Why don't we all go to hell?

I was reading a list of mortal sins and I noticed that things like gossip, masturbation, sloth, even over eating we're on there! Why don't we all go to hell I've committed each of those few I listed at least once (or more). I am an extremely faithful person, I strive in every aspect of my life to know, love, and serve God.

What about, for example, some of my classmates? They do those things on a regular basis. They know fully that it is wrong yet continue to do them. Simply because they just don't car! Are they all going to hell? I know it is no humans place to judge but strictly speaking, they are knowingly committing an offense against God!

I don't know. The amount of people who do these things on a regular basis either makes me think that heaven must be a lonely place or God must be really lenient.

Exactly how easy is it to get into heaven I guess is my question. I know you are always supposed to do the hardest things possible to serve God but I mean how can some of these people get in if they are so corrupted?

Please be kind in answers. I know it's not my place to judge. That isn't the question.

First of all, your faith is a great gift. Don't give it up!

To answer your question, I think most theologians would say the answer is this: we just don't know. As you correctly noted, our Lord warned us not to attempt to judge the souls of others.

Remember, there are three conditions for a sin to be mortal:
1) Grave matter
2) Full knowledge
3) Deliberate consent.

What percentage of the population meets number 2 and 3? Only God knows. "Unintentional ignorance can diminish or even remove the imputability of a grave offense. But no one is deemed to be ignorant of the principles of the moral law, which are written in the conscience of every man. The promptings of feelings and passions can also diminish the voluntary and free character of the offense, as can external pressures or pathological disorders." CCC 1860.

Remember also, God is always willing to forgive those who truly repent later on. The most important thing for us is to work out our salvation and try to help others. (Philippians 2:13). We must pray for those who struggle. Remember the prayer given at Fatima, "O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell,*** lead all souls to Heaven, especially those most in need of Thy mercy***."

[quote="Kingsolomont, post:1, topic:348502"]
I was reading a list of mortal sins and I noticed that things like gossip, masturbation, sloth, even over eating we're on there! Why don't we all go to hell I've committed each of those few I listed at least once (or more). I am an extremely faithful person, I strive in every aspect of my life to know, love, and serve God.

What about, for example, some of my classmates? They do those things on a regular basis. They know fully that it is wrong yet continue to do them. Simply because they just don't car! Are they all going to hell? I know it is no humans place to judge but strictly speaking, they are knowingly committing an offense against God!

I don't know. The amount of people who do these things on a regular basis either makes me think that heaven must be a lonely place or God must be really lenient.

Exactly how easy is it to get into heaven I guess is my question. I know you are always supposed to do the hardest things possible to serve God but I mean how can some of these people get in if they are so corrupted?

Please be kind in answers. I know it's not my place to judge. That isn't the question.

[/quote]

Because Gods love and mercy are greater than any sin we could ever commit

[/quote]

Why aren't we all bound for Hell? JESUS!

Jesus came to pay the price that should be ours, we sinned, we deserve punishment,
but Jesus stepped in and took on the wrath of God, suffering the price on our behalf.

It is for those who turn to him for salvation who are saved, trying not to sin helps too,
but even the righteous man falls seven times a day (Proverbs 24:16). Strive for God,
avoid sin, if you sin neither get discouraged nor slothful in caring, give to God what
is due to him (Adoration, Worship, Faith, etc.), and come to him for mercy.

He will turn again, and have mercy on us:
he will put away our iniquities: and he will
cast all our sins into the bottom of the sea.
- (Micah 7:19)

[/quote]

It's VERY hard to get to heaven! That's why the Bible says to work out our salvation with fear and trembling, to take the narrow gate. When he said narrow, he meant NARROW!

romancatholicism.org/jansenism/fathers-fewness.htm

[quote="jmr_1985, post:2, topic:348502"]

Remember, there are three conditions for a sin to be mortal:
1) Grave matter
2) Full knowledge
3) Deliberate consent.

."

[/quote]

how can anyone do something with "full knowledge"

[quote="arnoldoe, post:6, topic:348502"]
how can anyone do something with "full knowledge"

[/quote]

There is full knowledge of the particular and then there is the issue I think you may be challenging, which is full knowledge of the general - the whole picture. We can have full knowledge of the former but not the latter - the latter is in God's remit.

[/quote]

What is missing from your assessment is God's infinite mercy and the salvation won for us by Jesus Christ. We cannot lose sight of that or else we will naturally despair.

Wow that's easy Christ or we would all go to hell.

Sometimes, the most simplest of Jesus Christ’s sayings gives one hope and courage..

John 16:33,

I have told you this so that you might have peace in me. In the world you will have trouble, but take courage, I have conquered the world.

vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/__PXO.HTM

I am certain I can find many saying of Jesus where he conquers sin and tells us not to worry.

Like, as a weekend trip?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.