Why does the Pope's address give remission of temporal punishment?

I posted this as I don’t understand how just listening to an address can be a garentee that God will forgive or pass up temporal punishments due… and is it really all temporal punishment you’ve ever stacked up? That you’ve confessed (I’m assuming he believes you have to be Catholic and to have been forgiven the sin itself)

How can Catholics be sure of this?

Is it scriptural (did anyone else ever forgive any temporal punishment)?

and don’t you have tp earn it? it seems a little bit silly to just hear someone speak and be garenteed something like that.

sorry for the questions… i only heard it on the news yesterday and didn’t know that happened or what it means, and then it seemed so alien to me that i’ve started doubting that i heard it at all… as it didnt seem to surprise anyone else… but then that’s quite important if it is true isn’t it? (sorry i’m rambling lol)

any help anyone?

S

First, do you believe that Christians are required to perform deeds worthy of their repentance (see Acts 26:20)?

Acts 26:20 calls these “worthy deeds” (Gk axios ergon), which are alternatively translated “meritorious works.” Do you believe that Christians are exhorted to repent, turn to God, and do meritorious works? What benefit, do you suppose, come from such meritorious works?

[1] It is part of the gifts Peter and Church has (eg Mat 16:18-19).

[2] This was a “Plenary Indulgence” so yes it is possible that it removed ALL temporal punishment for those who were properly disposed, those less than properly disposed received a Partial Indulgence corresponding to their disposition.

[3] It is assumed that you are a Catholic in good standing and in a state of grace.

[4] Faith in Scripture and Church teaching.

[5] Yes there is such a thing as forgiveness of temporal punishment in Scripture, for example: Through love and faithfulness sin is atoned for; through the fear of the LORD a man avoids evil.
-Prov 16

8Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.
-1 Pt 4

19My brothers, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring him back, 20remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover over a multitude of sins.

• James 5

39Then the Lord said to him, "Now then, you Pharisees clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside you are full of greed and wickedness. 40You foolish people! Did not the one who made the outside make the inside also? 41But give what is inside the dish to the poor, and everything will be clean for you.
42"Woe to you Pharisees, because you give God a tenth of your mint, rue and all other kinds of garden herbs, but you neglect justice and the love of God. You should have practiced the latter without leaving the former undone.
-Luke 11

Popular Purgatory passages are 2 Macc 12:46, Matt 5:25f, 1 Cor 3:15.
**[6] **You do “earn” it in the sense you make a effort to hear the Pope’s message on an important feast day and that you properly dispose yourself.

Is this the indulgence that you are referring to?

APOSTOLIC PENITENTIARY
** DECREE**
according to which is granted a daily Plenary Indulgence
on the 150th Anniversary of the Apparition of the Blessed Virgin Mary at Lourdes

[LEFT] **On the occasion of the 150th Anniversary of the Apparition of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the Grotto of Massabielle near Lourdes, a daily Plenary Indulgence is granted to the Christian faithful who, from 8 December 2007 until 8 December 2008, devoutly and in accordance with the established conditions, visit the Grotto of Massabielle, as well as those who, from 2-11 February 2008, visit a blessed image of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Lourdes solemnly displayed for public veneration in any church, oratory, grotto or suitable place.

[/LEFT]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.