Why don't we work miracles?

Why is it that we don;t see miracles being worked by the clergy? The way the first apostles worked miracles in Jesus’ name?

Do a little research, there are miracles “performed” today also. The reason I quoted “performed” is I hate that way of describing miracles, as if they are magical tricks or entertainment. sorry

God performs miracles through the clergy every time Mass is said, the miracle of the Eucharist. Sacrament of Reconciliation? Don’t you consider these things miracles?

And what of Pope JPII? He performed an exorcism sometime this century. Isn’t that a miracle? What of Padre Pio? These two are a few examples of other kinds of miracles.

But I think you just need to remember exactly what Real Presence of Christ means and how miraculous it really is.

Maria

Working miracles is a special gift of the Holy Spirit, who gives his gifts to whomever he wills for the building up of the Church. Two recent examples of miracle-working priests that come to mind are St. Pio and Ven. Solanus Casey.

Hello

Miracles are performed, seeing it in a different way from the bible times.

November last year there was an attempted robbery for the car keys in one of the churches where I live, and a priest confronted the robber and was knifed 14 times using a letter opener I think.

Both of his lungs were punctured, he had stabs wounds in his chest, back and head I think.

He survived and still lives in the same house where he was stabbed and serving mass.

The priest was 71 years of age when he was stabbed and did not realise the extent of his injuries at that time.

To me when people are involved also in serious accident and come out unscathed or injured then I believe it is God working hand.

God Bless you.

Saint Andrew.

Ps By the way the man was charged with robbery and attempted murder and got 12 years.

If I may tell you briefly of a miracle which occurred in my family. You won’t hear about it anywhere, it wasn’t in any newspapers, if you’re really interested you can research it, but it was never nor will ever be reported as a miracle. It occurred in Slidell Louisiana. In November of 1992 a 16 year old male was driving home on a rather deserted stretch of highway, coming around a right handed curve at an high rate of speed, his left rear tire blew out. The car left the roadway and literally flew (there were no tracks in the grass or dirt) some 15 feet into a tree. The car impacted the tree on the passengers side and wrapped around the tree. The time of the accident was 1:15 a.m. the young driver had his fathers permission to stay out late that evening for a special occasion. At this part of the highway at this time of the morning there would normally have been no one around to witness the crash or render any assistance, however, for some reason a Louisiana state trooper was sitting at an intersection approximately 1/4 of a mile away with his engine off and his windows open. The trooper heard the crash and went to investigate. There he found my son. He told me that he has heard many people breathe their last breaths and he said he heard Brian breathe his. The trooper got on his radio to call for an ambulance when one appeared, while he was making his first call. Quite surprising for a small town, the ambulance was returning to the hospital from another call and decided to take the short cut via this part of the highway more surprising was that the ambulance had the “jaws of life” . my son had to be cut out from the car. To make a very long story short, my son Brian had seven injuries which the doctors all said should have been fatal. His liver was torn into three separate pieces, his neck was broken, his brain was damaged, his lungs were both blown out, you get the idea? They were so sure that he would not survive they allowed continual visitation while he was in the surgical ICU. The doctor explained that since he was not going to survive we could let his friends say good bye. That was in November 1992, today my son is a computer programmer for a major corporation. Please, don’t tell me miracles don’t happen.

[quote=FightingFat]Why is it that we don;t see miracles being worked by the clergy? The way the first apostles worked miracles in Jesus’ name?
[/quote]

An explanation that I heard in my Protestant days is that at the beginning of the Church, the miracles were needed (they were called “signs”) to get people’s attention. I would note that if “miracles” were everyday occurrences, people would stop wondering at them and treat them as just another natural phenomenon to be explained by science.

• Liberian

This new thread may be of interest to some of the miracle-minded…
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=58093

I believe John Henry Newman gave a wonderful answer concerning this very question. Here is the link. newmanreader.org/works/apologia65/noteb.html

Jesus said, “If you had faith the size of a mustard seed you could tell this tree to uproot itself and plant itself in the sea,” and also, "Whatever you ask of the Father in My name He will give you."
I think the main reason is that we don’t have enough faith. For example, if we prayed and prayed to have the power-(is that the right choice of word) to heal someone, though we were completely confident that Jesus would help us to do it, it would happen if it was God’s will. I know I doubt God sometimes, but I try very hard to have full confidence in Him.

[quote=sanpablo]Jesus said, “If you had faith the size of a mustard seed you could tell this tree to uproot itself and plant itself in the sea,” and also, "Whatever you ask of the Father in My name He will give you."
I think the main reason is that we don’t have enough faith. For example, if we prayed and prayed to have the power-(is that the right choice of word) to heal someone, though we were completely confident that Jesus would help us to do it, it would happen if it was God’s will. I know I doubt God sometimes, but I try very hard to have full confidence in Him.
[/quote]

sanpablo,

If I may disagree with you, my experience is otherwise. When I was 19 I caught pneumonia and my left lung collapsed. I had plenty of faith that God was going to heal me–and heal me He did, to the tune of four days in the hospital with a tube sticking out of my chest. I don’t think it’s correct to say that we don’t work miracles because of our “lack of faith.”

• Liberian

i’ve heard missionaries’ testimonies of miracles, but not of the rc church. someone praying and a room of patients being healed the next day. someone praying and a dead boy rising. etc.

[quote=yqbd]i’ve heard missionaries’ testimonies of miracles, but not of the rc church. someone praying and a room of patients being healed the next day. someone praying and a dead boy rising. etc.
[/quote]

From what I understand(correct me if I am wrong) the Catholic church does not recognize a miracle as occuring until the supposed miracle as been thorougly researched and all doubt has been removed. If the Catholic church says a miracle has been committed, you can trust that they are certain that one has occured. In Protestant churches there isn’t that scrutiny, so it is hard to believe other churches’ miracles.

Read up on Padre Pio, his life was full of miracles. And I thought I read a couple of years ago that there was a priest somewhere in a new england state who had the power of healing.

wc

[quote=sanpablo]Jesus said, “If you had faith the size of a mustard seed you could tell this tree to uproot itself and plant itself in the sea,” and also, "Whatever you ask of the Father in My name He will give you."
[/quote]

You know, I’ve got plenty of Faith that God can and will heal me of my many ailments.
Sometimes the miracles are worked through the doctor’s and medicines that God has provided for us.

[quote=FightingFat]Why is it that we don;t see miracles being worked by the clergy? The way the first apostles worked miracles in Jesus’ name?
[/quote]

Maybe they don’t have the requisite degree of FAITH. Or maybe they have and aren’t publicizing their miracles. Or maybe the media aren’t interested in reporting them. Haven’t you ever noticed that most ‘News’ seems intended to make us feel bad?

Your use of the word “see” is extremely interesting. Whose eyes are most folks seeing the world through? Their own? I don’t think so.

I have no personal experience of him myself, but hasn’t Father Peter Rookey been associated with miraculous events?

smcenter.org/frrookey.htm

[quote=Liberian]sanpablo,

If I may disagree with you, my experience is otherwise. When I was 19 I caught pneumonia and my left lung collapsed. I had plenty of faith that God was going to heal me–and heal me He did, to the tune of four days in the hospital with a tube sticking out of my chest. I don’t think it’s correct to say that we don’t work miracles because of our “lack of faith.”

• Liberian
    [/quote]

I’m not sure, I don’t mean a “lack of faith” as in the way most pepole think of it. I guess I worded it wrong. My main point was saying maybe we need to believe more. I don’t know.

miracles and healings happen in my church all the time…last couple weeks we had back pains and joint pains and various types of sicknesses healed by the laying on of hands. one particular missions trip i went on was in peru, you even mention the name of jesus and people are healed. the deaf can hear the lame can walk. people consumed with cancer get a clean bill of health…happens all the time, not sure how often this occurs in the catholic church but, in mine it is common, especially on missions trips where people are hungry for the things of god…who desire hope and peace and freedom…

Ceasar

Persons manifesting the stigmata-wounds must be seen in this perspective: as literately participating in the sufferings of the crucified Jesus - becoming part of the Mystical Body of Christ - allowing Him to suffer through them. It is thus believed that these individuals are capable of actually reducing the level of suffering in the world by voluntarily acceptance of suffering on their own part.

http://www.livingmiracles.net/Images/IntroLM/Stigmata6b.jpg
The German stigmatic Theresa Neumann (1898-1962).
God works them:)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.