Why doesn't God take free will away from Bad people?

I’m not saying from everyone, but why doesn’t God take free will away from someone who is about to commit a terrible act and stop it. For instance why did he not take Hitler’s free will away and stop the holocaust? Or even the devils free will as I’m told he also has freewill. Why does God refuse to take free will away?

1 Like

Because it’s free will

7 Likes

The question is what happens when free will butts up against God’s will. Sure, people have free will but God also has a will for what happens on this earth “thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.” So, in my humble opinion, bad people can continue in their free will decisions until there comes a time when God says “NO MORE!” Then a bad person’s free will ends and the will of God takes over. I have seen this happen many times and it has happened in my own life.

Hitler and other bad people do not live forever and their free will deeds have and will end according to God’s will. Now you could ask, why does God allow bad persons’ free wills to continue so long? I ask that question every day and so far the only conclusion I’ve come to is that God is allowing them time to repent freely of their own will. But then, God also doesn’t allow this repentence period to continue forever and his will will prevail every time.

2 Likes

I asked God to take away my free will at one point because I felt like I couldn’t avoid sin on my own. He didn’t. In hindsight I think it was because if He took away my free will, I would never be free to choose Him, and to do so not just in my mind but through my actions.

2 Likes

Because God is not a tyrant or a monster.

If we are not free too choose Him and His will or to choose not Him and Not His will, then there is not really love there. If God is just going to overwhelm us with His Grace anytime we begin to deviate too far from Him and His will, then what is the point of this life and free will? Why not just negate free will and the sufferings of this life and sin and just create us in heaven with him in eternal bliss?

This video by Fr. Mike Schmitz goes into this concept.

I also would recommend getting his talk “The Four Last Things” which expands even more on these concepts.

1 Like

I personally have a hard time believing that God cares about whatever bad that happens to us, and that we’ll just get what we deserve after we die, since this life is supposedly not important + is all about getting to the afterlife

It is easy to imagine this with grave evils, but we could just as easily ask why doesn’t God take away our free will whenever we are about to commit even a minor sin.

Also, God may be giving people who commit grave evils a tremendous amount of grace to repent. They may simply be refusing to cooperate. In that we ultimately choose Heaven or Hell if those who commit grave evil received tremendous grace they’d have no excuse. The case against them would be clear. It wouldn’t be in any way unfair.

2 Likes

He doesn’t take it away because it would be imperfect to do so. If He took away someone’s free will, He would be forcing them to act a certain way. How could they merit either heaven or hell if they’re not in control of their own actions?

3 Likes

There is a passage on God providing sunshine and rain to the good and evil. I don’t understand the whole freewill thing.

Because that wouldn’t be free will, and would therefore undermine the entire concept. Plain and simple.

2 Likes

He would be denying Hitler’s existence, because Hitler is essentially a being with rein over his actions. To make a free being unfree is a contradiction, an impossiblity: it would make Hilter a non-existence.

So what you are really asking is why did God create Hitler, despite his sins.

Christi pax.

If God took it away and basically nullified it, it wouldn’t be free will. The difficulty is what about the will of the person/people who are effected by another person’s sin. That’s where Jesus is our ultimate example. It is our reaction and response to the evil around us that builds our character and give us a chance to unite our sufferings to Jesus’ cross and gain merit in heaven. How? Will we fight against evil, like in Maccabees? Or, will we compromise with evil and have to face the consequences? Will we pray and fast? The alcoholic’s prayer comes to mind, knowing the difference (I don’t drink, but that prayer is very good). It’s not abuse/suffering/sin that makes us who we are, but our response to it.

Because then He would have to take it away from the human race because aside from Christ and Mary, ALL have sinned. We all do evil. If we did not there would be no need for the Sacrament of Confession.

1 Like

Dt 30
15 “See, I have set before you this day life and good, death and evil. 16 If you obey the commandments of the Lord your God[a] which I command you this day, by loving the Lord your God, by walking in his ways, and by keeping his commandments and his statutes and his ordinances, then you shall live and multiply, and the Lord your God will bless you in the land which you are entering to take possession of it. 17 But if your heart turns away, and you will not hear, but are drawn away to worship other gods and serve them, 18 I declare to you this day, that you shall perish; you shall not live long in the land which you are going over the Jordan to enter and possess. 19 I call heaven and earth to witness against you this day, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse; therefore choose life, that you and your descendants may live, 20 loving the Lord your God, obeying his voice, and cleaving to him; for that means life to you and length of days, that you may dwell in the land which the Lord swore to your fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.”

If God removes choice from us, we are mere robots. That’s not how He made us.

1 Like

I seems to me the answer to this is quite simple. God always defers to our will. At death we will receive the consequences of the exercise of our will. Either heaven because we aligned our will to God’s will. Or hell, be we aligned our will against God’s will.

2 Likes

In a mysterious way, the more one suffers, the closer they are to God. Suffering is redemptive and expiates sins.
1 Peter 4:1Since therefore Christ suffered in the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same intention (for whoever has suffered in the flesh has finished with sin),

Why doesn’t God stop a bullet in mid air , or a hurricane, or anything bad from ever happening.

B5FC6473-CE5A-44CD-979E-6C09B6A5DEB1

Why doesn’t God stop me From posting :thinking:

God does care what happens to us in this life … I have prayed for many things in my lifetime and my prayers have been answered … I think you could ask many people who pray if they have had the same consolation, and you would get a yes.

1 Like

That seems to be a fair question:

The Short answer is that God CANNOT do this and remain “God”; defined as ALL GOOD THINGS PERFECTED"

Gen 1: 26-27 tells that God FREELY choose to create humanity[ AND ONLY HUMANITY] in His Very Image… The John 4:23-24 tells us that “God is SPIRIT”

So then how to reconcile these mysterious differences of human mortality and Divine immortality.; HOW does humanity emulate our God?

God freely choose to gift every human Soul [& ONLY human souls] with a mind, intellect, & FREEWILL. So like God we are rational beings. BUT it doesn’t end there. This, what I have come to term “our Other self”; LIKE GOD is also immortal, so when we die; our souls with minds, intellects and freewill attached attain the eternality of hell or heaven that our FREEWILL choices warrant.

So now to answer your question

God in order to be “Perfect” [God HAS to be Perfect and cannot be imperfect] in an absolute sense CANNOT take back Gifts that he freely bestowed upon our creation [birth]; especially in this case because there gifts are given PRECISELY so that we are able to choose our Eternal Destiny for ourselves; THUS proving either Love or Hate of our God.

Isaiah 43: 7 & 21 verify this:
[7] And every one that calleth upon my name, I have created him for my glory, I have formed him, and made him. & This people have I formed for myself, they shall [MIGHT] shew forth my praise" "“Shall” in this context means OUGHT to or are obligated to.

So my friend the answer is that God simply CAN"T do as you suggest.

God Bless you,
Patrick

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.