Why does God keep Himself so secret, forcing people to have blind faith?

I hope I can make this question clear and that someone has some sort of answer…
I don’t understand why God doesn’t just let everyone know loudly and clearly of His presence. That way, everyone would beleive in Him and more people (if not everyone) would worship Him. What makes someone who beleives without seeing better than someone that doesn’t in His eyes? And why use parables in the Bible rather than direct, easy to understand, language. It doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.

God did come in the Son. He got nailed to a tree! People would probably rebel if he came again with the world as it is.

I used to have the same question as you. Why doesn’t He just make himself known? I mean, REALLY! Give a little here, will ya???

And I don’t know why believing on blind faith is better than having had proof. I guess it is because Jesus said so to Thomas when Thomas asked for proof of who Jesus is after the resurrection.

I always used to demand of God that He present himself to me. And since all I could see were the horrors and hate in the world I got to the point that there is NO WAY God could exist. And if He did, big “IF,” He certainly didn’t care and pretty much left us to fend for ourselves.

To be honest, I had to do some personal work (I won’t go into it) that had me look at prayer in a whole new light. It forced me to rely on Him and trust Him. (And the person mentoring me wasn’t even Catholic!)

I won’t go into details but one day, God did grant me my wish. He showed Himself to me. And it was … is … beyond mere words can express. I am crying and moved just thinking about it. I think He rewarded me. He didn’t answer my immature demands to prove himself, but rewarded me for coming back to Him.

A spiritual awakening if you will.

5 years later, I am coming back to the Catholic church too. I will be confirmed May 31st. :slight_smile:

I don’t know what to say. I know He does present Himself. I personally believe that He always presents himself to people. Sometimes people wish to stay asleep. Sometimes people refuse to wake up. Sometimes, people don’t know what to look for, or have expectations of what they want to see and so are searching for something that may never appear.

I know that I had given up any demands and expectations of God when He showed Himself to me and let myself go.

I don’t know how else to explain it.

he gave us the created world which reflects his glory
he gave us generations of prophets and patriarchs to whom he revealed his plan for humanity over time through the history of the Jewish people
he sent his only Son whose public life, death and resurrection is well attested
and he sent generations of witnesses who have died for the faith, and proclaimed the good news from the rooftops for 2000 years
Is there something else that would convince you?

God doesn’t force people to do anything. Faith is a gift that can be accepted or rejected.

One, he did—many times, and especially in The Word made Flesh.

Two, then what would be the point of faith?

Blame it on Adam & Eve. Before we were stained with Orginal Sin, God walked and talked with Man. We lost that privilege after the fall.

i don’t know the answer, and often think this question myself.

but i am also reminded of the book of Exodus, where God showed great wonders in the seven plagues, parting of the waters of the red sea, feeding the people with manna from heaven, leading the people by a pillar of smoke during the day and a pillar of fire by night, etc. etc. AND STILL the people made a golden calf to worship instead of God. i guess a visible God didn’t help the Jews have faith back then, maybe a visible God wouldn’t help us have faith now ? :shrug:

I think it’s because with faith, our choice to believe in God is more out of free will. He wants free sons and daughters… not a colony of ants or robots :wink: hehe. Faith, especially blind faith, transforms us. It teaches us to love.

God bless

:thumbsup:

It’d be too easy. God wants us to have complete faith in Him, but he can’t just give it to us. Before the world ends though, He will let everyone know He exists, yet many won’t care, etc. Just put all your trust in God, and offer yor life for Him.

very true! :slight_smile:

G’day treeleaf
I am with puzzleannie in this, God shows himself everyday in the beauty that surrounds us and in the people we meet. Too often we miss God because we want to justify the way we live. God does not force us, he gave us free will and this is one gift that he does not interfere with. We choose to not see God if we don’t see him. Some of the poorest and most persecuted people on earth see God in the beauty of their surrounds and the love of those who are living in the same circumstances. God sent his prophets and we did not listen, he sent his Son and we killed him, God has tried his hardest to show us his love for us and how he would like to be part of our lives. Hope this will help you may God bless cheers geoff

Thanks, a lot of that was helpful, but I would like to reply to:
“Is there something else that would convince you?”. Actually, I am already convinced, but obviously loads of people aren’t and yes, they probably could be convinced with more proof, after all God can do anything, so He could make Himself known to all easily enough. I know that apparently it’s an evil generation that looks for signs and that Thomas wasn’t in favour for having to see for himself and not beleiving what someone told him, I just don’t understand why.
When God lead the people through the desert wasn’t it only Moses who spoke with Him directly? Everyone else could have put all the plagues and miracles down to freaks of nature just as some documentaries are trying to prove today.
Also, to respond to “God doesn’t force us to do anything”, yes, I know, I meant we either have to have faith or not know Him at all.
Finally, to respond to “What would be the point of faith?” - well, that’s kind of my point. If everyone had enough proof for themselves (not just those who choose to beleive now) there wouldn’t be a need for faith in God’s existence, just faith in how great and loving and kind He is.

The Lord seems to always give folks a choice no matter how much He has revealed Himself to someone. He doesn’t interfere with freewill. Tim

Yet the angels live continuously in the full presence of God, with no faith required. If this is good enough for the angels, why then is it not good enough for far **inferior **beings called homo sapiens?

I keep reading variants of the Lord God is a hidden God. That may be so in the modern era, but definitely not the case in the in the OT era, what with written tablets, burning bushes, parting of seas etc.

Personally, for me to believe, it would take an exterior locution or theophany.

And that would be…?

From what I’ve read, an exterior locution is a religious vision that includes **real **auditory or visual aspects. A theophany is a physical manifestation of God, i.e. Moses on Mt. Sinai.

he gave us the created world which reflects his glory
he gave us generations of prophets and patriarchs to whom he revealed his plan for humanity over time through the history of the Jewish people
he sent his only Son whose public life, death and resurrection is well attested
and he sent generations of witnesses who have died for the faith, and proclaimed the good news from the rooftops for 2000 years
Is there something else that would convince you?

I’ll be honest–it took more than this for me.

And all I have to say is, be careful what you ask for. If you want God to give you a sign, it may be a sign like “You’ve been ignoring me for so long that your life will now go so out of control that you will be left with no alternative but to recognize who’s really the boss, smart guy.”

The only other thing I’d suggest is not to spend so much effort looking for a huge miracle that you miss God’s many, many, small miracles that are taking place around you every day.

People who see life’s tragedies as proof of the non-existence of God blind themselves to the infintely more numerous joys that invalidate their argument.

I’ve had my share of hard times, but never once did I think, “hmm, God must be punishing me, or maybe it’s a sign”. These difficulties were always a result of either bad decisions, or bad luck. Simple cause and effect.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.