Why don't we as Catholics discuss prophecy ?

I have always wondered why we as Catholics don’t speak much about biblical prophecy. Why is that?

I am sorry,but may you be more specific? Past prophecy or future prophecy?

Oh my apologies ; Future prophecy.

I understand that we do not believe in private interpretation but wouldn’t it at least be healthy to discuss biblical prophecy to gain a better understanding?

It seems like many Catholics are afraid to speak about the end times and AntiChrist etc.:frowning:

Its Private Revelation which needs Vatican approval which basically means it must coincide with the deposit of faith. Then its not required belief on individuals, though it would be worthy of belief. You see it discussed here now and again though. :slight_smile:

No one knows the day nor the hour. When it comes, according to the Bible, it will be instanteous like a lightening bolt.

Another thought is most will face death so why concern oneself with the end times. For some the end times will come sooner than for others.

Sure, we discuss prophecy. We discuss and are curious about the end times. Also discuss Fatima etc.

Because unfortunately a lot of people are fools, including Catholics. Infact, if anything the devil will try harder to confuse the very people who should know better. Regardless of what we do or don’t know, or any modern mystics, the reign of the anti-christ could begin at any time. People were far more prepared for this reality in the past than they are today, there is a scary “10 bridesmaids” scenario going on currently. At least largely in these forums.

By the way, Biblical prophecy is private revelation GaryTaylor?

I understood the question to relate to private revelation of the Church. I have seen both discussed Daniel, Revelation etc. I believe they will show on the search engine.

Bible is Public Revelation. :wink:

I completely agree! We were instructed by Jesus to know the signs of the end and were taught to believe that Judgement day would happen within our lifetime.

The early Church clearly believed that Christ would come back within their lifetime. This is why they were so ready.

Today I get the sense that most of us here on CAF can’t even list 5 signs of the end times.

The fact is ; we must believe that Christ will come back within our lifetime, just as the early Church did for no one knows when exactly Christ will return. And if you are not ready for his return ,when it happens, you will be left behind like the bridesmaids in the parable.

“ ‘No one knows about that day
or hour, not even the angels in
heaven, nor the Son, but only
the Father’ ” (Matthew 24:36).

‘You also must be ready,
because the Son of Man will
come at an hour when you do
not expect him’ ” (Matthew
24:44).

‘Keep watch, because you do
not know the day or the hour’
” (Matthew 25:13).

" ‘Be on guard! Be alert! You
do not know when that time
will come’ ” (Mark 13:33).

Catholocism emphasizes doing what pleases God because of our love for Him. Fear of the end times is not the right motivation. We have some control over the development of the future. The end times prophecies contain many statements about man’s inhumanity towards man. If we are the salt of the earth, then we must work to preserve the Earth through working for social justice-- the whole of it.

That said, we have two unacceptable choices for the presidency of this country, and there are only whispers at this time about the possibility of a third party. Does that say anything? :frowning:

Well that was a nice use of ad hominem in a a general manner a chara.

Who said anything about fear? All that I was emphasising was that we must adhere to Christ’s command, which was to “Be ready”. As Christians we should not fear the end times but actually rejoice for it signals the second coming of our Lord. We should look forward to the day that Christ comes back, and that must be our motivation!

What people tend to forget is that prophecy is one of the core tenets of faith that make up our Christian identity. To neglect biblical prophecy is to neglect Christ and his commands.

I have no idea what you’re talking about. If this is a reference to American politics then I can’t contribute to this as I am South African and I’m only 19.

Not really. We’re not ‘afraid’ either as the OP seems to suggest.

It just logically doesn’t make sense when our own ends are more predictable and the state of our own life is more within our control than that of the world’s.

To be blunt, I say to fanatics, “Yeah sure, go into your room with all your newspaper clippings and try to guess who the Anti-Christ is. I’ll be over here trying to figure out how to fill my daily quota without my brain collapsing on itself.”

I’d recommend you put some more effort into looking up what an ad hominem actually is mate, and/or read again what I said.

Not really. We’re not ‘afraid’ either as the OP seems to suggest.

It just logically doesn’t make sense when our own ends are more predictable and the state of our own life is more within our control than that of the world’s.

You too. What do you think I was saying? The end times is a fair thing for us to discuss, the scriptures tell us to be ready at any time. Unpreparedness is always foolish and lets face it, a seven year reign of satan incarnate is going to take some real spiritual preparation, so much so that God orders all of us (whether in the first century or the 21st) to be ready.

That doesn’t mean we should make it a number 1 priority over everything else, but it is a concern, especially so should we have ANY possible reason to believe that it might be soon.

The mage casts the spell ‘add user to ignore folder’.

Speaking from my own observation, Prophecy is notoriously abused by those who take it seriously. It is often inappropriately applied and sometimes outrageous claims are made.

Prophecy is also a great field for charlatans and manipulators to work in. There is no good yardstick against which one can say “this is appropriate and this is not”, except to measure against what is already known and taught.

Probably for these reasons the church has emphasized the charism of the teaching authority, exercised by the overseer or supervisor *epi**skopós = *bishop], over prophecy.

Learning and passing on the received faith, cut and dried, is already extremely difficult without adding the speculation of prophecy into the mix.

We in turn can discuss received teachings rather confidently, as a matter of public record. We can agree with them or challenge them but always go back to original sources. With prophecy it can be like discussing the weather forecast.

=Wandile;9294087]Oh my apologies ; Future prophecy.

I understand that we do not believe in private interpretation but wouldn’t it at least be healthy to discuss biblical prophecy to gain a better understanding?

It seems like many Catholics are afraid to speak about the end times and AntiChrist etc.:frowning:

FREIND DO YOU RECALL GOD TELLING US TO “ASK AND RECEIVE?”

So What does God HISMSELF have to say on this topic?

**Matthew 24:29-36 **"Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken; then will appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory; and he will send out his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other. From the fig tree learn its lesson: as soon as its branch becomes tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near. So also, when you see all these things, you know that he is near, at the very gates. Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away till all these things take place. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away. "***But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only. ***

**1Thes.5: 1-13 **“But as to the times and the seasons, brethren, you have no need to have anything written to you. ***For you yourselves know well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. ***

So dear friend why discusss wht Christ tells us 1. We CAN’T know the answer 2. God does not desire that we know the time SO THAT WE WILL ALWAYS BE READY:D and
3. Given these circumstances it seems illogical, even fiilish to speculate: yes:shrug:

God Bless you,
pat/PJM

It would be better if you didn’t block me. Instead, it would be more charitable if you helped me with all these heresies I seem to have growing on my back where I can’t see them, but you seem to.

Darran by all means speak your mind. And Wandile also. We are not trying to deter anyone. Most of us have seen these conversations as Michael had stated go from honest questions of faith, to completely bizaar speculation to fortune telling, then to banned private revelation.

If anyone is skeptical its not of fear or lack of understanding Orthodoxy. Basically it is we have seen this movie before, and rarely does any good come of it. We are here in real time as you are. We know evil manifests itself as the Lord allows. We know in the end God prevails.

We are called to carry our Cross. These are all solid Orthodox/Catholics responding here. No-one is closed to the questions. :shrug:

I never at any point accused you of heresy Darran. Please don’t pretend I did. Hesychios has summed up why I am leery of much of the ‘end-times’ type prophecy which can indeed devolve very quickly.

With all due respect the post you are replying to won’t be understandable to anyone apart from JharekCarnelian.

Unless it’s me reading wrong, there might be a wrong impression getting around of what Wandile is asking.

Biblical prophecy is Biblical, not private revelation or pseudo prophecy. When someone asks a question about biblical prophecy your minds shouldn’t go straight to think about unreputable “prophecies”. There is plenty of Catholic teaching on the matter that can be talked about. It almost seems as though (and this may or may not be true about anyone in this thread) that a lot of people discredit all end-times Biblical prophecy, whether they mean to or not, because of seeing poor examples of it from (lets say it) false prophets. They may be more common this century but it shouldn’t affect anybody’s idea of the orthodox teachings, much less to miss the clear warnings we are given to “be on your guard”.

Makes you also think of another Biblical prophecy regarding the end times, does it not?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.