Why don't the resurrected remember where they were?

If the soul goes to either heaven or hell when a person dies, why don’t those that were resurrected in the Bible ever recall their experience of being either in heaven or hell? Why do they awaken as if emerging from slumber?

Where did you read or hear that they don’t remember?

5 Likes

Oh, well I just assumed that they don’t remember since I don’t recall ever hearing about the resurrected mentioning what their experience was. I don’t recall hearing about the lamentations of the resurrected regarding the closeness with God they’ve now lost or the gladness of being freed from those infernal fires below. Instead, it’s as if they’re awakened from a dreamless sleep, coming back into awareness from seemingly nothing.

Where would we hear of the firsthand experiences of the resurrection at the end of time?

You mean, for example, Lazarus or the girl whom Jesus raised? I assume that they were in neither heaven nor hell, but Sheol, the resting place of the dead. Since they were dead there, they would not remember being there.

But are there not resurrections that occur before the end of time? Does Jesus not resurrect people in the New Testament?

Nobody gets resurrected from hell.

As @Beryllos said, they were in sheol, the limbo of the fathers. Hell is permanent. So is heaven. I don’t know of anyone being resurrected after being in Heaven… other than our Lord. But he doesn’t really count for this.

I didn’t know Lazarus was resurrected. I just knew he went to heaven. The girl that was raised by Jesus definitely comes to mind though.

According to Dr. Taylor Marshall in his “4 Sections of Hell” video, Sheol refers specifically to Limbo in the Bible. It’s where the good souls that left the Earth before the time of Christ’s sacrifice went. Limbo is the best part of hell. Apparently, there are trees there and running water.
Are you suggesting that the soul goes to place to lay dead there? Are you suggesting that the soul can be unconscious? I don’t think that’s a correct idea.

We can only speculate about what they remembered. The point is, there is no record of what they remembered, so we can’t make any conclusions from their silence. Many things are not recorded in Holy Scripture. For example, we don’t know practically anything about Christ’s teen-age life, who his friends were, or what his favorite sport was. Now, don’t tell me he didn’t pass through teenage, and that he just suddenly became an adult when He appeared at the Jordan. Likewise, let us not conclude that those who resurrected did not remember anything when they rose from the dead.

3 Likes

Is Sheol not a part of hell? According to Dr. Taylor Marshall and his “4 Sections of Hell” video, Sheol is a part of hell. It’s the very edge of hell.

This seems acceptable to me. Thanks for your input.

1 Like

Yes, just as we say in the Creedo, He descended into hell and on the third day he was resurrected. However, it’s important to note that He did not go to free the people who were there to suffer eternal torment and never went there. He only went to the Limbo of the Fathers. There were no fires of torment there.

1 Like

That’s two different Lazaruses. The one from the parable and the one Jesus raised.

2 Likes

Also in the Old Testament: Elijah raised the widow’s son.

Are you thinking of this verse?

Ephesians 5:14 “Wake up, sleeper, rise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you.”

Night and slumber symbolize sin and infidelity before serving Christ. Also, slumber in a similar sense is mentioned in:

Romans 13:11 And do this, understanding the present time: The hour has already come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed.

Scripture is silent on many things. This means that those things, like what Lazarus said after his resurrection or what Jesus was doing at age 15, were not something vital to our Christian walk nor our Salvation.

6 Likes

Oh? But what about John 11:11-12 where Jesus explicitly uses the term “sleep” but then reveals that he’s talking about death?

@PenguinBeak, are you a Seventh Day Adventist?

1 Like

No, I am a Catholic actually. Do I cause reason to believe otherwise?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.