'Why does the Pope wear a hat when he prays when the bible says men shouldn't cover their heads?''

Someone said this to me recently and I wasn’t sure what to say. Thanks

ewtn.com/expert/answers/zucchetto.htm

Where in the Bible does it say men shouldn’t cover thier heads? From the very early days, Jews have covered their heads in and out of temple.

I wonder if this is somewhere in the Old Testament. If so you should look at the Book of Leviticus and see all the regulations Christians don’t follow.
He may also be taking this from Saint Paul. As I recall, the New Testament says, actually, women should cover their heads in church. I remember sixty years ago when Catholic women wore something on their heads during the mass. However, it seems this was just on the level of a Church regulation that could be modified.
(Furthermore, Saint Paul spoke of wearing something in church. Not simply when praying.)
If this subject comes up again, you might ask where the Bible says this.

1 Cor 11:4
Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonors his head.
NKJV

Thanks. I wasn’t aware of this line in Saint Paul.

Every man praying or prophesying with his head covered, disgraceth his head. But every woman praying or prophesying with her head not covered, disgraceth her head:for it is all one as if she were shaven. For if a woman be not covered, let her be shorn. But if it be a shame to a woman to be shorn or made bald, let her cover her head. The man indeed ought not to cover his head, because he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of the man. For the man is not of the woman, but the woman of the man. For the man was not created for the woman, but the woman for the man. Therefore ought the woman to have a power over her head, because of the angels. But yet neither is the man without the woman, nor the woman without the man, in the Lord. For as the woman is of the man, so also is the man by the woman:but all things of God. 1Cor 11:4-12.

I have to say I always found these verses somewhat mystifying, especially considering the Jewish practice of the yarmulke.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.