Why doesn't God audibly tell people not to do certain things?

Say a woman wants to get an abortion, couldn’t God audibly tell her that it is sinful and not to get it done? I get that free will is why we are able to… but surely it wouldn’t be taking away free will for God to simply say not to do something. One could still choose to reject God’s command.

Luke 16:27-31

27 “He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, 28 for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’

29 “Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’

30 “‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’

31 “He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’”

Surely a command directly from God would convince more people than a priest would though…

I don’t know, on reflection I’ve received some pretty clear signs not to do something, which of course I completely ignored because I was bent on doing whatever it was.

The problem is that voices compete. It’s not that different from the old angel and devil on the shoulder trick on TV. It depends which we have the habit of listening to. People get into habits, and the sinful thing often has the persuasive sense of being easier or more fun. The devil tempts us very, very quickly and quietly.

I couldn’t tell you why God doesn’t audibly announce with a big booming voice out of the sky, “Hey, don’t do that!” But he does speak to us. It’s just a matter of whether or not we’re accustomed to listening.

Pretty much this. I’ve gotten some pretty clear “DON’T DO THAT” messages form on high, promptly ignored them, and then promptly regretted it shortly thereafter.

It doesn’t matter how clear the message is. If someone doesn’t want to listen, they’re not going to listen.

People do have free will. People are aware things are sinful, but choose them anyway. God is not going to keep following everyone around whispering or shouting audibly for people to knock it off. It wouldn’t be free will if He did.

:thumbsup:
Perfect! You beat me too it! This Sunday’s reading are a great example.

Also, our free will would be severely compromised if the Creator of all creation spoke directly to us to tell us what we should and shouldn’t do. If we aren’t able to freely choose God, then our love for Him would not be a true agape kind of love.

We must choose Him even when it is harder, even when we don’t want to, even when it doesn’t feel right, even when we feel angry, even when we feel nothing at all.

Having fear of God because of our faith in Him and our awe of his power is good, but having fear because He (who gives us our every breath and could stop them just by not thinking of us for a nano second) spoke directly to us to tell us what not to do would not be a healthy fear and is not condusive to true agape. Our love for God must be a free choice, not just obeying out of fear of being obliterated because you know he is watching you and told you not to do something.

Also, bad things and bad choices happen. We never know what God’s plan for someone’s life may be. Perhaps a woman goes to get an abortion, but seeing her crying on the way out of the clinic stops someone else from going in? Perhaps that child who’s life was spared will be a prolife advocate or sidewalk counselor that will help women struggling with this decision? Perhaps the woman who got the abortion will have a conversion of heart because of it? We may never know, and that’s okay.

Every life belongs to God. If he allows for some to be lives to be protected or spared and others to suffer or be killed, we as creations should not question why, but instead should ask ourselves and God how we can be His instruments to better bring about His will in the midst of tragedies, suffering, loss, and death.

Lastly, God does speak to us. The Word of God even became flesh :signofcross: to come tell us how to live. His audible words were written down and we have them to read and study. If we decide to ignore or turn away from the Word, then we have made our choice.

Maybe God doesn’t audibly speak to that woman, but instead spoke to the unborn child’s father and he ignored God, or maybe the cashier at the grocery store she stopped at that morning ignored a heavenly urge to say a kind word to her that day.

We are all members of the Body of Christ. Rather than sitting on high and constantly telling us what to do and what not to do, God relies on the Body of Christ to deliver his messages to the world, with Christ as our head directing us in our mission.

Personal accountability for our sins is essential to repentance. Someone’s sins are not due to God’s shortcoming’s, nor his priests.

People already know that murder is wrong. They don’t need to see one more billboard or hear one more message.

This is the quote that came to mind immediately.

There is another thread similar to this one.

Here is what I posted there:

“This” has been going on since the beginning.

When the early Jews got the Ten Commandments and Moses was meeting face to face with God … DAILY! … they turned their backs and worshipped Baal.

They had a face-to-face relationship with God!

After the Jews were led out of bondage in Egypt … THEY COMPLAINED.

For that, they wandered around the desert for 40 years.

AND, one of the twelve Apostles betrayed Jesus!!! [How could he DO that???]

Samuel said he would convert everyone … in the end, he despaired that even he might not be good enough.

“Lord, have mercy on me, a sinner.”

Adam & Eve didn’t listen to God Himself so why would people listen today ?

So you are blaming God for our sins? This seems to happen here … Poor God. Gives us everything then gets blamed when we choose to do wrong…

You would not drive the wrong way down a one way street. ?

:thumbsup:

I dunno but here’s speculation:
Because the degree of culpability would be ratcheted up manifold?
Because he wants us to trust God’s voice in each other?
Because true faith is never purely personal between us and God, it’s supposed to be lived out in community?

You mean a direct command such as, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die"?

God spoke directly with Adam and Eve, and yet they disobeyed.

Not necessarily.

Any encounter with a being claiming to be God could be understood in a skeptical or even an atheistic manner. That being could be a lesser being from another dimension claiming to be God, or it could even be a being from another planet more evolved than humans are, and maybe even be a technology from such a race.

The fact is that such an encounter would only be believed for what atheists always invoke as a God of the gaps argument: I don’t know what this is, and so I’m going to assume that God did it, or that it even is God.

The problem is that people wave away the philosophical reasons for believing in God for simply being “God of the gaps” explanations, but yet will claim they would believe in God if He revealed Himself to them in an obvious manner. I think that’s an inconsistency.

copycat! :wink:

But we DO have His rules. And we have to take full responsibility for our actions when we disobey

YOu make very heavy weather out of something so simple a child understands it…Ah but Jesus says that too…Become as a child,

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.