Why does the Douay Rheims Bible use the word paradise instead of Eden

i noticed that the Douay Rheims Bible uses the word paradise instead of Eden to describe where God put Adam and Eve. i heard that paradise was the more accurate use because of something having to do with the first human beings coming from Africa and Moses knew this and alluded to that even though i don’t understand that.

Eden-derived from the Sumerian edinu"a plain", but Akkadian- Aramaic bilingual inscription suggest real meaning is “luxuriance”
Paradise-Greek “paradeisos” via Old Persian pairi-daeza, meaning “an enclosed park. a pleasure ground”.

so what does this have to do with Moses and Africa and does this mean that to use the name of Garden of Eden is not accurate?

If you read the text it does not say garden of Eden, it says a garden in Eden.
Eden is the location of the enclosed garden. Genes 2:8
So the Greek reads that God planted a paradise in Eden.

Genes 2:10 makes the location of the garden paradise less certain; but may be referring to a spring coming out of the Ground – rather than out of the borders of Eden.

The description of the rivers and their names indicate that the garden was located somewhere in the fertile crescent. I haven’t heard of any reference to Africa which fits this – though there is speculation that the pharaoh who took power in Moses’ day was black.

Sorry I can’t be of more help :shrug: but that’s all I know.

Only thing I can think about Moses and Genesis is Moses supposed writing of the Torah…Africa-I have no clue what could the possible connection unless somebody is thinking about the Table of Nations- but that is much later then the Creation.
The idea of Eden or Paradise or the garden of the Lord it is meant to portray an idyllic place before sin entered the world.
Unless someone is thinking of the Sumerian “Eden” Dilmun. but that is in the Persian Gulf- Baharain to be exact.How far is the Persian Gulf from Africa?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.