Why does God punish Good Samaritan

God gives everyone free will.

1 Like

…not just debt collectors; while on the way to the cemetery to burry my mom the agency was calling me about making an appointment to retrieve the leased bed and medical equipment–never mind that I was at the funeral procession and distraught–retrieving their equipment and furniture was optimum!

Maran atha!

Angel

0 Likes

God created everything and it was good. He made man and gave him free will. When man uses his free will to do evil (to kick God out and do what he (man or woman) thinks is right for him/her, that is man’s doing. And believe it or not–something good will come out of that evil when God is let back in to the situation.
Just my take on it.

3 Likes

By blaming satan though doesn’t it take away the responsibility of the Ambulance service and “humans sins”?
I believe that satan does work “behind the scene” but is it always the case that it is satan or is it sometimes just sins from humans who are living in opposition to Jesus teachings (independently of satan)?

By opposition to Jesus’ teachings I mean they are valuing money over compassion.

0 Likes

I fully concur.

When I say blame Satan, I don’t mean to drop thing on him; however, people are quick to demand that God be held responsible for all the ills of the world. This is what I am countering. We should hold the person (man) responsible and we should understand that evil comes not as a result of God’s punishment or indifference but as a result of Satan’s operation: the prince of the world–a murderer from the Beginning and the father of lies.

When we connect the right “dots” then we can understand Scriptures when they Teach that we must flee from the devil and that we must get near to God: to be friends with the world (Satan’s realm) is to be at enmity with God.

Maran atha!

Angel

1 Like

We live in a zero sum world. In order that someone win in this world someone else has to lose. The only thing the Christian can do is, while being subject to this law governing a fallen world, rise above it spiritually with faith in Jesus’s revelatory truth and its declarations about the future of a saved person. Someone has to pay. Even Jesus had to lose his life so that we may gain ours. Ambulance companies don’t miraculously function with no overhead costs. Sure they could wave off demanding payment from someone but then they would have to eat it and eventually the company…good or bad would fail. Is it a greater good to have no ambulance to call or have an ambulance to call which someone has to help support? Non profits, for profits, self employed, unemployed living off the government, charities, you name it…someone always eventually has to pay in this world. In a perfect world everyone would split the costs according to their needs and abilities with absolute agreement, if this woman got a bill…everyone should be jumping in to help her pay it because everyone should be as concerned as she was about this homeless person and everyone should realize Ambulance companies run with costs, the focus isn’t on that though the focus is on a misplaced conception of where evil lies and what it consists of. This isn’t a perfect world. This world is like the universe after the big bang when matter clumped together here and there. Some people find themselves in clumps whose expenses are unfairly but necessarily distributed benefiting sometimes, losing sometimes but always subject to one or the other cost/reward distribution. Think about that next time you go to a fine dining establishment after watching one of them commercials at home about starving children. Someone is always losing while someone else is benefitting. The woman may be on the losing end of the laws of this world but she won by the laws of a higher plane of existence, the one Jesus told us about.

2 Likes

Thanks for helping me understand.
Happy Birthday too!

0 Likes

I concur with you on several points. However, the reality also is that big dogs eat little dogs (or is it fish?); the ambulance company is suiting the good Samaritan because she is the easy target. Since the homeless person has no financial means (nor a place to hound him for the money) and since the person refused to go to an emergency room (hospital/clinic subsidized by big enterprise or the government) the company decided to go after the person that they targeted as the “mark.”

Basically what this is saying to people is that be careful of that ole axiom: “No good deed goes unpunished!”

The big culprit is Satan but only because human greed defines the bottom line. Which brings us to that other axiom: “Once burnt, twice shy!” The next time that person (or any who had heard of the story) encounters a similar situation that person may hesitate just enough to turn a blind eye to a person in need of assistance for fear of suffering financial and/or emotional repercussions.

What was the loss for the ambulance enterprise (yeah, enterprise has big bucks sound to it)? Did it had to purchase a new ambulance? No. Did it had to hire a new driver or EMT agent? No. Was the burden of sending out the ambulance the final straw that broke the business? No–they had enough money to pursuit billing and filing against the caller. Could the cost of the dispatch be absorbed in the business expense column? Most likely as business list all of their costs and expenses to upset their gains for both tax and income purposes.

Greed is one of the 7!

Maran atha!

Angel

0 Likes

Glad to be of assistance!

Maran atha!

Angel

0 Likes

I agree with you, except…you are not suggesting I’m sure that one should be wary of doing good deeds for fear of being punished? The lesson here is not the ambulance companies unscrupulous behavior. There are good ambulance companies and bad ambulance companies to be sure and all things earn their just rewards in their season according to God will. Its not news that unjust things happen in this world. We all should know this. The lesson to be learned here is, is there good enough in us to do the right thing despite knowing the right thing may be punished in some manner and if punished is there good enough in us to do the right thing again if required? We cannot control the evil of this world we can only control our reaction to it and our reaction should always be within Christian charity.

0 Likes

Correct!

I’m not making such suggestion; rather, what I am saying is that people are coerced by their environment to behave in the way that either allows them to “fit in” or that brings less turmoil into their already taxing existence.

Again, I concur with you on this–and the statements following it.

Here’s what is really at the bottom of the barrel… are Christians (Catholics specifically) holding on to the Apostolic Teaching and what the Word Demands of us or are we being swayed by the lures and tribulations we encounter in the world?

The short of it is, “No.”

We are (humanity) as cattle, following blinding whatever seems to be leading us to “xyz.”

Fear of death, of getting hurt, of being sued or pursuit (as the good Samaritan of the above story), of being judged, of being found “different,” of having the goliaths of the world pitted against us…

It is the moral fiber that has been broken/bruised… to the point that Christians and others (as in the various examples of public assaults where the witnesses video tape and laugh at the victims or simply take on the three monkeys and the examples of (at least in the US) the government officials (including police officers) who look the other way, play stupid or act ashamedly against their sworn duties (to protect and serve) either actively enable the oppression by contributing to the onslaught or passively just “pretend” they do not understand that evil/injustice is taking place right in front of their eyesight or earshot.

Granted, it is not all Christians or all people… however, the more comfortable we become with the world and its ways the more difficult it becomes to distinguish “Christians” and goodwill-people from the toughs and oppressors in the world.

We should be guided not by fear but as you’ve stated:

We are Commanded to be the Salt and Light of the world… to suffer, with Christ, for doing good:

14 But and if ye suffer for righteousness’ sake, happy are ye: and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled; 15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: 16 Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ. 17 For it is better, if the will of God be so, that ye suffer for well doing, than for evil doing. (1 St. Peter 3)

Maran atha!

Angel

0 Likes

closed #32

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.