Why does God favour the weak and rejected?

Do the self sufficient need God less? I always think wonder if I had less insecurities, weaknesses and issues would I turn to God as often as I do now? Jesus came for sinners. Most of the time sinners repent once they hit rock bottom. I think of all sins and how some people can easily manage never falling into the consequences. Some people have very mentally strong but they are not kind. They forgive because why burden yourself with resentment.

It is easy to need God when you are weak.

I think you have it. The Lord does not love the poor more. But the poor, those who have found in the world neither pleasure nor peace, turn to Him in their need.

Today’s 1st reading:
Thirtieth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Sir 35:12-14, 16-18
The LORD is a God of justice,
who knows no favorites.
Though not unduly partial toward the weak,
yet he hears the cry of the oppressed.
The Lord is not deaf to the wail of the orphan,
nor to the widow when she pours out her complaint.
The one who serves God willingly is heard;
his petition reaches the heavens.
The prayer of the lowly pierces the clouds;
it does not rest till it reaches its goal,
nor will it withdraw till the Most High responds,
judges justly and affirms the right,
and the Lord will not delay.

Not!

God doesn’t favour anyone more than anyone else, he is perfect love and he loves us all equally. However, sometimes it’s easy to forget about God when things are going your way, when we don’t think we need him. We forget that everything we have is from God and that when we don’t need anything we still need to give him thanks for our blessings.

Jesus came for sinners. Most of the time sinners repent once they hit rock bottom.

If I understand you correctly, I don’t agree with your generalization that sinners only repent when they reach rock bottom. The most saintly people recognize just how sinful they are and confess often. The brighter the light shines, the easier it is to see the stains. Jesus came for sinners, yes. But that’s all of us :).

I agree, it’s easier to ask for help when you know you need it than when you think you don’t. And aren’t you blessed that you know just how much you need God? I know I am.

In some ways, sure. They have all the food and clothing they could ever want, so they ae not looking to God for their daily bread.

But the real issue is that they don’t think they need God for more important things either - like forgiveness and salvation.

Need is the wrong word. Everyone needs God just as much. God is what we were made for, not to be his servants, but to be his friends and share in his infinite goodness. There is, in a sense, a hole in us that we desire to fill and which no finite good can ever fill. We do try to fill it, though, with wealth, power, friends, sex, food, material goods and other pleasures, moving from one to the next. The more of such things you have, the harder it is to let go. They are addicting and they, in some sense, take up space within that hole even if they don’t fill it and make you whole. To give them up is to accept that absence and to reach out to God to fill it, and that requires a good deal of trust. God doesn’t forbid these things, but he does ask us to be able to put Him first and to break our attachment to them, our idolization of them. The less you have, the easier it is to put God first, the easier it is to follow Christ. The more you have, the harder it is to let go and put it in God’s hands. Thus, “it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”

This isn’t to say that a person with wealth can’t be devout and can’t put God first, but it sure can be harder.

The self-sufficient don’t need God less they just don’t see him or hear him because they are not seeking him because they think they can do it on their own. Look at many of the celebrities. They have everything the world has to offer, fame, fortune, but are lacking God and looking in all the wrong places. This is why they often have multiple marriages and end up having to go to rehab or declaring bankruptcy. They are always searching subconsciously for God but** looking in all the wrong places. ** Just as most of us do who are not celebrities but we are not on the extreme scale that they are on. God favors the weak because everything in his creation hinges on the small and weak. Christ was in his weakest moments when he died on the Cross. He could have easily been powerful and performed great miracles for the world to show his power and made people worship him. But with humility and obedience to his father he was exalted. Just like in the Gospel today:

Gospel Lk 18:9-14

Jesus addressed this parable
to those who were convinced of their own righteousness
and despised everyone else.
“Two people went up to the temple area to pray;
one was a Pharisee and the other was a tax collector.
The Pharisee took up his position and spoke this prayer to himself,
‘O God, I thank you that I am not like the rest of humanity –
greedy, dishonest, adulterous – or even like this tax collector.
I fast twice a week, and I pay tithes on my whole income.’
But the tax collector stood off at a distance
and would not even raise his eyes to heaven
but beat his breast and prayed,
‘O God, be merciful to me a sinner.’
I tell you, the latter went home justified, not the former;
for whoever exalts himself will be humbled,
and the one who humbles himself will be exalted.”

Interesting topic, Ive wondered about this before as well, it seems all the ‘religious outreach’ is devoted to the poor, or people at rock bottom, like homeless, drug addicts, prison inmates, etc. There are even certain groups that specialize in prison outreach, drug addiction outreach, etc.

Why are there not outreach groups that actively go and try to help/ evangelize, more stable, even highly successful groups of people?

I can honestly say Im guilty of this too, I cannot remember a time when I have evangelized someone, or tried to get them to come to my church.

How can you tell when got is ‘favoring’ you, or anyone else? He looks after all, and provides what spiritual help you need when you need it…and we all need it at some point!

While God IS the Divine Physician, it’s not like Tylenol you keep on the shelf for only when you have a headache.

True wisdom comes from knowing we should have a healthy relationship with God, not like a sugar daddy, whom we only talk to and woo when we need something.
That’s not a relationship at all. Those that are truly needy, both materially and spiritually, know how to keep that relationship healthy. People who think they can do it alone, don’t bother tending the relationship.

. . . :bible1: . . .

“For there is
no respect of persons
with God”.
- Romans 2:11

+**God **does not favour the weak and rejected . . . he loves :heart: all mankind equally . . . and he died for all . . . and those who search for Him . . . with their . . . whole heart . . . and believe on and receive Him as their **Wonderful LORD **and Beloved Savioiur will surely be found by Him and blessed with salvation of their souls . . .

[INDENT][INDENT]:bible1: Proverbs 24:23 These things also to the wise: It is not good to have respect to persons in judgment.

:bible1: **Peter 1:17 ** And if you invoke as Father Him Who, without respect of persons, judgeth according to every one’ s work: converse in fear during the time of your sojourning here.

:bible1: **Ephesians 6:9 ** And you, masters, do the same things to them, forbearing threatenings, knowing that the LORD both of them and you is in heaven; and there is no respect of persons with him.

:bible1: **Deuteronomy 1:17 ** There shall be no difference of persons, you shall hear the little as well as the great: neither shall you respect any man’ s person, because it is the judgment of God. And if any thing seem hard to you, refer it to me, and I will hear it.

:bible1: 2 Paralipomenon (2 Chronicles) 19:7 Let the fear of the LORD be with you, and do all things with diligence: for there is no iniquity with the LORD our God, nor respect of persons, nor desire of gifts.

:bible1: Romans 2:11 For there is no respect of persons with God.[/INDENT][/INDENT]

As in the beloved hymn below, which has been so often sung down through the ages:

"My hope is built on nothing less than
Jesus
Blood and righteousness."

[RIGHT]. . . all for Jesus+
. . . thank You Sweet Spirit of our Holy God+
. . . thank you Holy Mother Church+
. . . thank you Blessed St. Jerome+[/RIGHT]

Exception: me.

I’ve tried many things to get closer to God, didn’t work. Rejected every time.

Todays Gospel tells us Jesus chose ordinary people who through him were able to do extraordinary things.

When Jesus embarked on his mission he chose twelve men to be his friends and apostles. In the choice of the twelve, we see a characteristic feature of God’s work: Jesus chose very ordinary people. They were non-professionals, who had no wealth or position. They were chosen from the common people who did ordinary things, had no special education, and no social advantages. Jesus wanted ordinary people who could take an assignment and do it extraordinarily well. He chose these men, not for what they were, but for what they would be capable of becoming under his direction and power. When the Lord calls us to serve, we must not shrug back because we think that we have little or nothing to offer. The Lord takes what ordinary people, like us, can offer and uses it for greatness in his kingdom.

God doesn’t always give what you want, but he does give you what you need!

I.am such a brat. I always want to get what I want. Humility is a virtue. The Lord is good.

Bob, I don’t know you or your struggles but I do know one thing for sure–God does not reject us. So I will be presumptuous and suggest that you should take another look at how you try to get closer to God. Maybe a spiritual director would help.

I’d love to find one, but haven’t found one in 4 years of looking and counting.

The weak and rejected need God most of all.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.