Why don't Catholics believe we are saved by faith alone?

When I’m confronted about my faith at school, I’m always asked this one question: “Why don’t Catholics believe we are saved by faith alone? I even says in Ephesians 2:8 ‘For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God.’ All you really need is faith, yet Catholics say you need good works as well. True, good actions result from your faith, but they have nothing to do with your salvation.” What is a really good answer for this statement? I need to tell my friends (and some teachers!) a complete, solid answer for this. And I want to understand this fully too. :slight_smile: Thank you in advance!

These links should be helpful in understanding the Catholic position on sola fide, or salvation being by faith alone. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.
Recommended Reading:

[LIST]
*]Salvation is “just believing in Jesus”…
*]Doesn’t the good thief prove sola fide?
*]Sola Fide before the Reformation?
*]This Rock: Quick Questions: Sola Fide
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.