Why does the devil still try?

If we know that the gates of Heaven will prevail, that Jesus will redeem our sins and the end of time will result in God’s triumph, why does the devil still try? Does the devil know the outcome? Does he understand that God will prevail?

I guess it is much easier for me to understand God’s permittance of the devil’s attempts, because then God can see which of us really love God. But my confusion lies with the devil’s continual attempts if he knows of his failure in the final outcome.

Evil ultimately does not care about anything other than dragging down as many as it can. Yes, the devil knows he’s going to lose but he also knows that he can drag souls down with him through sin. The devil sees each soul he drags into hell as a victory for him. He knows he cannot win the war, but he thinks he can still win many battles.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.