Why does Jesus appear as a child in apparitions

Dear brothers and sisters,

I am reading several books on Marian apparations, and I’m wondering why does our Lord Jesus appear as a Child with Mary?

His Incarnation is ETERNAL–and so in eternity He’s both an infant AND a grown man, and in His Divine Nature is the Ancient of Days.

In the story of the Holy Infant of Atocha, He brought food to those jailed for His sake by appearing as a child, but they saw His pierced hands and feet.

I think when there are aparations of Mary with Jesus that our Blessed Lord appears as a child to reaffirm Mary as mother. Also, if our Blessed Mother wanted to give us a message and came with adult Jesus we would be like well thats nice, what do you think Jesus?:smiley:

Exactly - there have been plenty of apparitions of Jesus as a grown man (the Sacred Heart and Divine Mercy apparitions immediately come to mind), I think the ones of Mary and the infant Jesus just have a different purpose to them, and a different emphasis.

This is the answer Jesus gave to Saint Faustina when she asked Him why He appeared as a child to her (quote taken from her diary):

“I appear as a Child in order to teach you humility.”

God became man so that man might become like God!

This is the first one I thought of, too. I’ve also heard it said… that Our Lord will sometimes appear as a little Child… so that we will be less afraid.

One of my favorite stories… of a Christ Child apparition was an appearence to St. Teresa of Avila.

She was approaching a staircase in her Monastery… and she saw a small boy standing there.

The Boy asked… “Who are you?”.

St. Teresa replied… “I am Teresa of Jesus; who are you?”.

And the Boy replied… “I am Jesus of Teresa”

That account, brought tears to my eyes and a smile to my face. :slight_smile:

One of reasons is to let all of us know how He honor His Mother – that is He still calls Her His Mother until eternity. Another reason is that She is also Our Mother who is still loving and protecting us as She was with Baby Jesus.

Come and Ask Her for Help.

I was contemplating an image of Our Lady when your post question came to mind. As I was praying, this thought came to me very strongly.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_dxMwleDsNcY/SCQosygNqRI/AAAAAAAABw4/ydrDz_Gmi7k/s1600/MadredeDios.jpg

With our culture of death’s attitude towards children, are we surprised that Our Lord would choose this? I strongly believe that we are living in the times of which Our Lord warned: *** “do not weep for me; weep instead for yourselves and for your children, for indeed, the days are coming when people will say, 'Blessed are the barren, the wombs that never bore and the breasts that never nursed.”*** (Luke 23: 28)

I often wonder how the Jerusalem women, who considered children as a gift from God, took such shocking warning? Did they wondered if such times were possible? Did they believe that a contraceptive culture was possible? How could women ever wish to be barren or take measures to make themselves so? They must’ve considered such times impossible to imagine.

Are we in the times of which Our Lord was lamenting about?

What better way for Our Lady to remind us of the divine gift of motherhood, than for her to come as a Mother?:slight_smile:

To Jesus through Mary :thumbsup:

Edward Henry

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

Edward Henry, I never interpreted those lines like that before :eek: I always thought that they referred to some upcoming time of doom, quite like the Holocaust where life would be so miserable that people would want death. I never thought that they could apply to abortion :eek: Thank you for posting your thoughts!! :slight_smile:

Free information on almost all I know on devoting oneself to the Sacred Heart of Jesus through the Immaculate Heart of Mary:
Pereptual online Adoration of the Sacred Heart of Jesus louisville-catholic.net/WebCameras/AdorationChapel/tabid/825/Default.aspx
True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin montfort.org.uk/Writings/TrueDev.html
**Secret of the Rosary ** montfort.org.uk/Writings/Rosary.html
Preparation for 33 day consecration to the Blessed Virgin saintlouisdemontfort.com/consecration.cfm
Reflections on True Devotion to Mary by His Holiness Pope John Paul II http://www.michaeljournal.org/montfort.htm
**The Glories of Mary, ** by St. Alphonsus de Liguori, one of the 33 Doctors of the Catholic Church, explains Hail Holy Queen http://www.catholictradition.org/Mary/glories.htm
On the Dolors of Mary by St. Alphonsus de Liguori, one of the 33 Doctors of the Catholic Church, explains the sufferings of Our Lady http://writer.zoho.com/public/immaculate/Seven-dolors
Marialis Cultus (Apostolic Exhortation for the Right Ordering and Development of Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary of His Holiness, February 2, 1974 by His Holiness Pope Paul VI ewtn.com/library/PAPALDOC/P6MARIAL.HTM
Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus en.wikisource.org/wiki/Devotion_to_the_Sacred_Heart_of_Jesus#FIRST_POINT._.E2.80.94_The_ardent_desire_Jesus_Christ_feels_to_be_with_us.
Divine Mercy Chaplet ewtn.com/Devotionals/mercy/dmmap.htm
Cathechism of the Catholic Church vatican.va/archive/catechism/ccc_toc.htm

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

Edward Henry, I never interpreted those lines like that before I always thought that they referred to some upcoming time of doom, quite like the Holocaust where life would be so miserable that people would want death. I never thought that they could apply to abortion Thank you for posting your thoughts!!

I know, I never did either. Suddenly it came to us during a discussion of Catholics, that Jesus’ sad prophecy of the dire times when people would wish, * "'Blessed are the barren, the wombs that never bore and the breasts that never nursed."* were here. We seem to live in a moment when the whole world seems to be confused and becoming more hostile to life.

On a more positive point, I believe that Our Lady will never give up, reminding us of the beauty of children and of Motherhood, and her apparitions with the Child Jesus, do exactly that.

Yes, Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse

To Jesus through Mary :thumbsup:

Edward Henry

The reference to the Diary of St. Faustina was my first thought too, but it also seems to me that in her diary we are asked to approach Jesus as if we were still small children approaching our parents.

To me, if we approach our Lord as a small child then we will start conversations with Him, ask HIm questions, and turn to Him when we are sad, hurt, or scared just as we turned to our earthly parents when we were small. I think of seeing Jesus as a child as a reminder of these things.

He appeared as a lamb in the apparition at Knock, Ireland.

I am going to have to read up on that. I don’t know much about that one. Thanks for the inspiration.

PL:thumbsup:

I'm confused and I keep wondring about that.Could someone explain to me?:)

Our Lord also appeared as a child with St. Joseph at Fatima and they blessed the world. As the Venerable John Henry Newman said, Jesus ever yielded to him the obedience of a son. I think by appearing as a child, by being so humble, He shows what great love God has for humanity.

:)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.