Why Doesn't Rome Give Up Her Heresies and Come Back into Communion With The Eastern Christian Churches?

Just curious

Which heresies would those be?

All of those Rome has embraced since they split from the other 4 Patriarchs.

I think their will be full unity in the near future?. Since Islam is spreading, and secularism with it, look at the Anglican communion. All five Patriarchs will have no choice but to unite for the benefit of God’s Church and the deposit of the Orthodox Christian faith.

Sorry, I confess myself uneducated in these matters. I’m afraid you’ll have to be more specific. (Not that I can speak for ALL of Rome, mind you!)

I agree. The Western only councils since then where the Assumption and Papal infallibility werre defined are false IMO as they did not come from the whole church East and West. That applies too to the Second Vatican Council.

Oh dear. Where to start…

1. Limbo - unbaptized babies in hell for all eternity even though they have never sinned
  2. Guilt / Original Sin - the complete misunderstanding of which caused Rome to proclaim the Immaculate Conception
  3. Purgatory - completely against Jesus’ description of the state of those who die before the Last Judgement when they enter Heaven or Hell as described in the New Testament - not to mention completely foreign to the Early Church and to all of the Eastern Churches in or not in union with Rome, etc.
  4. Supremacy of the Pope - who according to Scripture and the Early Church Fathers, and the Orthodox and Eastern Catholics, is equal to all the other Patriarchs
  5. The Addition of the Filioque to the Creed due to a misunderstanding of the Most Holy Trinity.

Do I really need to go on?

Might as well get it all out now.

Because, Rome isn’t heretical.

…somehow this may not be a sufficient answer for some. My snidey sense is tingling.

That’s funny. Read history.

You know, my dear, there is right way and a wrong way to go about things.

Allow me to help you with this.

Posting an incindiary comment on a Catholic forum claiming opines about the Catholic Church: WRONG

Praying for the union of the East and West and discussing the differences so that all can see where all stand: RIGHT.

Hope this helps!

We are in the Non-Catholic part of the Forum.

Meanwhile I am Catholic. Melkite Greek Catholic and I am sick of the Roman Catholic Church’s weird beliefs which compromise the True Catholic Faith, the Fullness of Orthodox Christian Teaching.

Yes we are.

Better.

Okay, how and what has the Melkite Greek Church taught that differs with the Latin Rite?

The forum rules apply here as well.

*6. Do not view the discussion area as a vehicle for single-mindedly promoting an agenda.

1. Non-Catholics are welcome to participate but must be respectful of the faith of the Catholics participating on the board.*

Meanwhile I am Catholic. Melkite Greek Catholic and I am sick of the Roman Catholic Church’s weird beliefs which compromise the True Catholic Faith, the Fullness of Orthodox Christian Teaching.

Many here pray that our Orthodox brothers and sisters will see their error and “come home to Rome.” I will be sure to pray for you as well.

Limbo is not and was not hell. It was never dogma, only theological speculation. Not an issue.

1. Guilt / Original Sin - the complete misunderstanding of which caused Rome to proclaim the Immaculate Conception

Beyond the scope of this thread. I suggest a new one.

1. Purgatory - completely against Jesus’ description of the state of those who die before the Last Judgement when they enter Heaven or Hell as described in the New Testament - not to mention completely foreign to the Early Church and to all of the Eastern Churches in or not in union with Rome, etc.

Based on our Jewish roots, so not foreign to the early Church. Also based heavily on scriptures. Again, will derail the thread, I suggest a new one to discuss.

1. Supremacy of the Pope - who according to Scripture and the Early Church Fathers, and the Orthodox and Eastern Catholics, is equal to all the other Patriarchs

Funny how it is the ones not in charge making the claim. Peter was first among the twelve. His successor is first among Bishops. First among equils is still first.

1. The Addition of the Filioque to the Creed due to a misunderstanding of the Most Holy Trinity.

Do I really need to go on?

First use of the Filioque was in a Orthodox Church is Persia, so it is not our creation. The main problem is the terminology chosen translated into heresy in the Greek. The problem is not with our understanding, which is correct and acceptable to the Orthodox, but in the linguistics and pride on both sides. But, there are thousands of threads on this, and I would rather not derail this one.

I would love to see reunification. However, there seems to be more venom from the EO towards us than the other way around.

my, my. You’d better be more than just curious when you throw kerosine on the fire.:stuck_out_tongue:

:rotfl: :console: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

This is funny…poor eastern catholic’s
(not all just people like this person who think rome is heretical)

If you deny the pope and other catholic dogma and doctrine you are no better than a Protestant :stuck_out_tongue:

“where the pope is so is the church”

PS…i read somewhere that orthodox catholics don’t believe in the imaculate conception because it was a pope who confirmed this belief:shrug:****

My question is which will happen first, this thread losing charity or dawn.

What time is it there now? :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.