Why doesn't God speak to me?

I mean in the literal sense of course.

Would you know his “voice” if he did?

Literally to your ear maybe not, His voice is like uploading info directly to your brain until you understood what He tells you. No voice needed.

@bclustr9

God does speak to us in various ways, Through the Church ,the Popes ,Priests sermons ,through people ,through husband ,through, wife ,through children ,through strangers ,through ,sicknesses incidences in our lives all the time ,we only need to listen.Repent and come back to him and pray and wait for him he will answer you Isaiah 30: 20 Though the Lord may give you the bread of adversity and the water of affliction, yet your Teacher will not hide himself any more, but your eyes shall see your Teacher. 21 And when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left, your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.”

1 Kings 19:11 He said, “Go out and stand on the mountain before the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by.” Now there was a great wind, so strong that it was splitting mountains and breaking rocks in pieces before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake; 12 and after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire a sound of sheer silence. 13 When Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his mantle and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave. Then there came a voice to him that said, “What are you doing here, Elijah?” 14 He answered, “I have been very zealous for the Lord, the God of hosts; for the Israelites have forsaken your covenant, thrown down your altars, and killed your prophets with the sword.

If God speaks to us directly literally we would seize to exit,well we would get a heart attack,i guess as said in Exodus 20:18 people feared Exodus 20:18 When all the people witnessed the thunder and lightning, the sound of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking, they were afraid and trembled and stood at a distance, 19 and said to Moses, “You speak to us, and we will listen; but do not let God speak to us, or we will die.” 20 Moses said to the people, “Do not be afraid; for God has come only to test you and to put the fear of him upon you so that you do not sin.” 21 Then the people stood at a distance, while Moses drew near to the thick darkness where God was.

For me, God speaks in my heart and in silence. Oftentimes, this occurs when I am out walking by myself, and sometimes even in the shower.

Some groups even have these “walking retreats” regularly.

I guess, it depends on how you journey with the Lord. :blossom:

Why should He? Is Scripture not enough? Is the Mass and sermons not enough?
Can He not speak to your heart? Would you listen if He did?

I’d be a little worried if you literally heard the voice of God conversing with you as it could be a sign of mental illness.

Rather God speaks to us in our hearts and in other ways by the Holy Spirit (Scripture, the Mass, clergy, prayer, etc.); he shows us signs.

I don’t know why. If you are honestly seeking the literal sense, a few people and saints have heard the physical voice of God. Faustina did. Anyone who interacted with Jesus did. But wondering why you aren’t one if the few He has done that with seems odd. As far as receiving message and direction from Him, scripture, prayer, etc is surely sufficient.

Have you ever read Faustina’s Diary? God spoke to her conversationally… and how much trouble did she have with it? :stuck_out_tongue:

How about Moses? Moses looked upon God face-to-face and had conversation with him— and he had to cover his face, because it bothered everyone so much.

I know one person who asked to see God face-to-face as he was. And he answered their prayer, and they could feel him coming towards them from infinitely far away… and the prayer quickly changed to, “Go away! Go away! Go away!”

It’s a hard thing to ask, to ask to casually interact with God. Because it comes with a lot of other stuff as well. And I bet 99,999 out of 100,000 of us don’t have what it takes. (I know I don’t!)

I sure would

Are you listening for Him?

God speaks to you when you least expect it. How He is going to speak to you is His business and He can’t be ordered around. God makes His presens known to you in a way He sees fit, not as you want Him to or expect Him to. Sometimes that is physically “hands on” and other times it is as tender as the movement a butterfly makes. You will know when God speaks to you either at the moment or some time after you will know that God was present in the situation you were in.

Because it sounds like mogan Freeman or James earl Jones?

You would have to be of great holiness for that to happen. Some saints in the OT did have literal conversations with God and in more recent times with Jesus.

God speaks to you in the literal sense through His Church. The Scriptures are one way that God speaks to you through the Church. Doctrines and Dogmas are another way.

We simply have to train our ears and hearts to be receptive to what He says.

Wish I could like this eleven times! That is one of my favorite passages of Scripture.

If you had a conversation with God, it would be because He has big plans for you and a tough mountain to climb, full of obstacles and struggle.
It would really put a damper on your tv watching.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.