Why doesn't the CCC have an Imprimatur?

This may be a silly question, but why doesn’t the Catechism of the Catholic Church have a ‘Nihil Obstat’ and ‘Imprimatur’ stamp at the front?

I’m just guessing here, but maybe those are only applicable to outside publications which seek Church approval, not to official publications of the Church herself.

Because it is a Church document, promulgated by the Pope. I don’t believe you will find them on any papal encyclicals either.

It doesn’t have the Nihil Obstat because that would be a lower church official saying “nothing obstructs” the publication. It doesn’t have the Imprimateur brecause that would be a lower church official indorsing the work.

Note that it does have John Paul the Great’s Apostolic Letter introducing it.

The CCC has an introductory letter by Pope John Paul II and he has signed the letter.

I don’t know if this is the same thing but between the title page and the table of contents my copy has:
Imprimi Potest
+Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger
Interdicasterial Comimission for the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.