Why does God punish Good Samaritan

Why does God punish good samaritans?

Recently I saw a news item where a lady helped a homeless person who had met with an accident by calling an ambulance. Since the Homeless person refused to go with the ambulance, the company is now charging the lady which runs to thousands of dollars.

I myself has faced similar problem during buying a house for my son.

Um… that is an unscrupulous ambulance company, not God.

If all around us is happening according to the God’s plan, then he must have allowed this (action of the unscrupulous Ambulance company) to happen to give us a message.

I am trying to understand this message.

Please do not attribute everything to God.

Then who are we supposed to attribute to what is happening around us?

God created rational creatures that can turn against their own nature. They are to blame. God is able to take their evil works and include them in His plan. Look at the cross. Evil deeds were turned into a work of salvation…

I know the NHS isn’t perfect but that is really grim

There is probably a “good Samaritan” law in your state which protects you. Call your local public attorney’s office and ask. Call the local medai and raise a stink - you cannot be the only one they are ripping off. There are many sleazy ambulance companies, sad to say.

If this should ever happen again, just dial 911 or your area’s emergency number and allow the fire department or paramedics to handle it.

For those interested, here is what I think is the story the OP is referring to:

Maybe the greater good will be the media attention it will get?
Maybe this will bring attention to the issue and force the ambulance service to better train their staff/change policy.

"Jenna had been reluctant to call triple zero after a previous experience where she had stopped to help a woman lying unconscious in a gutter in St Kilda in the early hours of the morning.

When police arrived they were aggressive and rude to both her and the woman, she said…"

It seems to me that the issue is twofold:

One-that Victoria Ambulance is sending debt collectors to chase money off a homeless person or Good Samaritan passerby.
Two-the way that homeless people are being treated by some hospital staff and unfortunately even some police.

Sometime people who are homeless or have mental illnesses may refuse to go to hospitals off their own accord,but in many other times i think it’s due to the negative experiences they’ve had there previously.
Quite sad that a man would be injured but have such poor perception of public hospital that he would rather refuse treatment.

@senake , was it God or the ambulance company that punished the lady ?

I find it disturbing that a company can charge a lady thousands of dollars for this .

Does this sort of thing happen a lot ?

According to the article, the news agency has since gotten dozens of calls with similar complaints.

According to the article, the news agency has since gotten dozens of calls with similar complaints.
[/quote]

Thanks , @Mike_from_NJ .

Debt collectors can be amoral rogues .

In the parable of the Good Samaritan, not only does he help the wounded man, but he pays his hotel bill too. It seems that there are costs involved when you become the Good Samaritan.

The parable was in answer to the lawyer who asked; what must I do to inherit eternal life?

Having said that, it is sad when society does not recognise the needs of the poor, and makes them pay for healthcare they cannot afford.

Thank you Eric. Your explanation makes lot of sense.

This is in Australia and the ambulance hastily rescinded the bill.
In fact the story is quite misrepresented

Read St Augustine on this

It is not God Who is punishing; it is the world. Remember, Jesus warned that the prince of this world is amongst us:

16 "I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves. (St. Matthew 10)
30 I will not now speak many things with you. For the prince of this world cometh, and in me he hath not any thing.** (St. John 14)

The reason why it seems that it is God Who is punishing is because Satan:

44… was a murderer from the beginning, and he stood not in the truth; because truth is not in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father thereof. (St. John 8)

Since you’ve mention the financial difficulties of buying a home, I will share this with you:

Once I was trying to buy a house for mom and me; a very “religious” person told me that he prayed that I would not succeed–his reasoning was that purchasing a house was a very difficult thing to do and that he did not want me to have to suffer through the problems of home-ownership.

In his mind, this person actually thought that he was doing good (as he confess that he prayed that I would not succeed in getting the house); sadly, Satan was up to no good again convincing this fellow that ill/evil was good.

Though I did not succeed in purchasing the house, I was able to understand that it was not God Who hindered my success; conversely, I did not hold any ill towards the fellow who profess to pray for my failure–this is part of life. The seller retracted the sale and hindered my chances of buying the property… as that old song coined “que será, será.”

So let’s not place the blame on God when we ourselves, other humans or Satan are at the root of the cause/effect/problem.

Maran atha!

Angel

I don’t mind amoral rogues. (I mean, ‘chaotic neutral’ isn’t the worst alignment out there…)

It’s the immoral ones that I watch out for… :wink:

…as stated previously: ourselves, other “human” beings and Satan.

Look at Scriptures:

17 Every best gift, and every perfect gift, is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no change, nor shadow of alteration. (St. James 1)

Conversely:

34 O generation of vipers, how can you speak good things, whereas you are evil? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh. 35 A good man out of a good treasure bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of an evil treasure bringeth forth evil things. 36 But I say unto you, that every idle word that men shall speak, they shall render an account for it in the day of judgment. (St. Matthew 12)
1 From whence are wars and contentions among you? Are they not hence, from your concupiscences, which war in your members? 2 You covet, and have not: you kill, and envy, and can not obtain. You contend and war, and you have not, because you ask not. 3 You ask, and receive not; because you ask amiss: that you may consume it on your concupiscences. 4 Adulterers, know you not that the friendship of this world is the enemy of God? Whosoever therefore will be a friend of this world, becometh an enemy of God. (St. James 4)

We have the choice to commit to doing good or ill; we have the choice to accept what develops in the world as part of life or seek to blame God for the bad things that take place.

Maran atha!

Angel

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.