Why does Jacob's gospel isn't in the bible?

I’ve noticed that the gospel of Jacob contains very important information about virgin marry, so why it isn’t in the Catholic bible?

It is not in the EO Bible either even though certain icons and symbols simply make no sense unless you read about them in Jacob’s book or Old Coptic texts.
The official explanation is that, following styles of writing and words used it is unlikely that the book called “Jacob’s Gospel” to have been written by St. Jacob the Apostle out of the 12. So the Church decided it is uncertain who wrote it and can’t be published as coming from Jacob when there are no clear signs it was really written by him.

I’m actually more familiar with some Jewish traditions of scripture that retain all ancient Jewish writings, yet only a limited set have been adopted for liturgical and doctrinal use.

I never heard of this “gospel” before, and I don’t know what’s in it. Is your point that the “gospel” message is incomplete without this?

Perhaps the Church looked at it LONG ago and left it out for a reason, and centuries of time have not given reason to revisit that decision.

I have listened to one of Patrick Coffin’s videos on youtube.com about the popularity of apparitions of Mary. If I’m not misrepresenting him, I think he says that such are not necessary for the faith, and I agree with him.

The rosary was around for centuries before the alleged apparitions at Fatima. The “Fatima” phenomenon seems to have concentrated or focused people on praying the rosary, but I hardly think that is the only prayer we should be saying. I happen to prefer the litanies, where there is more intellectually challenging prayer, rather than repeating prayers over and over again. But, I digress.

I think he means the book generally known as the Book of James or sometimes as the Protevangelium.

The first mention we have of the Gospel of James in Patristic writings is from Origen writing in the third century, and Origen referred to it as having appeared recently and being of dubious origin. It never gained acceptance as being apostolic in origin by the Church Fathers and the idea of it being included in scripture or being authoritative was condemned.

It seems to date from the mid to late second century and to be a popular tale. This doesn’t mean the work is useless, as it may relate some popular traditions or, at least, show that widespread belief in Mary’s perpetual virginity are attested to quite early.

Fatima focussed people on reparation

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.