Why does virtually every non-Catholic religion target Catholics for conversion?

Just wondering. I know that most non-Catholic Churches like to brag that they have lots of “ex-Catholics” in their ranks. But it seems to me that Catholics are everybody’s primary/favorite group to target for attack and conversion.

It truly boils down to,"If the Catholics are right we’re wrong."It sounds simplistic but it is truly and PROFOUNDLY threatening.Why do they expend so much energy and in some instances such as the Adventists base at least 40-50 percent of their faith on hating and denigrating the True and Complete Faith of Catholicism?While the Catholic Church expends no energy in attacking them.We are secure in the knowledge that we worship as Christ commanded and it is totally unnecessary to attack them.

It’s like being a boxing champ. You have to fight to defend your title, and everyone wants to take your title from you. People who believe in their religion want to take a jab at Catholicism because they do not understand it, and they want to knock it off the number one spot. In the really secluded areas of the U.S. where there is practically no Catholic presence, those areas have people that just worship God without any care in the world as to what Church they are actually attending.

It seems funny in a way, but I always asked myself that question. There must be something about us Catholics that makes us a good hunt.

It seems to me that Hollywood would not be half as successful if it weren’t for all the Catholic references and characters. Does the devil target anyone else for possessions? Are we his *only *enemies?

It seems to me that all Protestant denominations have quite little in common, other than they ALL agree that “at least they aren’t Catholic”!:smiley:

It seems to me that Eastern churches, though they have a lot of theology in common, have many ‘not so small’ differences; sometimes, they seem just as different among themselves as when compared with the Latins.

It seems to me that atheists and agnostics have a great time at reducing Catholicism to the absurd…maybe they feel that it will have a ‘domino effect’ on the rest.’

In general, it seems as if we are found to be “worthy opponents”…~LOL

Well, when both Catholic and Protestant missionaries went to the Middle East, they converted very few Moslems, but spread a lot of confusion among members of the indigenous Apostolic Churches they found–Christian communities much older than anything in the West.

How could any Church be older than Catholicism which Christ made come into being while He walked this earth?Your assertion is absurd and I note quite unsupported.Big surprise.

That certainly wasn’t my personal experience. No one tried to convert me. I walked into an Episcopal church and said I was an “unhappy Roman Catholic”. I was invited to attend services. No material was sent me, no calls were made. I sought out the material when I felt that was ready to investigate further. In each step, I motivated it. No one ever urged me, said a bad thing about the RCC, or tried to get me “signed up.”

I admit, that my faith tradition has an inordinate number of ex-RC’s in it. But even they never speak against the Church. I have no bad feelings for it, and wish it well. I am concerned about the direction it is heading, but it is no longer my concern.

My church is not by nature an active proselytizing one. We have no such ministry, among the dozens available. We offer many many ministries designed to help people, but trying to convert someone is not part of the package.

There are people who come here who are RCC and are thinking of leaving. In no instance have I ever felt correct in trying to entice them to my faith. It is unseemly and unnecessary. If my church is worthwhile, it needs no promotion. We welcome all. No doubt we, like the RCC did plenty of it overseas, in the past, but we don’t know, at least as far as I’ve seen.

I dont think age of Catholicism is what was reffered to there.

Well, that’s not true of all non-Catholics. I would not attempt to convert anyone who has an active life of faith in their current church, Catholic or non-Catholic. At the same time, I would not erect barriers to anyone who inquires about joining the Lutheran church. And, certainly, the conversion of the unchurched is a goal.

Personally, and this is just me, I don’t see why any Latin Catholics should be trying to convert those who are already Christians, especially the ones that have a common ancestry to the Early Church.

The only think I may understand is trying to share the Sacraments with those who don’t have them…which by necessity involves a “conversion”…though, I in NO way see it as them not knowing God or the HS or being saved, etc.

Targeting other Christians seems a bit like “recycling”…rather than “producing” fruit…maybe it’s just me…

Very True!

Thank you for sharing your personal experience. But you made the overtures. I’m talking about those faith groups that aggressively target Catholics, not those that wake up one day and decide they don’t want to be Catholic anymore. That said, I’m not surprised that the Episcopal Church didn’t try to proselytize you. Catholics don’t usually either.

Lutheran’s never struck me as people trying to go after Catholics, at least in the modern sense. Maybe back in the old days!

What he said. :smiley:

Jon

–"Christian communities much older than anything in the West."I believe that that speaks for itself.

Could also be the fact that if you lump in the western catholic rites with the eastern orthodox rites, and toss in the anglicans for good measure, there are more than 1.5 BILLION of us. by comparison, almost every protestant sect is an endangered animal. Hunt where the prey is abundant, especially since with so many members we’re also statistically going to have so many more weak members to snipe off.

It seems to me that atheists and agnostics have a great time at reducing Catholicism to the absurd…maybe they feel that it will have a ‘domino effect’ on the rest.’

I’m not so sure on this statement. A lot of atheist I’ve debated with, and that has been QUITE a few, have admitted that the catholic view of God at least is scientifically possible and that they respect the methodical approach of catholicism to faith FAR more than they respect the protestant subjective approach. I’m convinced that Bill Maher made religulous at a truck stop precisely to avoid the type of christian/catholics that we have here on CA.

=Sunflower15;5043678] It seems funny in a way, but I always asked myself that question. There must be something about us Catholics that makes us a good hunt.

I’ll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too!! :smiley:

[quote]In general, it seems as if we are found to be “worthy opponents”…~LOL

Why not brothers and sisters in the Church Militant?

JOn
[/quote]

Could also be the fact that if you lump in the western catholic rites with the eastern orthodox rites, and toss in the anglicans for good measure, there are more than 1.5 BILLION of us. by comparison, almost every protestant sect is an endangered animal. Hunt where the prey is abundant, especially since with so many members we’re also statistically going to have so many more weak members to snipe off.

I’m not so sure on this statement. A lot of atheist I’ve debated with, and that has been QUITE a few, have admitted that the catholic view of God at least is scientifically possible and that they respect the methodical approach of catholicism to faith FAR more than they respect the protestant subjective approach. I’m convinced that Bill Maher made religulous at a truck stop precisely to avoid the type of christian/catholics that we have here on CA.

I guess this is a pretty good explanation.

In the name of Allah , Most Gracious, Most Merciful

In another forum , a non-Catholic told me among Christians mostly Catholics are becoming Muslims .

Any idea why that is? Just wondering…

It seems to me that the Lord has a number of very clever ways of generating interest in His work… :wink:

In the name of Jesus Christ, God from God, Savior and Lamb, Maker and Word.

funny. did they present statistical proof from a verifiable source?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.