, this is a very hard concept to grasp, but when God was questioned with similar questioning his response was “I am”. Good enough for me.

Now, for a more ‘logical’ answer that will hopefully help satisfy you, lets assume He exists because He is the only logical conclusion. The early ontological argument for proving His existence covers this topic by trying to prove God by deductive reasoning. I could copy/paste some reasoning on this for you, but I suggest you go read the argument made by saint Anselm. If you want more reading on those logical ‘proofs’ then you can read the argument which Anselm seems to supplement which is by saint Augustine.

-Psalmodius

The point I was trying to make is that you may be asking an usanswerable question! How could a mere mortal answer that? :thumbsup:

God bless,
jd

Yes, I am taking that into consideration. It’s quite possible that it’s a mystery that can only be revealed by God. But since this doesn’t serve much of a practical purpose, I doubt He’ll do it anytime soon.

But when God said that it was a question of identity and He said that He is the one that exists. I’m asking about the reason of his existence. But I guess this may very well be one of those great mysteries about God.

Now, for a more ‘logical’ answer that will hopefully help satisfy you, lets assume He exists because He is the only logical conclusion. The early ontological argument for proving His existence covers this topic by trying to prove God by deductive reasoning. I could copy/paste some reasoning on this for you, but I suggest you go read the argument made by saint Anselm. If you want more reading on those logical ‘proofs’ then you can read the argument which Anselm seems to supplement which is by saint Augustine.

-Psalmodius

Thanks. I’ll try to read them.

God exists because Love is eternal and needs no reason to exist. It is the greatest creative power and the greatest source of joy and fulfilment. If we give and receive love we have everything…

God is the act of reality itself. Reality cannot cease to be Reality. That would be a contradiction since it is the nature of reality to be real. God is the basis of all rational distinctions and is thus the antithesis of nothing. The natural end of Gods nature is to express the fullness of reality and share the goodness of it.

An excellent statement, and almost transcending religiosity! Good going!

As Acquinas explains it…

God is the Necessary Being. It is necessary that he exists. He cannot not exist.

Why this is so is a mystery we will never understand. Only God himself can fully understand it.

We exist because of something else. God is his own existence. His essence, that which makes him what he is, is identical with existence. God is existence.

To exist is an act. God is pure act and pure existence. His existence is due only to himself. We exist, but this is not our own act of being. It is God who maintains our existence because his omnipotence gives him dominion over the act of existence.

Again, we cannot fully understand it,
but if it were not true neither God nor anything else would exist.

So with this in mind, the question ‘Why does God exist?’ is like asking ‘Why does adding 2 to 2 make 4?’ or ‘Why can’t a triangle have four sides?’ These are just logically predetermined facts- the converse is unintelligible.

So with this in mind, the question ‘Why does God exist?’ is like asking ‘Why does adding 2 to 2 make 4?’ or ‘Why can’t a triangle have four sides?’ These are just logically predetermined facts- the converse is unintelligible.

More precisely…

… if nothing existed necessarily than nothing would exist, since everything would need a cause to exist but you can’t track backwards to infinity…

Since only God has the omniscience to fully understand this, we can’t, but I don’t deny the reallity of quantum mechanics just because I don’t understand it.

( Although people like Perplexity will argue every point with tons of verbal gobblelygook, diversions, ill-defined terms, and mathematical formulae that don’t describe anything real )

Or, um,* more*, more precisely (no one-upmanship intended here, empther)…

Even if it were logically possible to keep going back to infinity (that is, an actualized infinite series were possible, which is doubtful), we’d still have an infinite chain of cabooses (contingent beings) in need of an engine (a non-contingent being). That non-contingent being would necessarily have all positive attributes (goodness, knowledge, etc.) in their highest degree, since it would be all act and no potentia. And this being would be…guess Who?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.