Why does praying at meal time seem weird?

Ok I pray all the time, when I see and accident or ambulance go by. I'll even pray for a good parking spot but praying during meal times has always seemed a bit fake to me. Is it just the rebel in me do you think? :o

Funny. We do it all the time. It feels weird NOT to.

Perhaps that having instant access to food has become such a luxury, you forget that it really is a long process, and God has provided us with the tools, intellect, and weather to make this food. Even in those times, thank God that you are able to eat, whereas many children around the world do not know what/when there next meal will be.

[quote="Luvz2travel, post:1, topic:249709"]
Ok I pray all the time, when I see and accident or ambulance go by. I'll even pray for a good parking spot but praying during meal times has always seemed a bit fake to me. Is it just the rebel in me do you think? :o

[/quote]

Maybe. I've started crossing myself and sometimes I rethink around others. We live in a godless culture, that for all the pride it takes in "living under God", is in truth secular and this affects us in everyday life. In response we (at least I do sometimes) try to keep our beliefs private from discomfort or fear that those watching might raise their eyebrows at public displays of religion:o Of course this would be disproved if your problem continues in private. Who knows why:shrug:

Mealtime is a good time to be thankful.

[quote="Luvz2travel, post:1, topic:249709"]

[/quote]

Lol, what kind of prayer do you say before a meal? Is it one of thanksgiving and for blessing the food?

Not sure why praying before a meal seems “fake” I am not sure what to make of that. Or why it is the rebel in you? Not sure who or what you feel you are rebelling against. Did you grow up saying meals at prayertime? Were those prayers insincere or something? Forgive me but your post strikes me as odd that someone so prayerful would rebel against prayers at mealtime. Prayers before meals can be beautiful. If for some reason you have a dislike for the traditional prayers then say a different prayer or write your own. God bless you.

I think it's the rebel in me. :rolleyes:

Saying grace still feels odd to me, even four years after converting.

My family never said grace growing up, except on the odd occasion when my father insisted we should be "more Christian", which usually involved having my mother take us to Bible summer camp and church on Sundays (while he stayed home to watch sports. :p) It always came across as "fake" to me.

Almost all of the rest of the prayer I do is on my own (except, of course, at Mass. :)) I had never experienced Mass before, so that didn't seem odd to pray there. Praying on my own was something I had done before, though not as much as I do now. :thumbsup: But praying, with other people, before eating - super weird. Even though I knew other people did it! :rolleyes:

As with other things faith-related, I just keep on keeping on. Prayer has become much more natural to me in every other facet of my life, so I expect this will eventually catch up. :D

What are you rebelling against?

Rebelling against common tradition probably.

I think its a very good thing to do. Not everyone is fortunate enough to even afford three healthy meals a day. Plus if you eat with your family it is a good thing to pray together. The family that prays together stays together. God always deserves an extra thanks doesn't he. :)

It seems wierd not to pray. I enjoy eating. And I love God who has provided me with the food. I find it wierd not to give Him thanks.

God bless.

[quote="SGTTOM, post:11, topic:249709"]
Rebelling against common tradition probably.

. :)

[/quote]

Very likely. :D:shrug::rolleyes:

It feels weird to me too actually.

Outside of Sunday Mass, I really didn't grow up with family prayer. My siblings and I do pray but it's always been more of a private thing and that kind of stuck on me as I grew older. However we do pray at unusually large family meals like at Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter and it doesn't feel weird then. It doesn't mean I don't express gratitude for food. I usually express my gratitude for food when I express gratitude for everything else I'm grateful for (which happens more often in the day then you might think...but usually not during times where I'm eating).

Praying at meal times was something we did at school and it was very controlled. The class stands up, says the prayer and goes to the cafeteria...or the entire cafeteria stops what they are doing for prayer.

Maybe my mind associates it as an order of business when large groups sit and eat rather than something intimate? I don't know.

I do know what you mean about feeling "fake". In general have a much harder time using already written prayers than I do praying extemporaneously. In the Mass is one thing but using elevated language in my personal prayers has always felt a little odd. Even with something as good as the Rosary: I've needed a bit of help from an audio version to make it a good prayer. It's very very difficult for me to complete 5 decades alone. :)

closed #15

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.