Why does God kill people?

I believe God is killing people by means of Natural Disaster (E.g earth quake)
What do you think?

From the CCC:
310 But why did God not create a world so perfect that no evil could exist in it? With infinite power God could always create something better.174 But with infinite wisdom and goodness God freely willed to create a world “in a state of journeying” towards its ultimate perfection. In God’s plan this process of becoming involves the appearance of certain beings and the disappearance of others, the existence of the more perfect alongside the less perfect, both constructive and destructive forces of nature. With physical good there exists also physical evil as long as creation has not reached perfection.175

Jesus seems to address this question in Luke 13:1-5:
At that very time there were some present who told him about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices. He asked them, “Do you think that because these Galileans suffered in this way they were worse sinners than all other Galileans? No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all perish as they did. Or those eighteen who were killed when the tower of Siloam fell on them—do you think that they were worse offenders than all the others living in Jerusalem? No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all perish just as they did.”

The pre-supposition of the Gospel is life. The supposition of death is eternal life. Eternal law by reason of natural truth is perfect. He does kill life in order to gain it.

We live on a dangerous rock, protected by a thin onionskin of air from…a vast spce of nothing. I believe God is truly trying to protect us from what nature does…

This question implies that God directly kills, rather than allowing death to happen. If I see a man falling from a building that I built, and I know he will die, that doesn’t necessarily mean I caused his death.

Death entered the world because of sin. Did God know it would happen? Yes. But what did He do in response? He entered the world, suffered, and died for us. He showed us His love, and His power over death, so that we could have eternal life with Him.

I also think the question implies that we are “owed” a certain amount of life. But we’re not.

Every moment of life is a gift from God. When we die, whether by “old age,” or natural disaster, or illness, or another human being, or whatever… it’s not because something was “taken” from us by God, but that it is the end of that gift.

Hopefully, at that point, we are given the even better gift of eternal life in Heaven!

Yet, most of us act like spoiled children who have been given candy, but don’t appreciate it, and throw a fit once it’s all gone. “I want MORE! Gimme more! Johnny got more than me! It’s not fair!”

Thankfully, God is merciful. :wink:

I think that you acknowledge that God does not do these things when you say that they are natural disasters.

-Tim-

Does anyone get heaven? Like seriously, if you believe in heaven then how is a good person’s death sad?

Death is always sad and hideous. It is the mangling of a being who should have lived for ever.

That said, God made us mortal for His own reasons. The circumstances under which the breathing is stopped do not ultimately matter.

ICXC NIKA

Sad in the original sin sense yes. But murder etc, seeks to deny God’s timeline and God’s will = the point of all things.

The fact that we can dislike good things because of desires is a sensible reason. Ie: Moses was denied the fruits of his labors but went to heaven. This would be like wanting to accomplish something but graduating or moving on to a better job before you could complete it. So as there are things I wanted to accomplish at my old job I had to move on before succeeding therefore it will always be “sad” I could not. So once heaven is attained no matter how glorious you are always lacking the ability to do the things you would have wanted within the life you were living and yes that can be sad. However, it is not overly tradgic in like someone who leaves a job and forever misses their coworkers and a myriad of other good things, but nonetheless moves on to the better job… we do not weep for the person who moved on.

Comparing to hell then maybe. Like someone laid off from a 200k/yr job now working at McDonald’s and lost their house… them we can more sensibly weep for.

God is the author of life, which includes death. In other words, God has everything to do with all being given life and all of those same lives dying.

I’m sorry this is going to hurt your feelings but kills by means of heart attacks too…
As surely as anyone is alive they shall surely die and thinking that God is somehow being “unfair” because people die in Earthquakes why is it any different than when people die of cancer, heart attacks, heart failure, etc…?

God bless,
D.

Probably because catastrophes kill people who seemingly would otherwise have lived, whereas someone who dies of illness has to all appearances, lived out his or her life?

ICXC NIKA

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.