Why does the church of Scientology use a cross as their symbol?

My understanding of Scientology is that they believe on an all powerful deity, no where have I seen mention of a savior by the name of Jesus Christ who died on a cross. In my opinion, using a cross in a secular way is like make your symbol an electric chair, because, taking God and Jesus out if the picture, that’s what a cross is, a way of carrying out the death penalty. Does anyone have an explanation or just care to share their feelings on the matter?

I've heard that it is a cross with an X over it (as in no-Christianity), and while that explanation makes sense, I haven't heard anything from sources I'd consider authoritative on the matter.

[quote="davy050995, post:1, topic:291356"]
My understanding of Scientology is that they believe on an all powerful deity, no where have I seen mention of a savior by the name of Jesus Christ who died on a cross. In my opinion, using a cross in a secular way is like make your symbol an electric chair, because, taking God and Jesus out if the picture, that's what a cross is, a way of carrying out the death penalty. Does anyone have an explanation or just care to share their feelings on the matter?

[/quote]

When Scientology had IRS and FDA Problems they had their staff dress up in clergy garb and created the cross with an X over it to make their buildings look religious.
:eek:

Either they do it on purpose or they don’t have a clue. That’s taking God’s name in vain and is first of all idolatry. We must pray that they don’t go to far with this. The price is hell.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen

Mama Mary, please don’t let anyone go to hell!

Scientology’s symbol is similar to the Rosy cross

It stands for the eight dynamics (the eight corners), which after reading L. Ron Hubbards’ Dianetics is nothing more than utter psychoanilitcal nonsense.

More so, if you wanted to “sell” a religion to people…what better way of dressing it up than using a modified cross? What’s even more coincidental is that in their “Xenu” story on the origins of the universe, Christianity was an implant given to our “thetans” by a motion picture implant.

Again nonsense…glad to see people airing this cult out. They need exposed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.