Why Don't JW accept blood transfusions??

HI everyone!!!

I was wandering why JW don’t accept blood transfusions. My sister is a JW and i never really have asked her but i really wanted to know. i know that she told me that it was for a biblical reason but what reason??:confused: :confused:

The same reason Jews will not eat meat with blood in it (not slaughtered according to their law), because God told them to (in the Old Testament). However, JWs take this to the extreme of the extreme, even the most orthodox Jews today will accept blood transfusions, and do not agree with the JW understanding of scripture in this area.

JWs have twisted scripture in many many ways - this is one of them.

~Liza

Here’s a variety of articles and videos on the question:

watchtower.org/e/medical_care_and_blood.htm

On top of what lizaanne said, the JW’s also point to the NT. After the Council of Jerusalem when it was dogmatically defined that Gentiles could become Christians without succumbing to circumcision a letter was written to the Church in Antioch specifically stating to refrain from blood. Here is the biblical account to which they point to support their decision not to have blood transfusions:

Acts 15:19 Therefore my judgment is that we should not trouble those of the Gentiles who turn to God, 20 but should write to them to abstain from the pollutions of idols and from unchastity and from what is strangled * and from blood. 21 For from early generations Moses has had in every city those who preach him, for he is read every sabbath in the synagogues." 22 Then it seemed good to the apostles and the elders, with the whole church, to choose men from among them and send them to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas. They sent Judas called Barsabbas, and Silas, leading men among the brethren, 23 with the following letter: “The brethren, both the apostles and the elders, to the brethren who are of the Gentiles in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia, greeting. 24 Since we have heard that some persons from us have troubled you with words, unsettling your minds, although we gave them no instructions, 25 it has seemed good to us, having come to one accord, to choose men and send them to you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul, 26 men who have risked their lives for the sake of our Lord Jesus Christ. 27 We have therefore sent Judas and Silas, who themselves will tell you the same things by word of mouth. 28 For it has seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things: 29 that you abstain from what has been sacrificed to idols and from blood and from what is strangled and from unchastity. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well. Farewell.” 30 So when they were sent off, they went down to Antioch; and having gathered the congregation together, they delivered the letter. 31 And when they read it, they rejoiced at the exhortation.

Now ask any JW how he likes his steak and prepared to be shocked when they don’t say, “medium well.”

It should be noted that the Witnesses have waffled on the issue a bit. Some highly-placed Jehovah’s Witnesses reportedly developed hemophilia or similar blood disorders, which led the Watchtower organization to find ‘wiggle room’ to allow for certain ‘fractions’ of blood plasma to be used. Also, Witnesses allow their members to undergo surgical procedures in which the patient’s own blood is captured, cleansed, and re-directed back into the patient in a continuous loop that never ‘interrupts’ the normal circulatory system. It is suggested this, too, was a compromised worked-out after a very highly-placed JW official developed health issues.

All of this aside, please let us be fair in noting that blood transfusions DO have some medical risks associated with them. One CAN be made ill from a tainted blood supply. One can even have a reaction to blood from a perfectly-compatible, perfectly-healthy donor. Such reactions are rare but they are possible. The impetus to develop alternatives to blood transfusions is on-going and a lot of that research is given added focus because Jehovah’s Witnesses peculiar religious proscription creates a perceived need for it. So society as a whole does benefit to some degree from the Watchtower’s intransigence on this issue.

Hi:

You might find the following website helpful:

www.ajwrb.org

If you have specific questions feel free to email me at jschwehm@catholicxjw.com

Jeff Schwehm
President
The Fellowship of Catholic Ex-Jehovah’s Witnesses
www.catholicxjw.com

the society never gave us any benefits from not receiving blood transfusions flameburns. the researchers who found that blood can be tainted notified the authorities of tainted blood, researchers also found hep strains and aids in blood. not jw’s. we did not benefit from them at all regarding the blood issue. we benefited from research, not conducted by the falsetower. they have zero point on the blood issue.

also note to, that in times past regarding the scripture that the poster quoted in the book of Acts, it is referring to the actual DRINKING of blood, not receiving it by transfusion. transfusions were not even invented back then. no one would even today ACTUALLY drink blood. blood sent via the veins from a tube is not absorbed as food. it replaces lost hemoglobin, and is not absorbed by the body as food. if you were to drink blood, it goes directly through the natural process of elimination as when we actually eat or drink.

we do not eat or drink blood transfusions. so the witnesses have an erroneous false belief on this, and they misinterpret what the scriptures say. they twist it to suit their false belief as usual.

we all know what the book of Revelation 22 states regarding anyone who adds or takes away from the scriptures. the witnesses are guilty of changing the Bible to suit their beliefs. so they are then guilty, and God will deliver out His justice to them according to what is written in the end of the book of Revelation.

WOW… thank you!! i had no idea about any of this. this is a really big help!!! So in all honesty if my sister God forbids needs blood transfusion she will not get it for all the wrong reasons? This is really scary.

Exactly! And she would rather die than receive a transfusion. I’m married to a JW, and it scares the heck outta me if something happened to him. In fact, he had to have emergency surgery 5 months ago when he had an accident at work, and the doctors said it could’ve required a blood transfusion. Luckily, he didn’t lose too much blood in the accident, so there was no need for blood (THANK YOU GOD!)

Just be warned though, that if you ever ask her about this issue, she’ll come back to you with a very ridiculous analogy they made up. They compare it to “if a doctor told you to abstain from alcohol because it would kill you (ie. alcoholics with cirrhosis of the liver), you wouldn’t even think of transfusing it into your veins, right?” Well, the thing is that the Bible clearly states **abstain… and from blood. **Meaning, do not eat it, not as nourishment. It doesn’t say do not use blood to save your life, to help you build up hemoglobin, etc, does it? No it doesn’t. JWs are well known for making weird stuff up and for changing the Bible to fit their beliefs and to back up their weird statements.

Like TraditionalCath said, the last book of Revelations says that whomever changes the Scriptures, will be punished. Punished how? With death!

Rev 22: 18-19

18 I warn everyone who hears the prophetic words in this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book, 19 and if anyone takes away from the words in this prophetic book, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city described in this book.

Therefore, their judgement will be coming and what’s waiting for them is not pretty.

Pray for your sister’s soul. She will need all your prayers.

yeah i would’ve never known. How do you deal with that? How do you deal with having your husband be a JW and your not? Me and my sister bump heads all the time and i feel resentment toward her sometimes. Well thank you all so much for all this awesome information!

It wasn’t easy dealing with it when we first married. It took me about a year to get used to it. Now, after 17 months of marriage, we try not to touch the subject of religion because if we do talk about it, we always end up in a nasty argument. The worst part now is thinking about having kids. I want them baptized and raised Catholic, and he didn’t, now he says he’ll let me, but we’ll see, right? The good thing though is that he’s not your typical hard-headed JW any more. He misses a lot of meetings, he usually only attends one of the 2 hr ones, and doesn’t preach, and also doesn’t have bible studies. That has helped a great deal. Right before we married he was shunned (for refusing to end the engagement with a Catholic), but then he was more of a JW than now. He had studies at work (during lunch), he went to all the meetings and all the assemblies.

All you have to know is that your sister TRULY loves God, but she’s been misguided. Prayers are what will help her. Only God will take her out of this “religion”. Doing the “I can show you the watchtower teaches lies because of this and that” will only hurt you and hurt your relationship with her. I tried that with my husband, but I had no luck. I leave it up to God. Have Masses offered for her. Pray the Divine Mercy chaplet, pray novenas (especially during the Feast of Divine Mercy), one of the days of Divine Mercy is dedicated for the conversions of souls. Pray the Rosary. Ask for the intecession of Saints for her conversion. St Jude is patron for impossible causes, he may be a good one to ask for help. Be loving to her and don’t question her. Tell her she’s important in your life so that if one day (God willing) she decides to leave the JWs, that she may come to you for help and support.

God bless you and your family!

At one time the JW’s also fobade organ transplants because they said it was canabalism…I think this changed about the time one of the Governing Body members wife needed an organ transplant to live.

The JW’s practice A LOT of hypocrisy on this issue…until they start slauthering their meet in accord with Kosher Law and cook their meat well done…I’ll call them hypocrites. There is more hypocrisy in the fact that they accept some parts of blood, but not others…STUPID!..and deadly.

I feel sorry for the rank and file JW’s on this issue…they will be disfellowshipped…cut off from all they know and love as JW’s, if, for the sake of life, they accept a needed blood transfusion.

Never implied that the Watchtower organization itself did any such research. Only pointed out that the conspicuous way in which Witnesses have asserted their right to refuse transfusions, and their persistence in demanding alternatives, help prod the medical community to develop such alternatives. From the Watchtower’s point-of view the whole issue is probably a holier-than-thou/hey-look-at-me sort of thing. The rest of us however do benefit from their antics in some degree. By the same token: religious liberty both in the United States and in many other democratic nations was greatly helped when the Witnesses fought so rigorously for their rights to ‘preach’ their false gospel door-to-door. It may be forgotten now, but Watchtower literature between 1930 and 1the late 1950’s was often quite inflammatory, especially towards Roman Catholics. In response, they were banned in many communities and even restricted in their practices in some countries (I believe Canada was among them). The Watchtower Society used the courts to overturn those laws–which could have formed a foundation for laws which would have restricted religious freedom for all of us. By winning back their own rights, the Watchtower protected the rights of all of us.

the researchers who found that blood can be tainted notified the authorities of tainted blood, researchers also found hep strains and aids in blood. not jw’s.

Medical science of course did the legwork in uncovering many strains of disease which can be transmitted blood-to-blood. The risks of being made ill from a transfusion even from a healthy donor of one’s own blood type were known about almost from the beginning of transfusions. (One common problem–some people have extreme allergies to a wide assortment of substances. Such people can die from receiving blood transfusions from a donor who had consumed something the patient was allergic to). The risks of such reactions however were rare, and the risks of transfusions are far outweighed by the risks of NOT giving a transfusion to someone who needed one.

By the way–BECAUSE Jehovah’s Witnesses would not accept blood transfusions, medical protocols WERE developed specifically to help treat them. Such medical protocols, once developed, were available to other patients who for whatever reason could not receive blood transfusions. Obviously, the Witnesses themselves did not develop such protocols–they were developed FOR the Witnesses, by medical people.

we did not benefit from them at all regarding the blood issue. we benefited from research, not conducted by the falsetower. they have zero point on the blood issue.

While I agree that Witnesses themselves did little or none of the research, I respectfully disagree that they did not–by living by their own religious principles, however wrong-headed–contribute to the progress made in this area of medical science.

also note to, that in times past regarding the scripture that the poster quoted in the book of Acts, it is referring to the actual DRINKING of blood, not receiving it by transfusion. transfusions were not even invented back then. no one would even today ACTUALLY drink blood. blood sent via the veins from a tube is not absorbed as food. it replaces lost hemoglobin, and is not absorbed by the body as food. if you were to drink blood, it goes directly through the natural process of elimination as when we actually eat or drink.

And yet, if you are unable to receive food orally, you CAN be fed intravenously. Which is part of the argument the Witnesses make. I agree with you that the idea is being taken to an extreme position far out of context to what the Scripture has in mind. But I can be charitable enough to really try to grasp the crux of the issue for Witnesses

we do not eat or drink blood transfusions. so the witnesses have an erroneous false belief on this, and they misinterpret what the scriptures say. they twist it to suit their false belief as usual.

we all know what the book of Revelation 22 states regarding anyone who adds or takes away from the scriptures. the witnesses are guilty of changing the Bible to suit their beliefs. so they are then guilty, and God will deliver out His justice to them according to what is written in the end of the book of Revelation.

We don’t disagree that the Witnesses are mistaken on this and on any number of other issues.

By the way–BECAUSE Jehovah’s Witnesses would not accept blood transfusions, medical protocols WERE developed specifically to help treat them. Such medical protocols, once developed, were available to other patients who for whatever reason could not receive blood transfusions. Obviously, the Witnesses themselves did not develop such protocols–they were developed FOR the Witnesses, by medical people

Just so you know…Bloodless surgical techniques are EXTREMELY expensive money wise. I am not saying that this should stop doctors from using them on JWs or non-JWs for whatever reason. I am just saying that there are cases where treating with blood is safe and much less expensive (as in 10X less expensive) on our health care system than treating people using a bloodless technique and most people do not realize this.

Jeff S.

I THOUGHT I JUST READ THAT A JW CANT MARRY A NON-JW

you are right, that is why my husband was disfellowshipped. He refused to break up the engagement and decided to marry me. It took the over a yr and a few months to realize they were pushing him away from the Watchtower and let him back in. They’re sneaky that way… they saw he had a serious accident and decided to bring him back i n before it was too late. Oh, and they saw our marriage was a good thing for him, so they had to stop using that against him.

nope she wont get one. she probably carries a card around conveniently produced by the falsetower that says she does not want blood even if she is unconscious. pretty sad eh? :frowning: she would rather lose her life than take a blood transfusion that could save her life. if you ask me, their refusal of blood is like commiting suicide:(
and all for this terrible organization that lies and perpetuates their lies. :mad: i would NEVER willingly give up my life for that lying organization! never! iam glad that i got out! praise God!:thumbsup:

you make valid points, but in regards to the society, i wont give them any credit where it is not due. if they were inflammatory in their articles, then that is no surprise to me. lots of beliefs have gone to court to fight for rights iam quite sure, its not just them.
they love the court system, they use it frequently. but what about all those who take witnesses to court because their loved died of a lack of blood? what about their rights? don’t their rights matter?
take the case of bethany hughes for example in canada a few years ago. look it up on google. it was all over the news. the father was denied his rights in the case. he has been in court fighting for his cause for a few years now. the court system has been used also for people and their rights too not just the jw’s. the falsetowers belief on blood and enforcing it and telling their members to pack around cards that state that in the event the member is found unconscious and not to administer blood to them is like asking their members to commit suicide in a way isnt’t? don’t take blood! its like saying, die for our beliefs! that’s the way it sounds to me. its like suicide.

Here is an interview I did with Bethany’s father:

catholicxjw.blogspot.com/2006/06/blood-on-altar.html

Jeff S.
www.catholicxjw.com

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.