Why does the Bible say not to mix threads?

I don’t know where it says this in scripture, it’s either in Dut, Num or Lev. But it says not to mix threads. I am guessing this means not to wear clothing made of more than one fabric if they are like intermingled together or something. does anyone know the reason God may have put that paticular law into place? I’m jus tcurious.

[quote=SueKrum]I don’t know where it says this in scripture, it’s either in Dut, Num or Lev. But it says not to mix threads. I am guessing this means not to wear clothing made of more than one fabric if they are like intermingled together or something. does anyone know the reason God may have put that paticular law into place? I’m jus tcurious.
[/quote]

I think you need to be more specific. I went to biblegateway (they have a number of different versions on-line) and I did searches, but nothing came up about not mixing threads.

[quote=SueKrum]I don’t know where it says this in scripture, it’s either in Dut, Num or Lev. But it says not to mix threads. I am guessing this means not to wear clothing made of more than one fabric if they are like intermingled together or something. does anyone know the reason God may have put that paticular law into place? I’m jus tcurious.
[/quote]

Oh, I thought you meant not to mix threads in this forum! :stuck_out_tongue:

Disputed verses (KJV):**

%between%**

Leviticus 19:19
Ye shall keep my statutes. Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind: thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee.
Leviticus 19:18-20 (in Context) Leviticus 19 (Whole Chapter)

%between%**

Deuteronomy 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts, as of woollen and linen together.
Deuteronomy 22:10-12 (in Context) Deuteronomy 22 (Whole Chapter)

I would like to hear an answer to this as well…it has never made sense to me…

God Bless,
RyanL

thanks for finding it for me. does anyone have any suggestions? I understand about mixing crops. I think it helps them grow better. But the thing about mixing materials always seemed wierd. But I’m sure God had a reason. that’s why I’m asking.

[quote=Paris Blues]Oh, I thought you meant not to mix threads in this forum! :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]

lol, me too

Sue,

Great question!

My theory essential goes along with the notes to that verse I found in the online bible at newadvent.org:

VERSE 19. Different seeds, etc… This law tends to recommend simplicity and plain dealing in all things, and to teach the people not to join any false worship or heresy with the worship of the true God.

Maybe this was a allegorical teaching to stress Israel’s need to remain pure, and unadulterated?

What do you think?
God Bless
VC

Well that is obvious! The Water Cooler threads should NOT be mixed with the Apologetics, etc.

Never the two shall mix! :smiley:

Found this, which seems to work:

Linen is cloth made from flax, a blue flowered plant cultivated for its textile fibre and its seed called linseed. Garments made of linen were used primarily in the worship of Yahweh. Linen was not to be mixed with wool any more than the sacred is to be mingled with the secular, or truth mixed with error. This law symbolizes, amongst other things, the need to keep holy and secular things apart.
Leviticus 19: 19: Ye shall keep my statutes. Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind: thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee.
The Scriptures tell us that linen was used in the following instances:
[list]
*]The Tabernacle curtains and court were made of linen. (Ex 26:1, Ex 27:9)
*]The Temple Veil was linen. (2 Chron.3:14)
*]The Priest’s garments were linen. (Lev.16, 1 Sam.22:18, Eze 44:17-19)
*]The temple singers wore linen. (2 Chron 5:12)
*]The prophet Samuel and king David wore linen ephods on special occasions. (1 Sam.2:18, 2 Sam. 6:14)
*]The state dress of Joseph and Mordecai were made of linen. (Genesis 41:42, Esther 8:15)
*]Heavenly messengers wore linen. (Eze.9:2, Daniel 10:5)
*]The Saviour’s body was wrapped in linen before being placed in the tomb. (Matt.27:59)
*]The Lamb’s Wife will be clothed in linen, which represents holiness and righteousness. (Rev.19:8)
[/list] If you read these passages you will see that linen is a special material with rich symbolic meaning. Besides its pure white appearance it has the added advantage that it does not cause sweat as does wool, the material worn by the common working man.
Ezekiel 44: 18: They shall have linen bonnets upon their heads, and shall have linen breeches upon their loins; they shall not gird themselves with any thing that causeth sweat.

(Emphasis and italics in the original)

Works for me, unless someone else knows better…

God Bless,
RyanL

cool thanks :smiley:

Sounds good Ryan. The only thing I could offer is that wool shrinks when washed and linen doesn’t. Maybe the fabric if of mixed threads would get all puckered. I like Ryan’s explaination much better.

[quote=rwoehmke]Sounds good Ryan. The only thing I could offer is that wool shrinks when washed and linen doesn’t. Maybe the fabric if of mixed threads would get all puckered. I like Ryan’s explaination much better.
[/quote]

I like your practical side too :slight_smile:

[quote=SueKrum]thanks for finding it for me. does anyone have any suggestions? I understand about mixing crops. I think it helps them grow better. But the thing about mixing materials always seemed wierd. But I’m sure God had a reason. that’s why I’m asking.
[/quote]

Could you explain the mix crop thing to me, I never honestly understood why it would be a bad thing (annoying yes but, sin?)?

why does the Bible say not to mix threads?

Polyester is a mixed thread. Polyester is the trade mark of Disco. For me it was prophetic. God doesn’t like disco.
:stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=Montie Claunch]Could you explain the mix crop thing to me, I never honestly understood why it would be a bad thing (annoying yes but, sin?)?
[/quote]

Good questions. :yup:

You cannot harvest two crops from the same field without destroying one to harvest the other. The labor it would take to harvest one crop in the mist of two fields would increase 100 fold. Let us remember, God does not want us to destroy good seed.

Farm fact: Crops are not ready to harvest at the same time.

Mat 13:

24] Another parable he put before them, saying, “The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a man who sowed good seed in his field;
25] but while men were sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and went away.
26] So when the plants came up and bore grain, then the weeds appeared also.
27] And the servants of the householder came and said to him, Sir, did you not sow good seed in your field? How then has it weeds?' **28**] He said to them,An enemy has done this.’ The servants said to him, Then do you want us to go and gather them?' **29**] But he said,No; lest in gathering the weeds you root up the wheat along with them.
30] Let both grow together until the harvest; and at harvest time I will tell the reapers, Gather the weeds first and bind them in bundles to be burned, but gather the wheat into my barn.’”

God’s an anti-disco farmer? That’s AWESOME!

:rotfl:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.