"Why God can tell you what will happen, but your astrological sign cannot." An article in a Catholic newspaper

“While God uses prophets and angels to announce future events, he also rejects false prophets and anything to do with human predicting of the future throughout the Bible.”

"Strong rejections of such things can be found in the book of Deuteronomy, chapter 18: ‘Let there not be found among you anyone who…practices divination, or is a soothsayer, augur, or sorcerer, or who casts spells, consults ghosts and spirits, or seeks oracles from the dead. Anyone who does such things is an abomination to the Lord.’”

“The Catholic Church, through the teachings of the Church Fathers and other saints, has repeatedly rejected the use of any mediums, such as psychics or astrology, to predict the future.”

“Despite this, a recent Pew survey found that 33 percent of Catholics in the US said they believe in the use of astrology, while 46 percent said they believe in the use of psychics.”

“We are to trust in the Lord God alone; He tells us so,” this article ends.

Are we promoting astrology now?

Begone satan

[quote=“mdgspencer, post:1, topic:523898”]
“The Catholic Church, through the teachings of the Church Fathers and other saints, has repeatedly rejected the use of any mediums, such as psychics or astrology, to predict the future.”

In my own opinion,
prophets and angels live by the Spirit, love God with all their hearts, defend God and they are blessed with grace of God and prophecy is the gift of the Holy Spirit.

However, the others do not and maybe live by the earth bound spirits…

Deu 13:3

for the Lord your God is testing you, to know whether you indeed love the Lord your God with all your heart and soul.

Mark 12:30

you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.’

John 5:2 when we love God and obey his commandments.

How is the article “promoting astrology”?

It seems to be doing the opposite.

I admittedly don’t know much about astrology. And I can’t completely lose respect for those that believe it since St. Augustine toyed with it and I respect his intelligence a lot.

But at the same time it takes a certain type of ignorance to think that all people’s futures can be summed up by just 12 signs doesn’t it?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.